News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Spagbook

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Indeed, the Borg Collective can be seen as a failed attempt at a Transhumanist interpretation of the United Federation of Planets.

Quote"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: For the Cause (#4.21)" (1996)
[Eddington has joined the Maquis]
Michael Eddington: [to Sisko] I know you. I was like you once. But then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, Captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands, and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves Paradise, everyone should want to be in the Federation! Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day, they can take their rightful place on the Federation Council. You know, in some ways, you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious, you assimilate people - and they don't even know it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 31, 2014, 02:57:29 AM
Indeed, the Borg Collective can be seen as a failed attempt at a Transhumanist interpretation of the United Federation of Planets.

Michael Eddington: [to Sisko] I know you. I was like you once. But then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, Captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands, and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves Paradise, everyone should want to be in the Federation! Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day, they can take their rightful place on the Federation Council. You know, in some ways, you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious, you assimilate people - and they don't even know it.

You're giving me a geek boner right now.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 31, 2014, 06:22:27 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 31, 2014, 02:57:29 AM

You're giving me a geek boner right now.

Oh?

http://citycyclops.tumblr.com/post/75029752215/if-they-assimilate-him-ill-bet-he-gets-numbered
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Rococo Modem Basilisk

The only real difference between the Borg and the Federation is that the Borg are more effective. The Federation also pressures outsiders into assimilating -- and no doubt if they had a success rate like the Borg's, they would be similarly transparent about their expansionist motivations, rather than having so much empty rhetoric about the (desirable) goal of providing free choice when speaking to roughly equal powers and then turning around and pressuring the weak into joining.

There's also the fact that (up until the structural changes that were introduced as a result of Picard's meddling with that one disconnected group), the Borg was an absolute pure democracy (whereas the Federation is still drawn up along hierarchical lines with a command structure). A pure-democratic organizational structure in combat situations would not be possible without both the augmentation technology that caused a communication speedup (direct wet-wire leading to a hive mind) and the fairly advanced defense technology (pure democracy is slow, even at FTL speeds, which is why it's important that the phasers do nothing).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Salty

I sleep in a hammock, play the uke, own a washboard (which I have tried and failed to wash clothes with) and am generally the living emodiment of Teh Hipster.

So just remember, when you hate, you hate close to home.

But the room is coming along.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

Left

Quote from: Alty on February 01, 2014, 08:16:28 AM
I sleep in a hammock, play the uke, own a washboard (which I have tried and failed to wash clothes with) and am generally the living emodiment of Teh Hipster.

Nice room, I like the colors a lot.  Is the hammock hard on your back at all?
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Salty

Quote from: Random anger problem on February 01, 2014, 08:25:30 AM

Nice room, I like the colors a lot.  Is the hammock hard on your back at all?

It is exactly the opposite, that is why I got it. Bad back, needs carefull attention and daily yoga.

That mayan hammock gently distributes pressure perfectly along my spine.

The Good Reverend Roger

I've met you, and you're no hipster.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Left

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 01, 2014, 03:36:11 PM

What constitutes being a hipster, anyway?
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Random anger problem on February 01, 2014, 04:00:27 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 01, 2014, 03:36:11 PM

What constitutes being a hipster, anyway?

Mainly being young, educated, and liberal. ie. "hip".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Another definition, the one most widely in use these days, is "people you don't like".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

To me, a hipster is someone who does cool things, but you don't think they themselves are cool.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 01, 2014, 05:00:25 PM
To me, a hipster is someone who does cool things, but you don't think they themselves are cool.

That's the most unique and probably one of the best definitions I've seen.

LMNO

Why, thank you!

It's the best way I had to reduce the cognitive dissonance about being a 41-year old indie rock drummer who wears hats and makes his own hot sauce.