News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

Spagbook

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 03, 2014, 06:09:18 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on February 03, 2014, 06:07:38 PM
for instance, a hipster can watch an old Godzilla movie and love it ironically, deriving joy from pointing out how cheesy the effects are, and how hoky the rubber suits are and how bad the plot is,

And then Roger was a Hipster.

I've known it all along. Welcome to the fold.

:lulz:

When you do eventully get a ukulele, make sure to grab some new strings, the stock ones are shit.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on February 03, 2014, 07:06:35 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 03, 2014, 06:09:18 PM
for instance, a hipster can watch an old Godzilla movie and love it ironically, deriving joy from pointing out how cheesy the effects are, and how hoky the rubber suits are and how bad the plot is,

And then Roger was a Hipster.

I've known it all along. Welcome to the fold.

:lulz:

When you do eventully get a ukulele, make sure to grab some new strings, the stock ones are shit.

Strings?  I use only genuine cat gut.  From pure-bred Siamese cats.
\
:snob:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

It sounds better when they're still alive as you collect them.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on February 03, 2014, 12:56:21 PM
I interpreted the comic quite a bit differently. The things they were referencing got increasingly obscure, so there was an air of competition (also indicated by the increasing shortness of references and the speed at which they were thrown out); I'd compare it more to nerd exclusionism -- you know, the YOU'RE NOT A REAL GEEK BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW THE INCREDIBLE HULK'S SHOE SIZE bullshit.

(And, yes, a running gag is that everyone in the comic is a hipster. I don't think the irony of using meta-commentary there was accidental.)
funny you should mention nerds, i was just talking to someone about the difference between nerds and hipsters and i think it's the sincerity of the thing being enjoyed. Nerds and hipsters can like almost exactly the same things but in different ways. for instance, a hipster can watch an old Godzilla movie and love it ironically, deriving joy from pointing out how cheesy the effects are, and how hoky the rubber suits are and how bad the plot is, whereas an kaiju nerd can love the same movie warts and all, despite and indeed sometimes BECAUSE all those elements are there, it "just wouldn't be X if it didn't have Y".
Nerds take pride in loving things no one else likes/knows about because a shared sense of outsiderhood is part of the culture.
Hipsters appropriate things no one else likes/knows about in an attempt to be the most Interesting Mysterious Person in the Room
Hipsters keep the things they like at a distance, Nerds smother the things they love like an overly attached girlfriend.
Hipsters Do it all to be hip and cool and up on the latest underground trends, Nerds do it to show love for their beloved things, and don't care if it's not cool. If fact, it's better if it's not cool, coolness is the ENEMY.

I'm not convinced there *is* a distinction -- anymore. It used to be that nerdiness existed in certain domains, tenuously connected, and other domains were not considered nerdy solely because of social groupings -- there weren't guitar nerds, because people in bands didn't hang out with people who did math for fun, even though music has a deep fundamental connection with mathematics and physics; likewise, pop-culture nerdiness was relegated to mainstream science fiction. But, the internet has brought with it the strange times. Whereas in the 60s if you were working on your PhD in astrophysics and you played guitar you were working for Pink Floyd, in 2005 if you're working on your PhD in astrophysics and play guitar there are three competing discussion forums for people like you, so you can call yourself a guitar nerd and wax on about pulsars and talk about using fucking mersenne primes to compose a new synthetic scale or whatever.

But, as nerdiness expanded to other domains, social stigma receded, and things that had been fundamentally accessible in all but the most arcane details (Star Wars, Batman) became both socially acceptable interests for people who didn't consider themselves nerds. The borders changed. Furthermore, time-binding and searching technology accrued many of the arcane details -- which is why I (as someone who reads comic books only occasionally, and almost never bothers with DC or Marvel productions) can crack jokes about Silver Age Green Lantern being afraid of the color yellow (something that happened for like a year, in like the 70s), and have bystanders who don't read Green Lantern comics either understand the joke. Things that would otherwise be lost in the lore of expensive back-issues and heard about only through word of mouth from older, nerdier nerds are now well-documented on wikipedia, with scholarly references.

As the stigma receded, the question of poseurs entered what had previously been an open domain. But, when nerdiness can mean having a wealth of knowledge about anything, poseurs in the domain of nerdiness merely need to attach themselves to the most common of the obscure-sounding facts. In the Green Lantern example above, I haven't read the arc in question (and most likely couldn't -- long-running franchises rarely get made into trade paperbacks, and when they do they typically avoid including embarassing early mistakes; scans are rare because the issues were collector's items by the time high resolution scans were possible), but I don't think that constitutes poseur behavior because nobody would assume I read that arc -- everybody knows about Green Lantern's prehistory now. But, in other situations it gets tricky -- references to the scouring of the shire could be interpreted as evidence of having read the entirety of the LotR trilogy, for instance.

Right now, I'd class hipsterism as a paranoid self-destructive purity test by nerd-poseurs to exclude other nerd-poseurs -- a kind of accumulated culture of shibboleths, like punk but with less of a lifestyle/attitude component.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yep.

When I was 22-ish I was hanging out with my nerd friends... and I am talking about hardcore nerds, the self-taught programmers, hackers, the people who hung out on dialup BBSes in the 80's and 90's... and we were having this conversation about how wasn't it crazy that all of a sudden we live in an era where being a nerd is cool? Like, ten years ago, it wasn't cool to be a nerd. We felt like we were on top of the world, sitting in this dingy puke-colored-carpet apartment in Portland, Oregon, a city which was not yet hip and had a shitty economy, talking about moving places like Seattle and San Francisco where prospects were bright and there were industries for bright young geeky people like us.

So now it's cool to be nerdy and everybody hates hipsters, and all my friends who were geeks when we were teenagers are "hipsters" now.

Whatever.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on February 04, 2014, 12:16:25 AM
Right now, I'd class hipsterism as a paranoid self-destructive purity test by nerd-poseurs to exclude other nerd-poseurs -- a kind of accumulated culture of shibboleths, like punk but with less of a lifestyle/attitude component.

I like this definition.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LOOK AT THIS FUCKING HIPSTER!

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

My hair is light salmon. LOOK AT THAT HIPSTER   :oops:

Eater of Clowns

Fred, you will forgive me, but there have been paintings, sonnets, and quite possibly entire wars inspired by things less pretty than your eyes.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Salty

Agreed.

Also that tapestry thing hanging behind you is pretty dang sweet.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Sacs on February 04, 2014, 09:30:35 PM

I see you're getting good use out of those holy icons I sent you.

Don't ask them about the NFL, though.  They are useless for that.  USELESS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Richter

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 05, 2014, 04:49:57 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Sacs on February 04, 2014, 09:30:35 PM

I see you're getting good use out of those holy icons I sent you.

Don't ask them about the NFL, though.  They are useless for that.  USELESS.

If I dont blink maybe it will go away and I can slip out with an intact anus...

oh shit im fucked
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

tried to make my hair white....this is as close as I got for now. I'LL SEE U AGAIN IN A MONTH, BLEACH  :argh!:

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ