News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

A recipe for sleep!

Started by phi, January 23, 2010, 08:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phi

I have difficulty sleeping most nights and an even harder time waking up. Sleeping pills don't work and alcohol on its own doesn't allow for restful sleep. So I came up with this (somewhat obvious) recipe to promote good sleep and alcoholism:

• Sex
  • Whiskey
  • Melatonin

It's simple! I traded over an hour of tossing and turning for a few minutes of laying there relaxed...

Of course, if your mom isn't available, I generally go with just the whiskey and melatonin.
Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 24, 2010, 03:44:12 AM
Only 41 more posts til Clue Jr!
Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on January 24, 2010, 05:43:57 AM
You're some kind of off-balancing piece of shit that just tears a hole in the whole god damned spectrum of life and creates a friggin mess out of everything.

Elder Iptuous

wow.
that's amazing, Zarathustra...

phi

Quote from: Iptuous on January 23, 2010, 09:12:21 PM
wow.
that's amazing, Zarathustra...

Your sarcasm aside, I feel it is fairly amazing. I am biased however as before that I was having serious issues that started to interfere with work.

Although I feel there should probably be a "Surgeon General's" warning to this recipe, as frequent use of Melatonin can lead to Melatoninism. Remember, it's a disease, not just an addiction. Also, because of legal ramifications, I suggest excluding the Melatonin if you're under the legal age in your area to take it.
You're some kind of off-balancing piece of shit that just tears a hole in the whole god damned spectrum of life and creates a friggin mess out of everything.

Triple Zero

how do you take melatonin? does it come in pills?

btw instead of sex (or in addition), you can also exercise, go for a run, take a hot shower afterwards, I promise you, within an hour or two you will want to sleep. maybe eat some proteins in the mean while cause that's good for you.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Yeah, exercising no later than an hour before bed is a good one.

Also, don't do anything in your bed but sleep and have sex.  Reading, surfing the internet or listening to music on your bed, for me, makes it harder to associate going there merely with sleeping.  Also, while I dislike the sort of sleeping pills that knock you out, if you take the readily available "herbal" sleeping pills and allow yourself to relax, then they can be very helpful.  I'll check exactly what the active ingredient is, next time I buy some.

Aufenthatt

Quote from: phi on January 23, 2010, 09:53:20 PM
Also, because of legal ramifications, I suggest excluding the Melatonin if you're under the legal age in your area to take it.

Is that the one that puts you into SWS but supresses REM?

Aufenthatt
Remembers sleep stages from musical conotations

Richter

Chamomile tea and white noise (fan, heater, audio track on repeat, Simplynoise.com thanks to Cramulus)

Like Cain said, be careful WHEN you exercise, but a hard workout, light dinner, and period of quiet seclusion (reading, gaming, crafting) help too.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: phi on January 23, 2010, 08:06:14 PM
Sleeping pills don't work

Yes, they do.  I've been bludgeoning myself to sleep with high-powered drugs for quite some time now.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

phi

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2010, 06:51:04 PM

Yes, they do.  I've been bludgeoning myself to sleep with high-powered drugs for quite some time now.

I meant in my personal case. I should have said "they make me anxious, take large amounts to work, and prevent me from waking up a reasonable time after"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: phi on January 27, 2010, 10:02:48 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 27, 2010, 06:51:04 PM

I meant in my personal case. I should have said "they make me anxious, take large amounts to work, and prevent me from waking up a reasonable time after"

There's probably a downside.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

white noise .. I'm not sure, I tried meditating/yoga exercises once with the stuff on in the background. I didn't realize the sort of pressure it was putting on me, until afterwards I switched it off and felt this relief similar to an auditory version of taking off a pair of just-too-small boots after a long walk.

I dunno, but in that sense I feel it might drown out other sounds, but I don't expect to be really well-rested with the sound pressure flushing over me all ngiht.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 28, 2010, 08:52:09 PM
white noise .. I'm not sure, I tried meditating/yoga exercises once with the stuff on in the background. I didn't realize the sort of pressure it was putting on me, until afterwards I switched it off and felt this relief similar to an auditory version of taking off a pair of just-too-small boots after a long walk.

I dunno, but in that sense I feel it might drown out other sounds, but I don't expect to be really well-rested with the sound pressure flushing over me all ngiht.

My littler kiddo sleeps with a white noise machine every night. (or as i just now decided to call it, 'aural whiskey'...)
He had a helluva time sleeping in the beginning, and the noise machine from the previous kiddo (who preferred the ocean wave noise) was broked....
Got a new one, and it works like madjique.  It seems the ocean wave is less to his liking though.  It seems to work best on the pink noise setting.
I think noise is a common sleep aid.  People used to living by the beach don't sleep very soundly without it.
I lived for many years on an airforce base with the sound of cargo planes coming and going at all hours.  It took a long time to be able to sleep without it, and I never did quite shed the longing for the airplanes in my sleep.  Now I'm close enough to DFW airport that it helps a little bit.
I had a work assignment recently where I was installing a trainer on an airforce base where the AWACS were coming in all night.  I slept like a friggin baby...
Some people that get used to living in the city go batshit if they move to a rural area.  I've seen tapes for sale of various urban environments.
Sleep and noise, I think is highly individual, I think...

Richter

Quote from: Iptuous on January 28, 2010, 10:19:19 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on January 28, 2010, 08:52:09 PM

My littler kiddo sleeps with a white noise machine every night. (or as i just now decided to call it, 'aural whiskey'...)
He had a helluva time sleeping in the beginning, and the noise machine from the previous kiddo (who preferred the ocean wave noise) was broked....
Got a new one, and it works like madjique.  It seems the ocean wave is less to his liking though.  It seems to work best on the pink noise setting.
I think noise is a common sleep aid.  People used to living by the beach don't sleep very soundly without it.
I lived for many years on an airforce base with the sound of cargo planes coming and going at all hours.  It took a long time to be able to sleep without it, and I never did quite shed the longing for the airplanes in my sleep.  Now I'm close enough to DFW airport that it helps a little bit.
I had a work assignment recently where I was installing a trainer on an airforce base where the AWACS were coming in all night.  I slept like a friggin baby...
Some people that get used to living in the city go batshit if they move to a rural area.  I've seen tapes for sale of various urban environments.
Sleep and noise, I think is highly individual, I think...

Total quiet can be a REAL mindfuck if you don't usually experience it. 
I usually have some combo of fan, heater, music, or white noise going while I sleep.  (Not that lack of noise bugs me, I sleep great out away from urban noise.  Depending how I'm sleeping, I WILL snap awake every time someone comes in, or touches my door otherwise.)
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Triple Zero

except in a "dead" room, where's this total quiet you speak of?

there's always loads of stuff to be heard outside the urban areas.

well maybe not in the desert, I've never been in a desert, so I couldn't say. but your average field or forest makes a fuckload of noise, if you just listen. very pretty noise, even!

Richter

Sometimes, other times it can get oppressively quiet.  This happens more in houses out in the woods; the minimal outside noise gets muffled very easily.