News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

Careers, life choices etc

Started by NotPublished, January 24, 2010, 03:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotPublished

Crap ... Well its one of those things.

I have known for a bit of time that I don't want to remain in programming, the money is great but it is probably the last thing I want to do for my life. Considering I just don't like it (or am I just burnt out? I don't know the difference)

I guess if someone does something for a prolonged amount of time, your bound to get over it. I was one of those kids who started young, I picked up programming around 10-11 years old.

How did you guys find out what you wanted to do? Did you somehow instinctively know? Or did you pick something and just stuck with it? Or in some cases, end up doing what you didn't want to do?

Does anyone know of ANY resources that I can consult? Quizs, articles etc? Or does anyone have any life-experience they'd like to share? :)

My ultimate plan is to get a careers advisor, so I am searching around for one - I think there are some services provided for free by the Government, so that'll be my first stop.

Anyhow, thank you very much.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Dysnomia

What else do you like to do?  I'm one of those weird people who thinks people should do what they like.  So what do you like?  What makes you happy?

--

For me it's horses.  Horses, horses horses.  People who meet me for the first time find out I love them in about 5 minutes.  For a while I wanted to be a trainer, but I don't have the money, or experience, and keeping my bones intact isn't too shabby either.  People have told me that I should be a vet, but I never pay attention in science classes, and HATE going to school.  Not to mention having to put a horse down would break my heart.  For a while I kicked around the idea of being a farrier or a barefoot trimmer (farrier for non horsey people is someone who shoes horses, a trimmer, is someone who trims and doesn't use shoes), but I can't physically handle the backbreaking work of bending over all day holding on to some wiggly ill-mannered horse's leg.  So for a while I've sort of drifted, and work at a preschool because I like kids, and am good with them.  Part of my personality too, is that I generally care for people, and give my heart and soul to my friends or boyfriends (without being a doormat, and am a royal bitch if fucked with).  Not to mention, I'm also into alt. therapies and healing.  So after some kicking around, and lots of reading I decided to go become certified as an Equine body worker so I can help horses feel better.  The idea might change in the future, but at the moment, that's what I want to do.  Though I'd also like to rescue/retrain/rehome horses when I can afford to do so.   :)
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Salty

GYAGHHHHH!

I wrote a long ass reply and my damned phone died on me right before I posted.

I'm dissatisfied as a massage therapist and it's just hitting. I had a lot of idealism (and subtle ego-tripping) when I chose this field.

One of the reasons I chose it was I thought it was an escape from The Man.
HA! The only way I can (in theory) reasonably earn a living is to scrape the crusty under-belly of insurance companies. People just squeaking by in their need and entitlement to receive and offer pain-relief therapies. And even then it's hard to get it going and maintain.

For queer, male LMT's wanting to work in Alaska and not give happy endings: Don't advertise on craiglist. Just don't. Maybe this is common sense to other people, wasn't to me.

Admittedly, I'm not the best therapist. Oh, my hands are very talented, so I've got it where it counts the most. At least, that's what I thought. But I don't get along with people. I'm moody, aloof. People are either put off by my distance or put off by my loud, opinionated tactlessness. But: "Every day, in every way I'm getting better and better."

I'm tired of working with quacks, the vocally anti-vaccine, passive-aggressive hippies...If I meet one more LMT who does "energy" work when they're getting paid to do connective tissue work I will break their worthless wrists.

Then again, it might just be January and I haven't gotten a massage in a couple months, which make me resentful.

The two things I still like about are: 1. I get to remember, every day, that we're just bags of barely rotting meat. Politics, religion, philosophy, PFFFFFT. Meatbags. EOS. This is simplification on my part, but you get the idea. 2. It's...a tactile thing. Feeling all those little areas, coaxing, relaxing. I can't quite describe it. It feels like the only art I'm good at. I lose track of time.

Either way I'm going to school. Either English with an emphasis on rhetoric, technical writing, editing, grant writing, etc. OR Biology as it is the best available hard science in my area. I would like Physics but I'd rather not deal with -40 F winters if I can help it. I enjoy the act of writing, and I'm fascinated by the roots of life. Especially anatomy. I fucking love anatomy. Would like to be a coroner/forensic pathologist as it lines up perfectly with my people skills. But I should have thought about that before getting Mrs. Alty "All Pregnant And Shit". Also, the pressure.

I agree with SPS. You should find what you like to do and ATTACK IT. Even if you're wrong, at least you'll know and will have learned SOMETHING useful.

I believe most universities have tests you can take that show you what you have aptitude for. But I don't know how accurate those are.

What is it you like to do?

Sorry. Is long. I've had this stuff on my mind a lot lately.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

when thinking about what i wanted to major in at college i just picked what i sucked the least at  :D

Cain

Sir Squid Diddimus

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Go to college undeclared. Just start taking classes. See what you like.

or

Make a list of jobs you think might be interesting. Find people with those jobs. Ask to shadow them.

NotPublished

Oh wow! Thank you for sharing those stories guys!

SPS - Aww horsies!!! But what you said provided a very good perspective.

QuoteWhat else do you like to do?
QuoteWhat is it you like to do?

Alot of things, but generally I am a bit of a mother-goose (caring), music, reading, being creative (god only knows what is involved in that), talking (It is a hobby right? haha), exercise and helping people heal.

I was having thoughts of going into Psychology, but I am not sure if I have alot of patience to help people on an emotional/mental level. Then I thought about getting into Massage, but now I'm mixed between Physio Therapy or Health & Diet.

I was speaking to my sister not long ago and I was massaging her and she suggested I should look into doing Physio ...

So I think I have a general idea where I am looking at atm, but am I just hyping myself up? The idea appeals to me alot though.

Alty - Whoa! Wait so you work massage therapist? It sounds a bit whacked from your description - and kind of hard to maintain, alot of competition from alt. therapies

QuoteFor queer, male LMT's wanting to work in Alaska and not give happy endings: Don't advertise on craiglist. Just don't. Maybe this is common sense to other people, wasn't to me.
:lulz: :lulz: You have to share that story one day if you'd please :)

Good luck with the school though!

NotPublished

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on January 24, 2010, 06:41:45 AM
Go to college undeclared. Just start taking classes. See what you like.

or

Make a list of jobs you think might be interesting. Find people with those jobs. Ask to shadow them.

I would, but I'm employed full time as a programmer. I need to make a decision, because if I'm going to go take classes I have to make arrangements to help out around home somehow.

But I like your #2, I'll do that for sure

NotPublished

Lies

If you want a quiz to see what might be in your area, you could try doing a myers-briggs personality test, it can be helpful and insightful in times like yours.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp There's one to get your started. Good luck.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

NotPublished

Thanks for that! The test recommended

-Counseling      
 -Psychology      
 -Social Work      
 -Education      
 -Physician    
 -Science      
 -Computer Programming        
 -Management  
 -Fashion Merchandising    
 -Politics  

So I've decided at this stage I'm going to research further into either Psychology, Councelling or Physician. I know of a physio who used to treat me so I suppose that is my first stop. Monday I'm ment to be meeting a client, so this will be the perfect opportunity for me to go around.

Lies

out of curiosity, what personality type did you get?
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

NotPublished

ENFJ * sorry

http://www.humanmetrics.com/vocation/JCI.asp?EI=22&SN=-25&TF=-12&JP=0.6

Not sure about the Judging part, but thats my result.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Alty on January 24, 2010, 05:29:15 AM
For queer, male LMT's wanting to work in Alaska and not give happy endings: Don't advertise on craiglist. Just don't. Maybe this is common sense to other people, wasn't to me.

(...)

But I should have thought about that before getting Mrs. Alty "All Pregnant And Shit".

sorry for threadjacking with perhaps a personal question, but this is puzzling me. how can you be a queer male and have a Mrs Alty you got pregnant :? queer means homosexual, right? :?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.