News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

Validation as a means of existance

Started by NotPublished, January 27, 2010, 01:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotPublished

I've been meaning to write this topic up for awhile now, but I keep getting side tracked.

The reasoning behind this rant is loosely based on people I know - cause everytime I log into facebook, I don't care who fucking ate what.

But it got me thinking ... I find that it is expanding, the need to be validated based on general everyday actions. I mean, I find myself falling into the trap from time-to-time - saying things I hope people will notice, then I realise that it's not me and then I feel like a douche for even saying something ... then I take it out by mocking others.

But that's beside the point, I want to understand the reasoning behind it.

My take on it is -

Is it because as children, most are praised when you do something right, but as an adult - even if you feel you've earned the praise; someone along the lines just doesn't want to feed it to you. So like the caged monkey you are, you start to throw yourself at the bars - and still they don't look. Is this just a learned habbit?

That got me thinking further.

Once you give someone the praise they desire soo bad. It is like the key to their heart, because at an extreme level if a person is unsure about themselves and are cut off from other sources of praise - except your own, it just makes them feel soo good about themselves. They'll continue on keeping you happy (up to the point when they wake up and snap out of it) for the sake of being praised. Cause your giving them a validation to their existance. By knowing what makes a person tick, they can serve you up to a point. It is almost like the relationship between the Employer and the Employee, however instead of being paid in money your paid with sweet praises. (An Employer who gives sweet praises is almost a bonus!)

I think I'm side tracking myself here with my own mental masturbation. I am more than likely looking through biased eyes of a Generation X child

Why do most people do anything? Are they doing it so they can get praised for it? Or do they truly know what they are doing and they aren't doing it for the cookies?

I try look at the relationship I had with my parents, more than often I found myself doing things just so it'll please them - it took me awhile to break out of that loop to form my own independance. I guess I am looking at it all from a childs view.

But fuck, I look at the people I know in my life - and I just can't help but think they are doing stupid stuff just to be noticed (for the lulz) cause they feel like they aren't intelligent.

What is all this shit ???

eta : Now I remembered why I quit thinking.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

NotPublished

What you said makes perfect sense.

As for being alone - I do not fear it. But it is something I do not want.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

BluTakDuck

Welcome to the internet.

On a slightly less sarcastic note. You will, if you engage any of these people on the street, find that they are exactly the same in real life. (or IRL as i have learned is the correct acronym)

These are the kind of people who would go to local council meetings with half an idea of what they are upset about or rallying against, in the vain hope that someone will look at them. Or pay attention, if it's a particularly good night for them.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that, in an effort to make money, websites first started giving the idea that people cared, or even were interested in listening to, anyone (and i mean ANYONE) and their opinions on everything.

The BBC used to have a program called Points of View. On it, they would read out the letters of people who had complaints about the shows that had been broadcast that week. Whether it was that they didn't like the violence or foul language in some drama, or that there wasn't enough tit shots in an art film that had been accidentally shown on a wednesday afternoon as part of their "culture" remit.

Giving people a place to voice their opinion gives people the impression that they have some semblance of control over their world. When in fact, it is the place where people go to exercise their opinions, believing that it means that they have any say whatsoever in the larger scheme of things. Now that people are more able to view the larger scheme, a larger forum for "look at me" has to be provided. The internet has done so, and with great gusto.

The problems arise when people take it seriously, and think that writing words into the ether counts as political activism, or hipster-ism...or any one of the other hundreds of "counter culture" scenarios that now pass for "life"

in other words. Welcome to the internet.
</sarcasm>