News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Obama asserts the right to assassinate American citizens who pose security risk

Started by Cain, January 27, 2010, 04:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Can any of you actually give any reason to doubt that these 3 men are not al-Qaeda operatives?

Yes, there were some very serious intelligence fuck ups but I haven't heard any reason to doubt that these guys are innocent civilians.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 05, 2010, 09:55:53 PM
Can any of you actually give any reason to doubt that these 3 men are not al-Qaeda operatives?

Yes, there were some very serious intelligence fuck ups but I haven't heard any reason to doubt that these guys are innocent civilians.

Burden of proof rests on the prosecution.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 05, 2010, 11:06:41 PM

The whole point of limited government is that before your government axes your head off, they need to convince a jury that you're guilty.  If they have sufficient evidence, there shouldn't be a problem convincing a jury.  If they don't have sufficient evidence, they shouldn't be killing people over it.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 05, 2010, 11:06:41 PM

There is no prosecutor.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Reginald Ret

if they are, give them a fair trial.
if they aren't, give them a fair trial.

is complicated?
i dont think so.

they come running at you shooting? shoot them first. but that is not what we are bitching aboot.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Ok, I think you guys are missing the point.

This doesn't apply to people who have been arrested or apprehended. This applies to a situation where an American citizen is abroad and happens to be taking part in military operations against their own country. It's a fail-safe for a situation where, if there wasn't an American citizen, they would just strike. Instead, they go and confirm that they have permission to strike because a U.S. citizen is involved. If this wasn't in place, they'd just go ahead without consulting anyone.

This is not a fucking clandestine assassination, it's a military strike. When al-Qaeda operatives are taken out, the government announces it and tells people what was done and why it was done. The military is not a law-enforcement agency and it shouldn't function as one.

Are there things the military does that it shouldn't do? Yes.
Could it do certain things in a more effective way? Yes.
Should it take more steps to protect innocent people? Fuck yes.

Is this one of those things? No. Not even close.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 09, 2010, 05:40:02 PM

This doesn't apply to people who have been arrested or apprehended. This applies to a situation where an American citizen is abroad and happens to be taking part in military operations against their own country. It's a fail-safe for a situation where, if there wasn't an American citizen, they would just strike. Instead, they go and confirm that they have permission to strike because a U.S. citizen is involved. If this wasn't in place, they'd just go ahead without consulting anyone.

This is not a fucking clandestine assassination, it's a military strike. When al-Qaeda operatives are taken out, the government announces it and tells people what was done and why it was done.

I'm okay with that, AtD.  It's just that these things creep, you know?

Molon Lube

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 09, 2010, 05:42:19 PM

This is not a fucking clandestine assassination, it's a military strike. When al-Qaeda operatives are taken out, the government announces it and tells people what was done and why it was done.

Yeah, I know what you mean and it's supposed to be our job (Americans anyways) to make sure they don't creep. Sadly we seem to be doing a piss-poor at making sure there's a good balance of power between the branches of our government and that they accurately represent the people. I guess we all find television more important than ensuring our government functions properly.

Boooooooriiiiing.
\
:joshua:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 09, 2010, 05:46:34 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean and it's supposed to be our job (Americans anyways) to make sure they don't creep. Sadly we seem to be doing a piss-poor at making sure there's a good balance of power between the branches of our government and that they accurately represent the people. I guess we all find television more important than ensuring our government functions properly.

Boooooooriiiiing.
\

That's a polite way of saying "51%+ of Americans think we have an emperor".

:lulz:
Molon Lube

Jenne

Boooooooriiiiing.
\

:mittens:

Also, why is the DURRR Neanderthal guy called "joshua"?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on February 09, 2010, 06:54:30 PM

Boooooooriiiiing.
\

:mittens:

Also, why is the DURRR Neanderthal guy called "joshua"?

That's the character's name.  It's from a children's show.  No shit.
Molon Lube

Jenne

Elder Iptuous