News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

The Dreaming LARP

Started by Cramulus, January 27, 2010, 11:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on February 05, 2010, 07:04:08 PM
I imagine that could generate a lot of drama, too. If your group "owns" your city, they'll want to get back at whoever stole it from them...

but the good kind of drama, right?

as in, "dramatic", which is good for roleplaying.

or not? in any case I like the idea, though if you think it generates too much bad drama, maybe it needs a rule tweak?

maybe it could be something like "sacred ground" where you're not allowed to fight.

or perhaps when a group "owns" the city hall, they can do a ritual to hallow or unhallow the location and possible move the "hub" or "center of command" of a city to a different location than city hall?

and just city hall?

how about other landmarks? what if I would want to own the Dom in Cologne?

fuck.

how do I do that, Cram? I'll take that pretty bridge next to it, too.

I mean, I'm not too often in Cologne [like maybe 5 times a year], but as long as nobody in that area of Germany is playing I could hold on to it yeah?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

I'n in a similar boat as BAI, but it's more that I don't really have time to organize an evening of IRL hijinx.

But I wonder... Would there be a place in the Dreaming for a MGT-like character?  A solitary who does a few IRL things, pics/blogs it, which affects the game in some way.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 05, 2010, 04:08:27 PM
QuoteBut I am looking for more ideas about SINGLE PLAYER DREAMWALKS - game activities you can do if you're all alone. What kind of adventures can you get into without needing other people?

Hmmmm.

You would have to have some kind of explicit knowledge of the players home location, and set them a task to do

(thing A) in (local B) while taking them on trust, or, demanding digita cam evidence for you xp points.

QuoteI wonder if there are ways you could create dreamlike environments where people will see these posters. For example, I've always wanted to hide a CD player somewhere playing eerie music, and then put some lights up in trees, so you get this moment of surreal atmosphere in the middle of a pedestrian walkway...

I'd do this. There are a tonne of re purposed consumer tech you can do this kind of thing with. Yeah. I know. I can hear you guys going "But HFLS/BAI what can I use for a cheap assed public repetition musical voice / cheap arsed eeffect?"

I say. Go to monstromart (Walmart) and spend 7.99$ on some of those '30 second repeating novelty record yer own sfx in a card' cards. 30$ worth, mixed with a 7$ light sensitive solar garden light, couple of wires, has given me an randomly repeatin self powered gibberish spouter. kinda wank till I build it a cool looking case, make it say something "topical" and jam it somewhere where the media pigs will notice/.////////error in rant undef OT

but  SINGLE PLAYER DREAMWALKS eh?

are you needing verification of said quest completion or not/? basically is it trust or evidence.

The book Robots Androids and Animatrons by John Iovine has instructions for something similar -- except that it is self-propelling in a christmas globe (in other words, not only does it talk, but it also rolls around). I will see if I can find the original instructions in some format with not much typing, but it was something like this: mount the recorder and solar cells on a plate small enough to fit easily in the transparent plastic ball, with a weight on the bottom of the plate (to keep it more or less upright), affix it to an axle so that it can spin freely, mount a motor on the bottom suitable to be driven by the solar cell along with the sound chip/speakers, and have it drive the axle, then mount the axle rigidly on the inside of the ball.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Richter

Bit of a sidenote / idea that hit me, could a Dreamwalk be written around a convention?

Conscript wakes for either side of a tournament over who controls a given area maybe? 

I love the possibilities for a couple people, into their characters, to REALLY put on a show, and add some intrigue to a simple boffer event that anyone wandering through a convention could get into.   

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

LMNO

throwing something like that into a huge group of like-minded folks could yeild huge results.

Doing this at a con almost seems mandatory, in retrospect.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am totally digging this whole Dreaming larp thing, and I wish I had more time to read up and wrap my head around it. If I get some free time I might want to see if I can get abreast of it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: LMNO on February 08, 2010, 07:06:13 PM
throwing something like that into a huge group of like-minded folks could yeild huge results.

Doing this at a con almost seems mandatory, in retrospect.

Kallisticon might be a good venue.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cramulus

Quote from: Richter on February 08, 2010, 07:04:03 PM
Bit of a sidenote / idea that hit me, could a Dreamwalk be written around a convention?

Truth be told, the epic 3 year plan is to make mad loot running adventures and selling merch at conventions.

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 06, 2010, 01:01:39 PM
how about other landmarks? what if I would want to own the Dom in Cologne?

Another great idea. Will think more on this...

Quote from: LMNO on February 06, 2010, 03:19:31 PM
I'n in a similar boat as BAI, but it's more that I don't really have time to organize an evening of IRL hijinx.

But I wonder... Would there be a place in the Dreaming for a MGT-like character?  A solitary who does a few IRL things, pics/blogs it, which affects the game in some way.

well there's going to be two levels of gameplay
-one in the flesh,
-and one on the net

To the extent that the conversations we have and media we post on the internet is going to become fuel for the conversations we have in the game, yes you can probably influence the game without having a meatspace party you roll with.

Using only the internet, you can start groups/guilds/organizations, debate philosophy (is it wrong to murder someone in a dream?), provoke people into action, or rally people for a cause.

I've got a few more interesting ideas for single player dreamwalks... more on that later...

if you want a sneak peek, look up Songlines on wikipedia   ;)

I think the class page is more or less finished, except I still need a few things for summoners: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/cramulus/index.php?title=Dreaming_Class
some more new rules/skill info being developed here: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/cramulus/index.php?title=Dreaming_Race_Skills
and setting info here: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/cramulus/index.php?title=Beyond_the_Veil

Cramulus

The map is working!

Everybody who's playing - go put a pin in your location  :mrgreen:

http://dreamings.ning.com/page/4797885:Page:60

Cramulus

new Dream Walks:

--Land War, in which you capture land by photographing yourself in front of it
--Possession, in which you play Clue to find out whose body is the host for a powerful Demon
--Capture the Flag... in which you play capture the flag using Dreaming rules.

Cramulus

some art for the Dreaming:

Roaring Biscuit!

not really that into larping, but well into arting :)

The Wizard

Given that I live in redneck hell, and I can't even get a pen and paper group together, I'd probably have to stick to solo adventures. But I'm interested in this.
Insanity we trust.

Cramulus

DREAMING ALPHA TEST ANNOUNCED:

http://dreamings.ning.com/profiles/blogs/alpha-test

Are you looking to ehlp build something new and exciting? I promise nobody has ever played a game like this before. We are pioneering our own genre here, nobody knows how it will unfold.

If you're interested in playing, reading, or participating in any way, come make a character and check in on the forums. We've still got a few weeks until the test begins. I am excited as fuck. Are you excited as fuck?

For those of you who are going to be playing "solo" for geographical or social reasons, you're still free to make a character and post on the forums. There are a few Dream Walks you can go on with no party, and more will be posted over the coming weeks.

Your feedback is essential, and will have a huge impact on how the game develops, so please let me know how this looks.

Richter

I'm psyched about this idea as a whole.  Won't be for everyone, but I think there's a lot of potential appeal for folks.  It fills a gap between the lack of physical activity in tabletop, but don't want to, or can't always get away for weekend warrior-ing.  (at least 2 potential LARP'ers  I know have had to miss for financial reasons.)

Need to reg myself.  What were you thinking for the alpha testing?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat