News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

Altruistic robots produced through evolution

Started by Iason Ouabache, January 29, 2010, 03:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on February 05, 2010, 08:47:29 AM
IMHO, altruism is over-rated anyways. More often then not it is pure illusion. What appears to be selfless behavior is really meant to protect a gene or meme. Plus no one would be altruistic if it didn't give us an over-inflated sense of self-righteousness, you fucking hedonists.

Hey... I like doing things for other people with no benefit to me, and it doesn't make me feel self-righteous. :sad:

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on February 05, 2010, 06:19:49 PM
IMHO, altruism is over-rated anyways. More often then not it is pure illusion. What appears to be selfless behavior is really meant to protect a gene or meme. Plus no one would be altruistic if it didn't give us an over-inflated sense of self-righteousness, you fucking hedonists.

Hey... I like doing things for other people with no benefit to me, and it doesn't make me feel self-righteous. :sad:

It means that your neighbours will survive at your expense, come the revolution (or something).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Freeky

No, I don't think so. When push comes to shove, it's a different matter entirely.

Iason Ouabache

You got enjoyment from helping others. You got your reward, hedonist. ;)
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: FP on February 05, 2010, 03:05:31 PM
From a zoological perspective, altruism is a useful pattern in studying genetically-influenced behaviour in individuals.  So to say that a potentially altruistic individual hastens their own death only to protect genetics present in a group, or because they exist in a society where this is mutually beneficial, is both restating the obvious and missing the point.

I assumed, given the subject matter, we were talking about zoological altruism?
I don't see a difference between zoological and non-zoological altruism. Actions are actions whether they come from an organic machine or a metal/silicon machine.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Freeky

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on February 05, 2010, 08:04:15 PM

:lulz:

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: FP on February 04, 2010, 02:11:34 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on February 04, 2010, 09:18:14 AM
Quote from: FP on February 04, 2010, 09:11:37 AM
Moreover, I disagree with the premise that altruism requires "intentionality (and sentimentality)".  Or either, even.  Certainly, in this context, having a sentient AI which could answer questions like those posed above would be a far greater achievement than altruism.

Not really.  iGod can answer questions like that.  On the other hand it can't do any of the things the "altruistic" robots can do.
I assume you're joking - iGod is just A.L.I.C.E. -  it matches against patterns in sentence structure but has no comprehension of the conversation, other than a few pre-programmed responses on predictable subjects.  It's a clever trick, but it's not sentience.

I didn't say it was Sentient, it clearly isn't.  But if you were to ask it those questions it would answer you.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Jasper

By your standard of altruism there can be no such thing.

Your definition of altruism is therefore dysfunctional.

Altruism is only definable in terms of humanistic feeling.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 07, 2010, 06:54:17 PM

By your standard of altruism there can be no such thing.

Your definition of altruism is therefore dysfunctional.

Obviously, my definition of unicorn is dysfunctional.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Jasper

QuoteObviously, my definition of unicorn is dysfunctional.

It's more likely than you think.

Captain Utopia

Human altruism is only definable in terms of humanistic feeling, zoological altruism is a observable behaviour pattern in some other creatures.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: FP on February 07, 2010, 09:18:39 PM
Human altruism is only definable in terms of humanistic feeling, zoological altruism is a observable behaviour pattern in some other creatures.
real altruism can't occur in a evolving system.
'humanistic altruism' cant occur outside of humans.
these robots are selfish bastards either way.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Captain Utopia

Reginald Ret

i think i mean what you call zoological altruism.
i just call it altruism.