News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Sorry Anne Frank, and I'ma let you finish...

Started by Dysnomia, January 30, 2010, 02:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Suu on February 02, 2010, 03:12:15 PM
If it makes you feel better, we learned way too much about Nazis AND those bad communists instead of paying attention to important things in American History like the Japanese concentration camps and the continuation of the slave trade through parts of the country (*cough*RHODEISLAND*cough*) after abolitionism went into effect.

Everyone knows American History is just a series wars with boring spaces between them.

We never really touched on the USSR after 1945.  I know there are modules about it which can be done, but our history teacher was uncomfortable with it, since he knew British history much better than Russia.

Strangely enough, we did cover the extension of the vote and the working poor in Britain in the 18th to early 20th century as well, which was pretty interesting, in its own way.  I didn't appreciate it enough at the time, but it is useful and fairly relevant (especially right now). 

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 02, 2010, 03:20:22 PM
If it makes you feel better, we learned way too much about Nazis AND those bad communists instead of paying attention to important things in American History like the Japanese concentration camps and the continuation of the slave trade through parts of the country (*cough*RHODEISLAND*cough*) after abolitionism went into effect.

Everyone knows American History is just a series wars with boring spaces between them.

I think I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Nazi camps were a little more important than the camps in the USA.

Well, I never said they weren't, but that's not something that we should ignore in our history though. The United State's shit doesn't smell like roses, no matter how much we pretend it does.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on February 02, 2010, 04:32:58 PM

I think I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Nazi camps were a little more important than the camps in the USA.

Well, I never said they weren't, but that's not something that we should ignore in our history though. The United State's shit doesn't smell like roses, no matter how much we pretend it does.

Har!  Read Smedley Butler, if you want to know just how bad our shit smells.

The internment camps were nothing

If you really want to gag, take a half hour and read all the way through this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillipine_American_war

"Kill everyone over (the age of) 10."
- US General Jacob Smith
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 02, 2010, 04:38:10 PM
Quote from: Suu on February 02, 2010, 04:32:58 PM

Har!  Read Smedley Butler, if you want to know just how bad our shit smells.

The internment camps were nothing

If you really want to gag, take a half hour and read all the way through this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillipine_American_war

"Kill everyone over (the age of) 10."
- US General Jacob Smith

Oh yeah, we were total fucking cockbites during that one. Though I think the English still takes the cake on the treatment of foreign holdings. They sure as hell weren't even nice to US.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Funnily enough, I was just reading about the Huk rebellion in the Phillipines.  Did you know CIA paramilitaries used to kidnap the Huks, then kill them, put two puncture marks in their necks and drain them of blood, then hang them from trees near Huk controlled villages, because of the fear of vampires in the Phillipines?

Apparently the CIA has vast amounts of literature on how to manipulate supernatural fears in third world countries.  Not surprising, often disturbing, but very interesting.

Suu

Quote from: Cain on February 02, 2010, 04:42:44 PM
Funnily enough, I was just reading about the Huk rebellion in the Phillipines.  Did you know CIA paramilitaries used to kidnap the Huks, then kill them, put two puncture marks in their necks and drain them of blood, then hang them from trees near Huk controlled villages, because of the fear of vampires in the Phillipines?

Apparently the CIA has vast amounts of literature on how to manipulate supernatural fears in third world countries.  Not surprising, often disturbing, but very interesting.

Holy fuck.

Cain

This Is Your Psychological Warfare On Drugs (quite literally, given the heroic amounts of LSD the CIA was using at the time).

I know similar things were planned for in central Africa too - anthropologists working for the CIA compiled massive amounts of information on beliefs of various ethnic groups and religions in the region shortly before dispatching Sidney Gottlieb to assassinate Lumumba. 

Suu

I decided to look up some stuff on Slavery in RI, knowing that there was still shady shit going on even after abolitionism. The entire Eastside of fucking Providence is pretty much named for the Brown family, as is a fairly famous institution of higher learning that will graduate you pass or fail as long as your tuition is paid in full.

QuoteThe Browns, one of the great mercantile families of colonial America, were Rhode Island slave traders. At least six of them -- James and his brother Obadiah, and James's four sons, Nicholas, John, Joseph, and Moses -- ran one of the biggest slave-trading businesses in New England, and for more than half a century the family reaped huge profits from the slave trade. "When James Brown sent the Mary to Africa in 1736, he launched Providence into the Negro traffic and laid the foundation for the Brown fortune. From this year until 1790, the Browns played a commanding role in the New England slave trade." Their donations to Rhode Island College were so generous that the name was changed to Brown University.

Yes. This state is fucked up.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on February 02, 2010, 04:42:44 PM

Ooh... has any of that been declassified or leaked? I would love to read some of that.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

E.O.T.

UMM

You know, The Anne Frank book isn't a screaming scandal or anything, but there's no reason to "teach" it in any school. The "diary" was rewritten by AT LEAST three people, including a professional writer/ author, and editions differ in regards to their published region/ audience. The original manuscript, kept in a vault in Switzerland isn't even an original manuscript. It's a "based on real events" story manipulated by an industry.

AND

I can't accept the notion that there's anything, AT ALL, more "important" about innocent people dying in the German/ Polish concentration camps versus innocent people dying in concentration camps anywhere else. We don't need to talk about Joseph Stalin, or POL POT, or FALLUJAH, do we? Tens of thousands, or millions,  doesn't really register to me as anything other than incomprehensible inhumanity.  Prisoners of German, Italian and Japanese heritage were held in concentration camps here in the U.S.A. and Central/ South America for YEARS AFTER World War II ended, many of them dying in internment.

Our own government continues to suffer a legacy of hundreds of thousands of innocent families, and children, fucking babies and little kids, freezing and starving to death in the deserts surrounding Iraq in our modern concentration camps, as collateral damage to our war on terror.

Fuck the A.D.L. and their "holocaust" cash cow (NEW HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL OPENING NEAR YOU! WEAR A STAR AND WALK THROUGH THE MAZE OF HORRORS AS IF IT'S HAPPENING TO YOU!).
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Salty

Quote from: E.O.T. on February 03, 2010, 04:47:17 AM

UMM

You know, The Anne Frank book isn't a screaming scandal or anything, but there's no reason to "teach" it in any school. The "diary" was rewritten by AT LEAST three people, including a professional writer/ author, and editions differ in regards to their published region/ audience. The original manuscript, kept in a vault in Switzerland isn't even an original manuscript. It's a "based on real events" story manipulated by an industry.

AND

I can't accept the notion that there's anything, AT ALL, more "important" about innocent people dying in the German/ Polish concentration camps versus innocent people dying in concentration camps anywhere else. We don't need to talk about Joseph Stalin, or POL POT, or FALLUJAH, do we? Tens of thousands, or millions,  doesn't really register to me as anything other than incomprehensible inhumanity.  Prisoners of German, Italian and Japanese heritage were held in concentration camps here in the U.S.A. and Central/ South America for YEARS AFTER World War II ended, many of them dying in internment.

Our own government continues to suffer a legacy of hundreds of thousands of innocent families, and children, fucking babies and little kids, freezing and starving to death in the deserts surrounding Iraq in our modern concentration camps, as collateral damage to our war on terror.

Fuck the A.D.L. and their "holocaust" cash cow (NEW HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL OPENING NEAR YOU! WEAR A STAR AND WALK THROUGH THE MAZE OF HORRORS AS IF IT'S HAPPENING TO YOU!)  Hitler was right about Israel, it's a fucking den of international thieves and terror.
:cry: :? :x

:argh!:

I've got no words or rationale as to why, and maybe it's just a knee-jerk reaction, but that seems...wrong. In any context.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Alty on February 03, 2010, 04:58:28 AM
Quote from: E.O.T. on February 03, 2010, 04:47:17 AM

UMM

AND

Fuck the A.D.L. and their "holocaust" cash cow (NEW HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL OPENING NEAR YOU! WEAR A STAR AND WALK THROUGH THE MAZE OF HORRORS AS IF IT'S HAPPENING TO YOU!)  Hitler was right about Israel, it's a fucking den of international thieves and terror.
:cry: :? :x

:argh!:

I've got no words or rationale as to why, and maybe it's just a knee-jerk reaction, but that seems...wrong. In any context.

O.K.

It's out of context here, which is why I removed it.

BUT

Unless you're some kind of zionist asshole, can you think of anything GOOD that's come of Israel since the creation of it? Three things and I won't turn them to pillars of salt. Also, YES, Germany lost the war but Hitler was right about a number of things, alty. C'mon, the Volkswagen!
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Suu

Quote from: E.O.T. on February 03, 2010, 05:17:39 AM
          Unless you're some kind of zionist asshole, can you think of anything GOOD that's come of Israel since the creation of it? Three things and I won't turn them to pillars of salt. Also, YES, Germany lost the war but Hitler was right about a number of things, alty. C'mon, the Volkswagen!

Oh. My. God.

ummmm....wow......

EOT, about all the bad things i've said about you on here...i uhhhh.....

yeah, justified.

Suu

Israel is an epicenter for the 3 largest religions in the world. It's a theological treasure trove of intense history and knowledge. Outside of the strife created by HUMANS practicing said religions, I'd say that is all pretty good to me.