News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

List of reason not to take yourself/ the world to seriously

Started by glorfon, October 10, 2009, 12:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Dimocritus

Quote from: Felix on January 22, 2010, 07:27:26 PM
These are all "reasons" not to take oneself seriously.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100120.html

There's a real reason.

Beutiful video, Felix. The vastness of the universe can truly put much into perspective.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Kai

Quote from: Felix on January 22, 2010, 07:27:26 PM
These are all "reasons" not to take oneself seriously.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100120.html

There's a real reason.

I like how this video shows a masterful sense of scale and perspective without evoking the pitying fatalistic feelings of insignificance other such videos try at.

Home is always the center of ones universe, no matter what the great forces within time might say otherwise.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Yeah, it reminded me of that early astronomy video "powers of 10" or something, where it showed the universe at powers of magnification, from the cosmic to the nuclear.  That one didn't have magnificent rendering and perspective though.

Bu🤠ns

THAT was incredible.  I'm so showing this to my son tomorrow.  It gave me a real sense of peace too. 

Man, thanks.

:mittens:

Triple Zero

wow, the most unnerving thing was when it went back home. I was really like, "wait, where do I live again" and then a few moments later "wtf that's just our galaxy?!? are we there yet"
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

I wish it did the whole thing where it goes down to human scale, then shows all the magnifications down to quarks and muons.