News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

How unique and traceable is your browser?

Started by Cain, February 03, 2010, 03:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Richter

What's that registering?  Cookies / Acceptance of cookies / java or flash settings?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Richter

500k isn't exaclty a representative sample to compare against, when you think about all the computers on the internet currently.  I'd give this a month then try again. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Requia ☣

Still enough for counter trolling.  Especially since the easily modifiable bits like the user agent don't seem to matter.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Interesting, but I'm not sure how accurate this is. I'm guessing their sample size is not very big.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on February 03, 2010, 07:17:32 PM
Interesting, but I'm not sure how accurate this is. I'm guessing their sample size is not very big.

QuoteYour browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 555,280 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 19.08 bits of identifying information.

No, not very large yet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Within our dataset of several hundred thousand visitors, only one in 13,631 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

What do i win?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Golden Applesauce

I got one in 8000, but the FAQ contains more about the whole experiment - they aren't using every bit of information the browser sends, for instance.

See also:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/01/primer-information-theory-and-privacy
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Jasper

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 561,244 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 19.1 bits of identifying information.

OHSHI-

Muir

"Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 569,090 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 19.12 bits of identifying information."

Interesting, possibly helpful, but until the number of fingerprints grows...not very accurate.
Remember, there are no stupid questions - but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots...

Triple Zero

check the comment under this post:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/01/tracking_your_b.html

i dunno what EFF thinks it's doing, but it's not accurate at all.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Dr. Paes

Within our dataset of several hundred thousand visitors, only one in 234 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 7.87 bits of identifying information.

PeregrineBF

Being unique doesn't matter. Being consistent does. Someday I'll get around to making a firefox addon to randomly swap through a list of different user agents & vary HTTP_ACCEPT headers & such with each visit to a given site. Sure, they will still be unique (probably more so) but instead of being one unique person you appear to be 20 or 100 or such.

Jasper

That's the ticket.  Be a moving target.

bugmenоt

Here is a user agent switcher add-on for firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

You can be a google spybot. I heard that from some webpages you get different content if you are pretending to be a google spybot.

Or you can type anything you want. But as was mentionned, the user agent does not make one's whole fingerprint.

:buttsecks: