News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Featured at 23ae

Started by Cramulus, February 04, 2010, 01:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Yeah, I'm in agreement with Cram... if you don't like the flavor of it, why not work toward something you DO like the flavor of, rather than spend your time musing on a flavor you don't like.

Some people don't understand the Tarbaby Principle.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 16, 2010, 05:52:58 PM
I reread his rant, and it occurs to me that what TOA is bitter about is not that other people don't "get" the BIP, but that he doesn't "get" it himself, and makes him feel stupid. Like he's on the outside of an inside joke.

To that, I say; not our problem.

Unfortunately, I disagree; FOR ME, the BIP is a distillation/variation on similar PD/RAW themes, and is not supposed to be a concept reserved for a selective few -- in fact, with my pieces, I was trying to make it more accessible, by removing as much esoterica as possible: "Your born biology and your learned psychology create a unique filter by which you see the Universe."

If he doesn't "get" it, that is a big problem.

On the other hand, if he doesn't like it, fuck him.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on February 16, 2010, 03:25:12 PM
Here's a piece by The Other Anonymous addressed to the authors and editors of the Black Iron Prison. He thinks we're doing it wrong.

http://23ae.com/2010/02/boredom/

Once again, he's an asshat.  He's assuming he knows what we're thinking, and building a massive strawman argument from that.

Now, I've known the stalker was a fucking fruitloop from day one...I didn't realize he was STUPID, too.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 16, 2010, 07:01:29 PM
I reread his rant, and it occurs to me that what TOA is bitter about is not that other people don't "get" the BIP, but that he doesn't "get" it himself, and makes him feel stupid. Like he's on the outside of an inside joke.

Unfortunately, I disagree; FOR ME, the BIP is a distillation/variation on similar PD/RAW themes, and is not supposed to be a concept reserved for a selective few -- in fact, with my pieces, I was trying to make it more accessible, by removing as much esoterica as possible: "Your born biology and your learned psychology create a unique filter by which you see the Universe."

Wait.

We're responsible for ensuring that retards read what is actually written, rather than what their butthurt little minds WANT it to say?
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 16, 2010, 07:06:00 PM

Wait.

We're responsible for ensuring that retards read what is actually written, rather than what their butthurt little minds WANT it to say?

Kind of.  Otherwise, aren't we jst preaching to the choir?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 16, 2010, 07:27:11 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 16, 2010, 07:06:00 PM

Wait.

Kind of.  Otherwise, aren't we jst preaching to the choir?

No.  You shake people awake.  If they decide they like being asleep better, fuck 'em.  Concentrate on the ones that are willing to wake up.

Life is too short to waste on the willfully ignorant.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

No.

Not everyone is going to get everything, and not only is it not your job to make everyone get everything, it would be impossible. Look at the different reactions to "Catcher in the Rye".

His complaint is that the BIP is wankery, that only people who already understand the concepts will get them. I have seen many examples that show that he's wrong; people who were NOT already on board, who read the BIP, and "got" it instantly. That particular project has a certain type of people that it speaks to and works for; a target audience. His claim is that this target audience doesn't exist.

Therefore, I'm concluding that what he's doing is projecting his own failure to "get" it on the entire world, and blaming you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on February 16, 2010, 05:13:24 PM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 16, 2010, 05:07:56 PM
Speaking of which, what is the status of the Discordia Etc? That seemed like a good project, and I'd love to see it someday. It's been a couple of years.

I'd say it's 96% done. Every so often, Net and I go "Okay, Let's finish it for real!" and then for some reason we don't.  :lulz:

To be fair, that fucking freelance website project that I really really had to finish and caused me to drop helping out on the Etc is also still not finished.

Goddamn thing is like one of those metal ball weights chained to my ankle like the Daltons in Lucky Luke.

But when I finish it ... OOHHH .. YOU WILL ALL KNOW .. AND THE SKIES WILL BE PURPLE AND ORANGE AND CANDY AND THE BIRDS WILL SING VOCODER TUNES
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

nuclearcabbage

"birds singing vocoder tunes"

wow, that sounds so fucking awesome!!
><><><><><><

Triple Zero

and real vocoders, too. none of that over-used newfangled autotuner crap.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Shai Hulud

If TOA insists that the thing he wrote is Intermittens 9, then I am going to treat it like that.

nuclearcabbage

i was most definitely imagining the real deal vocoders
><><><><><><

Cramulus

Quote from: Guy Incognito on February 17, 2010, 09:45:17 PM
If TOA insists that the thing he wrote is Intermittens 9, then I am going to [url-http://23ae.com/2010/02/a-review-of-intermittens-9/]treat it like that[/url].

:lulz: :lulz:

nice tit for that, thar

I'm not treating that one-page PDF as issue 9 --- those of us who have edited issues have spent weeks or months on them.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Cramulus on February 17, 2010, 11:55:45 PM
I'm not treating that one-page PDF as issue 9

Yeah, I agree.  I think the honor of the real number 9 will go to Peleus, I really like the idea of the "phobia" themed issue, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Lord Quantum

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 16, 2010, 08:37:41 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on February 16, 2010, 05:13:24 PM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 16, 2010, 05:07:56 PM
Speaking of which, what is the status of the Discordia Etc? That seemed like a good project, and I'd love to see it someday. It's been a couple of years.

I'd say it's 96% done. Every so often, Net and I go "Okay, Let's finish it for real!" and then for some reason we don't.  :lulz:

To be fair, that fucking freelance website project that I really really had to finish and caused me to drop helping out on the Etc is also still not finished.

Goddamn thing is like one of those metal ball weights chained to my ankle like the Daltons in Lucky Luke.

But when I finish it ... OOHHH .. YOU WILL ALL KNOW .. AND THE SKIES WILL BE PURPLE AND ORANGE AND CANDY AND THE BIRDS WILL SING VOCODER TUNES

What's this "etc" that you speak of? It sounds interesting.
Quote from: Cain on March 28, 2010, 09:44:45 PM
Fuck it.  I'm going to get ordained as a Catholic priest and start robbing banks and mugging people.  I mean, apparently, you can be excused any crime if you're in with the Big V.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 28, 2008, 02:09:45 AM

Lets try it on an even simpler level:

1) There is a minimum energy/mass things can have, everything can be measured in a multiple of this minimum.

2) Objects at this size, or close to it, don't have an exact position or velocity, so they look like waves in most experiments.

3) If you try to measure the location, they act more like particles, just to fuck with you, but the velocity gets more uncertain, also just to fuck with you.

Conclusion: God hates physicists.

GASMs - PosterGASM (Calvinball edition), AbbyGASM

Pirate Pass Off Scorecard (5)