News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

A smoke screen?

Started by Chairman Risus, February 06, 2010, 01:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Risus

Cain (or anyone with an eye on politics, particularly American),
              Is it possible that we're not giving the Republicans enough credit, and that they've been using Palin to absorb and draw criticism away from potential upcoming candidates?

Regards,
Risus

Captain Utopia

Republicans or the Republican party or people considering a run for 2012 under the republican banner?

I don't think Palin has many real friends within the Republican party - and it's a pretty safe strategy to let her implode herself into obscurity before the real competition for the 2012 Republican candidate starts.  Even if she did make it that far, she'd get torn apart during the primaries.  She only got through the debates and her numerous gaffes because party loyalty gave her the benefit of the doubt and just under half the country would then invent justifications and excuses for her - ultimately, even that wasn't enough.

So I think it's very possible that Republican strategists are thinking along these lines, and communicating that to a handful of relevant players who are being groomed.. they likely even have their own dirt on Palin if need be, but the vast majority of Republican voters and party members don't deserve credit in either case.

Cain

Sounds plausible.  Palin became something of a laughing stock, even among mainstream conservatives last summer.  Although she still has strong support among certain sectors.

Really, I think the Republicans have so many options right now, it is amazing.  I mean, considering this time last year, there were about five people worrying about a Republican resurgence, and now the pwogs are getting used to the possibility of a one-term Presidency, the current playing field is incredible.