News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Science, Kai...Pure Science, and be Damned to He Who Says "Enough".

Started by Doktor Howl, February 08, 2010, 04:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Kai on February 11, 2010, 03:58:06 PM
Or perhaps I need to re-examine my definition of experiment, because apparently an experiment need not be manipulative, it can be observational or logical.

Well, yeah.  But I think Richter has a good idea, too: After you redefine "experiment", get to the lab and concoct something that will terrorize the villagers.

Jasper

Template

Quote from: Kai on February 11, 2010, 03:58:06 PM
Or perhaps I need to re-examine my definition of experiment, because apparently an experiment need not be manipulative, it can be observational or logical.

I was going to suggest that. agree.

Doktor Howl

On a side note, I frequently talk to Kai on the phone, and it's always a pleasure.  He's constantly geeking out on his work, which is fascinating as hell...And the descriptions he gives of that work, and the environment he works in, reassures me that in at least one place, there are people trying to LEARN things, and to do the fun fucking research we should be promoting more often.

And that, in turn, makes it easier to get through my days in corporate drudgery land.

Kai is a man of the future, the future we were all supposed to have, before we let them steal it.
Molon Lube

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 12, 2010, 07:19:46 PM
On a side note, I frequently talk to Kai on the phone, and it's always a pleasure.  He's constantly geeking out on his work, which is fascinating as hell...And the descriptions he gives of that work, and the environment he works in, reassures me that in at least one place, there are people trying to LEARN things, and to do the fun fucking research we should be promoting more often.

And that, in turn, makes it easier to get through my days in corporate drudgery land.

Kai is a man of the future, the future we were all supposed to have, before we let them steal it.

That's the key there, Doktor. Before we LET them steal it. It's way too easy to let them take it, with food that rots the body and television that rots the mind, and all the other shallow addictions of the Machine in The City. It's effortless to loose sight of the glories of the universe, that we are as Bill Nye said, "really I'm just a speck, and compared to a star, the planet is another speck". Maybe that's the point of being mad scientists. We're like the sufis or the zen masters, people no one takes seriously so we're truly free to pursue that which thrills us in this cosmos.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Kai on February 13, 2010, 01:41:25 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 12, 2010, 07:19:46 PM

That's the key there, Doktor. Before we LET them steal it. It's way too easy to let them take it, with food that rots the body and television that rots the mind, and all the other shallow addictions of the Machine in The City. It's effortless to loose sight of the glories of the universe, that we are as Bill Nye said, "really I'm just a speck, and compared to a star, the planet is another speck". Maybe that's the point of being mad scientists. We're like the sufis or the zen masters, people no one takes seriously so we're truly free to pursue that which thrills us in this cosmos.

May I shrink you down and keep you in my pocket?  At least for a little while?

Captain Utopia

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on February 17, 2010, 08:51:33 AM
A link, for the good Doktor:

http://www.neatorama.com/spotlight/2010/02/13/7-mad-science-experiments-you-can-do-at-home-but-probably-shouldnt/

Interesting, but there are no death rays.  Or giant mutant animals.

I mean, any fucking banker or oil exec can take over the world, just by buying it.  I want to do it in style.

Molon Lube

Triple Zero

Not to bitch on Remington's awesome find, I really do hate these "random cool stuf" websites that just steal content and fill it with ads to make money. Sure they included a tiny link to the original site:

http://www.graysci.com/index.html

Which probably has a lot more mad science experiments. And also video. Might be a few death rays, but no mutant animals, as far as I can tell.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Bumping for Zenpatista, who is my co-conspirator in making people hate us for fixing their water.

They DID call us mad.  And we WILL show them all.
Molon Lube