You know somethings wrong with you when you seek medical advice from PD

Started by Pariah, February 10, 2010, 02:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

2nd'ed. See a shrink about it.

A lot of medications have a step up / step down time associated, and shouldn't just be taken or stopped at will.  There are also a whole laundry list of potential side effects or contraindications that could be associated with them.  Perscribable medication ISN'T the sort of thing you can pop like a street drug, you need to take review of medical history and current condition.  The chances of catastrophic failure are minimal, sure, but not something I'd want a fellow internet whacko to risk.

If you're going to ignore all this advice and fuck around anyways.  DON'T.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Faust

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 10, 2010, 12:59:45 PM
Quote from: Rumckle on February 10, 2010, 11:42:05 AMI'd say see a psychiatrist before starting on anti depressants, to  both see if you are really depressed, and to make sure you understand the effects of the medication.

Well, anti depressants aren't exactly OTC meds, right? So you'd have to see a psychiatrist anyway to get them prescribed?
Eh not everywhere, I was getting mine from my gp
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Storebrand

I just suggested going to a family doctor first because a lot of people have to get a referral before their medical insurance will pay for them to see a psychiatrist.  Of course, you should insist on seeing a psychiatrist before going on any medication.  

Doktor Howl

Quote from: gin on February 10, 2010, 03:28:11 PM
I just suggested going to a family doctor first because a lot of people have to get a referral before their medical insurance will pay for them to see a psychiatrist.  Of course, you should insist on seeing a psychiatrist before going on any medication.  

Sure...if you never plan on owning guns or needing a clearance.
Molon Lube

Suu

I refuse to take psychiatric medications, partly because I don't believe they all work, and partly because I've seen the damage they can do when they are over-prescribed or given for a mis-diagnosis.

My brother is severely ADHD, I watched Ritalin eat his emotions away and turn him into an obese, angry child.
My mother is bipolar and we have YET to find a prescription that balances her right.
A friend of mine was diagnosed with depression when she was 14 (wut, bad parenting ITT?) and is now stuck taking pills, because when she doesn't, she gets severe migraines.

It seems that antidepressants are so common now they can be handed out like candy to people who may have just be having a few down notes. Shit, I've been crying my eyes out for no reason at least once a week for a year and I still won't go see a shrink. I just deal with it. I'm in control of my own emotions, not some Big Pharma-fed Shrinkydink. I learned what makes me happy and force myself in that direction when I get down. There's nothing scientific about it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Suu on February 10, 2010, 04:00:41 PM
I refuse to take psychiatric medications, partly because I don't believe they all work, and partly because I've seen the damage they can do when they are over-prescribed or given for a mis-diagnosis.

My brother is severely ADHD, I watched Ritalin eat his emotions away and turn him into an obese, angry child.
My mother is bipolar and we have YET to find a prescription that balances her right.
A friend of mine was diagnosed with depression when she was 14 (wut, bad parenting ITT?) and is now stuck taking pills, because when she doesn't, she gets severe migraines.

It seems that antidepressants are so common now they can be handed out like candy to people who may have just be having a few down notes. Shit, I've been crying my eyes out for no reason at least once a week for a year and I still won't go see a shrink. I just deal with it. I'm in control of my own emotions, not some Big Pharma-fed Shrinkydink. I learned what makes me happy and force myself in that direction when I get down. There's nothing scientific about it.

That's a good point. 

But I like sitting in my office and feeling my bones melt.
Molon Lube

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2010, 04:01:34 PM

That's a good point. 

There are other things you can take that aren't prescription to feel that.  8)
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Suu on February 10, 2010, 04:05:30 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2010, 04:01:34 PM

That's a good point.  

There are other things you can take that aren't prescription to feel that.  8)

But I can't get fired for coming up hot on a piss test, if I have a prescription for what they find.

Plus, I don't like most highs.  Horrible synthetic valium, however, gives me that melty feeling I can normally only get from watching old Blondie videos.
Molon Lube

Storebrand

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2010, 03:52:35 PM

You're talking about going to see a psychiatrist and being on meds at all, or insisting on seeing a psychiatrist before going on meds?  Does he want to own a gun or have a clearance later on in life?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: gin on February 10, 2010, 04:27:27 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2010, 03:52:35 PM

You're talking about going to see a psychiatrist and being on meds at all, or insisting on seeing a psychiatrist before going on meds?  Does he want to own a gun or have a clearance later on in life?

I know from personal experience that you can be totally off your face on pills for years, and you will never have a problem owning or purchasing a firearm.  Go to a psychaitrist, and you're fucked.

Why limit your options?
Molon Lube

Cain

Combine both options: go to your psychiatrist out of your face on pills and carrying a firearm.

I am full of excellent advice.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 10, 2010, 04:35:29 PM
Combine both options: go to your psychiatrist out of your face on pills and carrying a firearm.

CAIN:  Now also Redman!
Molon Lube

Storebrand

Quote from: Cain on February 10, 2010, 04:35:29 PM

This,  :lulz:

East Coast Hustle

fuck antidepressants. unless you have SEVERE depression (and I doubt you'd be unsure of that), they're likely to do way more harm than good. What's your diet like? In many cases, mild depression can be relieved or eliminated entirely by, you know, actually eating food that's GOOD for you and that your body is meant to eat rather than stuffing your face with overprocessed, sugar-filled, nutrient-free crap.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypseâ„¢

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"