News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

You know somethings wrong with you when you seek medical advice from PD

Started by Pariah, February 10, 2010, 02:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pariah

So through some research and talking with friends, it seems I may have some form of depression, maybe possibly.
One of my friends had some pretty severe depression went to the doctor got some tiny yelllow pills and now says that they have helped out quite a bit.
Not to jump the gun or anything but has been any of your personal experiences with antidepressants i.e. if it is in fact a chronic thing and I'm not just a mopy bitch should I take them.
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pariarrhea on February 10, 2010, 02:36:50 AM
So through some research and talking with friends, it seems I may have some form of depression, maybe possibly.
One of my friends had some pretty severe depression went to the doctor got some tiny yelllow pills and now says that they have helped out quite a bit.
Not to jump the gun or anything but has been any of your personal experiences with antidepressants i.e. if it is in fact a chronic thing and I'm not just a mopy bitch should I take them.

Try em out.
Molon Lube

Kai

PILLS HER- I mean, yes, I'm on them, and yes they work for me. Somewhat. It's not mazshgiquial or anything, just takes the edge off.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Eater of Clowns

I can't attest to being on them, but maybe possibly having depression doesn't sound like a strong case for going on medication.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: EoC on February 10, 2010, 02:59:36 AM
I can't attest to being on them, but maybe possibly having depression doesn't sound like a strong case for going on medication.

You ever been depressed?  I don't mean "down", I mean "depressed".
Molon Lube

NotPublished

I've never seen eye-to-eye for taking Meds for depression, but I can release Endorphins with just a thought so I'm not one to attest.

But when your not even sure if you have it, are you just making yourself pedantic? Are you actually depressed? Or are you making yourself believe you are, when nothing is wrong to begin with?
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: NotPublished on February 10, 2010, 03:03:43 AM
I've never seen eye-to-eye for taking Meds for depression, but I can release Endorphins with just a thought so I'm not one to attest.

Truly.  I, on the other hand, can bend steel I-beams with my bare, mighty hands.

But when your not even sure if you have it, are you just making yourself pedantic?

wut
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2010, 03:00:27 AM
Quote from: EoC on February 10, 2010, 02:59:36 AM

You ever been depressed?  I don't mean "down", I mean "depressed".

Yes.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Faust

I had a bad experience with them. I was depressed and suicidal. Then I went on some pills and it completely took away the fear of death but not the want to die, I needed that fear to keep me balanced.
As roger said try em out but be wary, if anything seems unusual leave them be.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Pariah

But when your not even sure if you have it, are you just making yourself pedantic? Are you actually depressed? Or are you making yourself believe you are, when nothing is wrong to begin with?

The reason I included that I wasn't 100% sure is exactly because I am not 100% sure. From what I've looked up and from people I've talked too who actually have talked to a doctor (which i plan on doing soon) and have been diagnosed with it I believe that I can have a moderate concern whether I have depression or not. Again, due to the pesky subjective nature of reality I can not be certain until I actually talk to a medical doctor.

Storebrand

Go to a doctor.  Find one you trust (family doctor?) who is covered by your medical insurance (if you have it).  Your doctor will sit down with you and help you figure out if you're actually depressed or just blue.  If you think you're depressed, you're probably depressed.  But you go to the family doctor first to get a referral.  If you're depressed your doctor should refer you to a psychiatrist.  The psychiatrist will determine whether your depression is due to your environment or a chemical imbalance.  S/he will prescribe happy pills if you need them.  If you do, remember people have different reactions to medication.  Keep your psychiatrist informed about how the medication is affecting you at all times.  We tried 5 or 6 different kinds of pills before we found some that worked for me.  I don't remember which one it was but I definitely started hallucinating with one of them.  Once we found the right pills I was back to my normal self in less than 2 months.

Even if you don't get pills you'll probably be going to some form of therapy for a while.  Some people can get out of their funk just by taking care of themselves(eating healthy, exercising, communicating) but it's always a good idea to get a professional opinion and it never hurts to talk things out with people.  There's no reason to isolate yourself.  Get help if you need it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on February 10, 2010, 03:10:36 AM
I had a bad experience with them. I was depressed and suicidal. Then I went on some pills and it completely took away the fear of death but not the want to die, I needed that fear to keep me balanced.
As roger said try em out but be wary, if anything seems unusual leave them be.

I'm on pills for chronic (ie, continual) insomnia.  Without them, I will stay awake for 3-4 days.

So far, 2 of the drugs they've given me have fucked me up badly, and I'm not sure about the third, but at least I sleep.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pariarrhea on February 10, 2010, 02:36:50 AM
it seems I may have some form of depression, maybe possibly.

All that "seems I may, maybe possibly" really does present a rather weak case for medication. I would suggest you go get assessed by a psychiatrist, but the problem, here, is that doctors in the US (are you in the US?) have taken to the "try antidepressants, they can't hurt!" approach to treating everything from anxiety to stress to actual depression. But the pills they're so happy to hand out (just in case they work) often have a host of side-effects, (weight gain? loss of libido? anyone?) and... best part... if you didn't have depression when you started them, going off many of them will GIVE it to you! Yay!

All I'm saying is, be careful. Do a lot of research and try to talk to a mental health professional who isn't totally pill-happy before you dive in. You might be better off with, say, light therapy and yoga, if you have a very mild case.

Pills can be a godsend, in the right cases. In other cases, they can become a catch-22.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

NotPublished

Yeah a medical doctor is the best choice of course. Self-diagnosis can be a bitch at times (But is probably very important) - so its good that your going to visit a doctor.

I'm not a professional or anything - though do you feel like you want to act in a different way but can't bring yourself to do it because of some unknown factor?

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2010, 03:05:25 AM
But when your not even sure if you have it, are you just making yourself pedantic?
wut

I forgot the word .. The one where people make themselves they have an issue but they don't? Sorta like a False Positive.

My sister was given pills but it just made her the opposite of the intended then she went even more looney. She met the Queen of Spades, true story.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Pariah

Really all this is, pre-emptive advice for if I actually have depression that is serious enough to warrant pills.