News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

An Error Has Occurred!

Started by ~, February 10, 2010, 05:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 10, 2010, 03:59:18 PM
I'd be doing them a favor really.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/755e/

TV-B-Gone works on 90% of TVs, and contains 209 shut-off codes. I figure if you find out what those codes are and make an IR setup to cycle the codes indefinitely (or just buy the remote and hack it), you'll have a simple and effective denial-of-service attack. Provided you hide the device well enough, they can prove nothing.
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 10, 2010, 05:37:50 AM
so.

after the whole "musical xmas lighting" debacle, the snitching to the landlord about our loud constant tv watching (we don't have one, and only watch downloads one night a week..), the snitching about the smell of cannabis* (the missus has a legit 215 and only smokes for honest to god medical reasons. does not even enjoy being stoned), the cats pissing on his porch (they don't piss where they sleep), the fact that we have cats (we had em before the leases were re-written by new owner, and she said it was cool to keep em) and the general fact that the dudes always nice and pleasant to us when we see him, means we now have an honst to god cold war.

And they just crossed the line, deliberately running all the hot water off, when they heard us take a shower. I know coz I heard em in the living room sniggering via eavesdropping.

I don't like being a twunt about this, but, I'm gonna.

Anyone have any ideas for low level bastardy?

*well, partly this could be me also, so .. dunno if that points valid or not.

1.  Have a loud party.  Post a lookout.  When the cops show up, have everyone get really quiet.  Do this a few times, and the cops will never respond to further complaints.  This frees you up for more fun.

2.  Return the favor with the shower.  In fact, since you share a water heater, turn the output valve off when you hear their shower running.  Wait 10 seconds, and turn it back on.  Pretend to know nothing about it.

3.  Buy some 8.5X11 crack-n-peel sticker paper, and print off a bumpersticker saying "cops are wussies", and put it on his back bumper.

4.  Tell the landlord, in passing, you saw the jackass walking into the apartment with a big bag full of pseudophedrine.  Wonder out loud what someone would be doing with pounds of pseudophed.

5.  Simply confront him, and ask him why he's a cunt.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on February 10, 2010, 04:22:52 PM

TV-B-Gone works on 90% of TVs, and contains 209 shut-off codes. I figure if you find out what those codes are and make an IR setup to cycle the codes indefinitely (or just buy the remote and hack it), you'll have a simple and effective denial-of-service attack. Provided you hide the device well enough, they can prove nothing.

Oh, my.
Molon Lube

Remington

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2010, 04:28:56 PM

Oh, my.
Also, it's unidirectional. It only shuts down what you point it at: leaving you free to enjoy your TV whilst the neighbours rip their hair out trying to figure out why theirs turns off every 25 seconds or so.

Bonus: They decide the TV is faulty and buy a new one. They then proceed to place the new, expensive TV in the same place as the old one. Hilarity ensues.
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on February 10, 2010, 04:33:48 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2010, 04:28:56 PM

Oh, my.
Also, it's unidirectional. It only shuts down what you point it at: leaving you free to enjoy your TV whilst the neighbours rip their hair out trying to figure out why theirs turns off every 25 seconds or so.

Bonus: They decide the TV is faulty and buy a new one. They then proceed to place the new, expensive TV in the same place as the old one. Hilarity ensues.

You.

Are hired.
Molon Lube

Remington

Depending on how high you want to crank the pain, there is this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/b278/

QuoteNow that they've mostly recovered from the twisted mind maze that was the original Annoy-a-tron, send them on a new journey of "self discovery" with version 2.0 Now featuring 6 sound choices plus volume control, it's at least twice as fun (and annoying) as the original. For effective deployment, we humbly suggest the following sound and volume combinations, but you can conduct your own field research for more insight.

* 15kHz (Teen Buzz tone** - young folks can hear it, older folks cannot!) (full volume)
   * Cricket chirping (medium/low volume)
   * IM Doorbell (low volume)
   * Grating Electronic noise (full volume)
   * Typical Electronic Beep (medium volume)

The cricket chirping sound is interesting because someone will instinctively look near the ground when trying to locate a cricket. So, placing the Annoy-a-tron several feet or more above the ground will help to obscure its location. The 15kHz sound is also interesting because this frequency range of sound cannot be heard by everyone. In older adults or those with deteriorated hearing (a condition known as presbycusis) this high frequency sound will not be audible, while others will clearly hear the sound and find it quite annoying. They also might think they are going crazy because people nearby will report that they don't hear anything.

It's a small circuit board that randomly creates a small beep, chirp, doorbell, or buzz. The battery is a simple watch one and lasts for four weeks.

And also this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/ae83/
QuoteWith the advent of the incessantly beeping and easily concealable Annoy-a-tron, ThinkGeek has ushered in a new era of sophisticated office pranks sure to drive your co-workers bonkers while you snicker silently at your desk. Now the next advanced level in stealthy office joke electronics is ready for your enjoyment. The Phantom Keystroker may look like a harmless usb thumb drive, but it's actually a devious contraption of unlimited office-based torture. Simply discreetly attach the Phantom Keystroker to any extra USB port on your victim's computer, no drivers needed.

The Keystroker emulates a keyboard and mouse and periodically makes random mouse movements, toggles caps-lock and types out odd garbage text and phrases. Switches on the side allow you to choose between keyboard garbage typing, caps lock-toggle, annoying mouse movements or all three. An adjustment dial sets the duration between "events". We recommend you don't set it too frequently so as to extend the agony. Your hapless co-worker pal will think his computer has been possessed or infected by a destructive virus. As he writhes in anger and furiously dials tech support you can rest easy with a job well done.

As I said before, it depends on how sadistic you're feeling. There are many, many options available to you.
Do you want the psychological breakdown to occur quickly, or do you want to draw it out? These are important questions.
Is it plugged in?

Remington

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 10, 2010, 04:42:24 PM
I have a nice old HP usb infrared transceiver. Could this be used with some software for the same purpose?
Quite possibly. I'll take a look around for software like that, some clever open-source guy probably has it out there somewhere.

As an added bonus, taking this with you (if you have a laptop) will make you a walking TV dead-zone.

this is omni directional, and as we don't have a TV, if this is workable, I'll mount it up on the porch eves, as it'd be handy there anyhow, for changing winamp tracks and other things from outside.
If it's omnidirectional, you may need to increase the power or focus the signal somehow. It might not deal well with going through walls.
Is it plugged in?

Remington

QuoteTV-B-Gone works on 90% of TVs, and contains 209 shut-off codes. I figure if you find out what those codes are and make an IR setup to cycle the codes indefinitely (or just buy the remote and hack it), you'll have a simple and effective denial-of-service attack. Provided you hide the device well enough, they can prove nothing.

I have a nice old HP usb infrared transceiver. Could this be used with some software for the same purpose? this is omni directional, and as we don't have a TV, if this is workable, I'll mount it up on the porch eves, as it'd be handy there anyhow, for changing winamp tracks and other things from outside.
Ding!
Ready-made kits: http://hackaday.com/2009/08/17/adafruit-releases-new-tv-b-gone-kit/
Very small kit: http://hackaday.com/2009/07/04/world-smallest-tv-b-gone/

Flashlight version: http://hackaday.com/2009/10/07/tv-b-gone-zilla-rar/
Is it plugged in?

Freeky

Rumckle

Quote from: Remington on February 10, 2010, 04:45:31 PM
Depending on how high you want to crank the pain, there is this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/b278/

* 15kHz (Teen Buzz tone** - young folks can hear it, older folks cannot!) (full volume)
   * Cricket chirping (medium/low volume)
   * IM Doorbell (low volume)
   * Grating Electronic noise (full volume)
   * Typical Electronic Beep (medium volume)

I found out the other day that I can't hear these ultrahigh frequencies, my hearing is shot and I'm not even 20 yet.

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

BabylonHoruv

cockroaches make a nice present.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on February 10, 2010, 09:56:22 PM
cockroaches make a nice present.

They live in the same building, I think.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Roaches would backfire but live crickets probably wouldn't, unless you have a shared entrance. Once established, a cricket colony is a royal bitch to wipe out, and will drive them absolutely insane. Plus, you can get 20 or so for a dollar at any pet shop. Bonus; kids find them delightful. The hardest part is getting them in their apartment, but I'm sure you can find a way.

I'm a fan of the roadkill in the chimney approach, but not everyone has a chimney. If they do, though, that route will have gratifying and unforgettable results. Depending on the chimney and the chimney cap, a small raccoon or possum would be perfect.

Also, if you have roof access, a dead squirrel (or rat or whatever the first small roadkill you find happens to be) dropped down the vent pipe for their sink or toilet, as long as you have a separate vent pipe. The goal is for it to be large enough to thoroughly obstruct the vent, and natural enough that, while it would seem improbable for such a creature to fall in and die, it's not unthinkable. A steak or a chicken breast would serve the same purpose but would be obviously sabotage. Depending on their plumbing and how thorough the obstruction is, they could end up with any number of unpleasant results, and an expensive plumbing bill.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Your plumbing should not share vent pipes, although it's not unheard of in old buildings. Check the roof; you should see a vent for each kitchen, and another vent for each bathroom, unless the kitchens and baths are arranged back-to-back.

I'm telling you, a squirrel down their kitchen vent pipe will be a subtle, horrible revenge, and it probably won't affect you at all. Just the drain on their sink will suddenly not work right, and will belch up compost odors... probably not strong enough for you to smell, but it will make doing anything in their kitchen incredibly unappealing until they get it fixed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on February 11, 2010, 02:32:43 AM

if you know his phone number:

-post an ad in the newspaper, saying hes selling a car for an obnoxiously low price (not too low, or theyll know its fake).

That is hard to trace, and follows the third party proxy war routine.  :wink:

Better yet, post an ad on Criagslist in the personals, advertising an adventurous afficionado seeking another adventurous afficionado.