News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Aerogel Finally Cheap Enough for Home Insulation

Started by Iason Ouabache, February 10, 2010, 08:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

So the pictures i've seen of this material always shows blocks of it.
If it relies on some special drying technique, then i'm guessing that its formed at manufacturing into a rigid structure?  So you couldn't blow it in like conventional insulation....
i guess it would be used in insulated structural panels?

Jasper

Requia ☣

the article says its being sold in sheets.

The melting point is 1200 C, I can't find an operating temperature (the point at which the material degrades).

However, its apparently transparent to certain IR frequencies, that peak around 300-600C, so some high temp stuff might have a problem with it.  There's some work being done on making variants that don't have that problem, but they have issues.

Edit: The paper I'm getting this from is ten years old, so the issues with the variants might have been fixed.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It would be ideal for glass kilns which only need to go to 815c. Ceramics have to go a bit higher, but it would probably still be workable. I mean, firebrick degrades over time anyway, why not use a massively more efficient material?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

Oh, you probably know this Nigel, what's the operating temperature of firebrick?

*has been searching for a workable very high temp material for a mad science project.

Requia ☣