News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Trilby, the Gentleman Thief

Started by NotPublished, February 10, 2010, 10:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotPublished

Has anyone played this game? If your into murder mysteries it might be a fun series to get into.

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/

QuoteGet in, get the loot, get out... that's how it usually goes for master cat burglar Trilby. But after he breaks into the supposedly vacated country manor erstwhile of the aristocratic DeFoe family, he quickly finds that things are not that simple. Together with a group of strangers, he finds himself imprisoned by some invisible intelligence. A force prepared to do anything to keep them there. Up to and including murder...

As the killings begin and suspicion threatens to tear the group apart, it's up to Trilby to unite his squabbling companions and destroy the supernatural entity that victimises them. But what exactly is it? What is the dark secret attached to DeFoe Manor? And what is the significance of the masked maniac who haunts their dreams?

I haven't played these for awhile so my memory of them has faded. So my explanation of them utterly sucks.

I just remembered that I had a nightmare about some skeleton in the bathtub after playing it.

The second one 7 days a skeptic jumps 400 years into the future and is on a Space station ... That was freaking epic! I only remember a few things from here and there, like a scene where your strapped to a medical and you get out of it by stabbing the doctor with a scapel... You could read the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chzo_Mythos but I guess that will spoil it.

I dont think I got around to playing #3 or #4

#3 - Trilby's Notes, goes back to you being Trilby and continues on after the events of 5 days a Stranger. Something about one of the surviving characters from #1 being mysteriously killed. I have to get around to playing this one (It was nominated for 9 AGS awards and won 4)

#4 - 6 Days a Sacrifice. Definantly haven't played this one, but from reading it - its based around 100 years in the future and is focused around the Cult 'Optimology' (A dig on Scientology)

So if your into Murder-Mysteries, give it a shot! Oh there seems to be super natural themes here and there I forgot about that one.

(Also has anyone played those Seirra games? Like "So you want to be a Hero" ?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Glory:_So_You_Want_to_Be_a_Hero
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Reginald Ret

the quest for glory series is great.
i especially enjoyed QFG5 but that was mostly because alot of old friends came back.
great humour, and weird monsters.
i would love to describe them but that would include spoilers.

if you play qgf5 as a thief i have a tip:
pick your nose.

PS save first or get high lockpicking skill.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

NotPublished

I played QFG1 to 4, couldn't find #5 anywhere. (But yes I loved the game!! I stumbled across it when I was like 9 years old)

I got pissed at #4 though because after I drank from some random dishbowl on the ground, the Fairies drugged me and then tried to steal my staff - the game crashed after that  :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :horrormirth: :horrormirth: I was using DosBox =/

But Trilby is somewhat similar play style to QFG (Same engine) just different Genre.

Cain

He steals gentlemen?  Not that I object, but isn't that normally called kidnapping?

Reginald Ret

qfg5 crashes near the end for me :(
though i vaguely remember finishing it at least once.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

NotPublished

NotPublished

Quote from: Regret on February 10, 2010, 11:24:42 PM
qfg5 crashes near the end for me :(
though i vaguely remember finishing it at least once.
:argh!: Damn Seirra. Was it Error 42? :(

Reginald Ret

i think the problem was compatibility with windows xp.

NotPublished

Oh I used to get spammed with 42. I used to think they were doing it on purpose :(

Reginald Ret

i liked the old 'oops you did something we weren't expecting' error just before the game crashes.

NotPublished

You should be able to play in Compability mode for sure, just set it to windows 98 or something

NotPublished

ugh ugh ugh the first Trilby game gave me the strangest dream.

I dreamt I was sleeping in my room, everything was calm and soothing ... Suddenly I hear the kitchen utensil drawer slam shut, and all the forks and things rattle ... I hear some slow rasping steps walking up the hallway and some very heavy breathing .. my step-dad slams my door room open making a dramatic entrance, in all his glory with his beer belly slouching out, wearing a wielders mask* ... then he walks up to me slowly and tries to kill me and I don't know how to stop him so I throw my blanket onto him and run away .. but god damn it I woke up! I just want one of these damn dreams go continue on as normal for once :(

*Ok he didn't wear a wielders mask but he so should of .. all he wore was just shorts :( *shudders*

Cramulus

Is this related to this?

Quote from: Cramulus on May 14, 2008, 07:39:44 PM
Trilby: The Art of Theft.

You're a master thief. You have to break into buildings and steal stuff while avoiding notice. It's somewhere in between a stealth, adventure, and puzzle game. (mostly stealth) The Art of Theft has a very film-noir / caper novel vibe. The graphics, while reminiscent of older computer games with blocky pixels, are polished and attractive.

I found parts of the game difficult, but ultimately very rewarding. It takes a few tries before you learn how to properly roll past swiveling cameras and dip by laser grids. Sometimes it's really tricky to pick a lock before a guard will turn around and notice you. But when you pull it off, you feel Liquid Cool.

The Art of Theft has about seven levels. If you're dilligent, you could probably complete it in 4-6 hours.

For me, it was 4-6 hours very well spent.

here's a gameplay video
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=tH9KNwZq55w

Edited to add:

hah, almost forgot. You can download it for free HERE: (PC) http://downloads.escapistmagazine.com/games/yahtzee/artoftheft.zip

Kai

Oh my god, I forgot about Yahtzee!~
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

NotPublished

Yes Cram it is the same character (same producer), except in the Chzo Mythos series, he becomes an investigator (He starts off as a Thief in 5 days a stranger though then he becomes an investigator)