News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

ITT - COMIC BOOK NERDS ONLY

Started by E.O.T., February 11, 2010, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.O.T.

MY DILEMMA

When it comes to comics, I mostly follow authors rather than titles. Ed Brubaker's "incognito" got me hooked on him and his noir stuff, so I caught up on "criminal" and several of his previous titles. Matt Wagner's probably my favourite comic writer/ artist, and I'm really enjoying his "madame xanadu". I'm not against the 'super hero' stuff if it's written well, but I'm kinda interested in something more original to dig into, rather than the millionth Batman story. I need suggestions for my comic addiction.

ALSO

My friend BRIAN CHURILLA has managed to get a gig as artist for a regular monthly title, with writer PHIL HESTER called "The Anchor". Totally worth checking out if you're looking for something new yourself.  It involves an avenging behemoth monk and a lot of monsters.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

hooplala

Have you tried the Promethea series by Alan Moore?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Faust

I'm not much of a superhero comic fan.
House of mystery is one of the best running series available. Doktor Sleepless is a strange little series by Warren Ellis on the nature of how society is changed by technology but its been relegated to about one issue every three months, I would suggest reading this based on the strength of the Doktors rants alone.

Madam Xanadu is interesting enough... If you are reading it then I assume you have read the sandman, if not, do so as soon as possible.

I've recently been reading Alan Moore's Swamp thing, I was a little hesitant at first because of the art, but it became compelling after about two issues in, I don't like making any direct reference to story for these kind of things so the best way to describe Moore's Swamp thing (and only his, avoid the other writers) is a rich blend of Horror, mysticism, mystery and romance.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

E.O.T.

Quote from: Hoopla on February 11, 2010, 07:35:28 PM

Quote from: Hoopla on February 11, 2010, 07:35:28 PM

THAT'S FUNNY

Somehow I came across the first two "promethea" trade paperbacks as freebees. I often find Moore to be a fantastic writer, but I had to actually force myself to finish the second book and I totally hated it. I think his whole self declared magician status and discovery of Crowley influenced the writing too much, I found it to be painfully didactic. Thanks for the suggestion though, something like "promethea" would normally totally suck me in, with all the historic literature and archive comic references to nerd out on.

ALSO

At about the same time, I came across "LORE" by T.P. Louise & Ashley Wood, which is a modern magic cabal mystery sort of thing, and it is absolutely great. The art becomes minimal to nonexistent as the story goes on, so it's pretty much all text toward the end (it was a six(?) issue limited series) - but the best thing I'd read in comics for a while. Surprisingly it's very straight forward, where their other work together like "D'airain" or "Duostar racers" is abstract, to say the least, like they collaborated on a bunch of 1-2 page story ideas, threw them up in the air and then collected half of them together, in no real order. Which is genius too, just not as fun to (try to)read.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

E.O.T.

Quote from: Faust on February 11, 2010, 08:03:47 PM
I'm not much of a superhero comic fan.
House of mystery is one of the best running series available. Doktor Sleepless is a strange little series by Warren Ellis on the nature of how society is changed by technology but its been relegated to about one issue every three months, I would suggest reading this based on the strength of the Doktors rants alone.

Madam Xanadu is interesting enough... If you are reading it then I assume you have read the sandman, if not, do so as soon as possible.

I've recently been reading Alan Moore's Swamp thing, I was a little hesitant at first because of the art, but it became compelling after about two issues in, I don't like making any direct reference to story for these kind of things so the best way to describe Moore's Swamp thing (and only his, avoid the other writers) is a rich blend of Horror, mysticism, mystery and romance.

THANKS

Really enjoyed both "Sandman" and "Sandman mystery theatre". I've eyeballed "House of Mystery" on the shelves, I'll check it out. I agree, his "swamp thing" was great.

WAIT

A ranting Doktor Sleepless?(!) That sounds strangely like someone on this board...

Doktor Howl

On the subject, the MSY graphic novel is racing ahead, and might even make deadline.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 11, 2010, 08:15:16 PM
Quote from: Nurse Mayhem on February 11, 2010, 08:14:06 PM
"Transmetropolitan"  :fap:

PAGES, WOMAN!  I NEED PAGES!

:x I'm workin! I'm workin!
Instead of having Kaz do inking, I'm recruiting Carie for it. Kaz is taking too long and everytime I bring it up he gets a big dick. So, out he goes.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nurse Mayhem on February 11, 2010, 08:17:46 PM

Instead of having Kaz do inking, I'm recruiting Carie for it. Kaz is taking too long and everytime I bring it up he gets a big dick. So, out he goes.

Kaz just joined the pit-fighting guild.
Molon Lube

E.O.T.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 11, 2010, 08:15:00 PM
On the subject, the MSY graphic novel is racing ahead, and might even make deadline.

CANNOT

Fucking wait!

WHAT

Format are you printing it in? Are you self publishing?

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 11, 2010, 08:19:24 PM
Quote from: Nurse Mayhem on February 11, 2010, 08:17:46 PM

Kaz just joined the pit-fighting guild.

I think so.

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 11, 2010, 08:21:13 PM
He's just a tracer, anyway.

Inking is a solid bitch, actually.  Kim got so stressed doing it, she beat Von Melee with the cat.  The fat one.
Molon Lube