News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

ATTN: Sigmatic

Started by East Coast Hustle, February 12, 2010, 08:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Inspired by our conversation on deep-frying, I went home and made the following, and it was awesome.

NOTE: everything I cook at home is gluten-free, since ECHGF has celiac's. Usually I post recipes here as though I were using them for work and change over to regular ingredients but in this case, the gluten-free flour mix actually lends a flavor and texture that work better for these than regular wheat flour would.

2 cups leftover mashed potatos
1 15oz can golden corn kernels, well drained
1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup powdered parmesan cheese
1 large egg
tbsp kosher salt
tbsp black pepper
tbsp paprika (smoked paprika is especially good, if you have some)
tsp garlic powder

mix ingredients together thoroughly, put in refrigerator to chill for an hour (mixture is much easier to work with when chilled).

FLOUR MIX:

4 parts garbanzo bean flour
6 parts medium-grind cornmeal
1 part cornstarch
1/2 part kosher salt

form chilled corn & potato mixture into small round patties about 2" in diameter and 1/2" thich. dredge in flour mixture and deep fry in canola oil until deep golden brown on both sides. serve with dipping sauce of your choice, I used a mixture of 3 parts Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce to 1 part ketchup.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bella

This sounds delicious! And it looks easy enough for my basic cooking skills, too. 
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

East Coast Hustle

it's wicked simple. and like I said, if all you hve is regular flour, that will work fine too, though adding a little cornmeal to it if you have some would help. Also, be sure to add the salt to the flour no matter what kind of flour you use. And I found it works better if your mashed potatoes are a little on the dry side to begin with.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Sir Squid Diddimus

mt friend's mama makes this (sorta) with seasoned meat inside the potatoes then floured and fried. she's espanish

Bella

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 16, 2010, 09:35:29 PM
it's wicked simple. and like I said, if all you hve is regular flour, that will work fine too, though adding a little cornmeal to it if you have some would help. Also, be sure to add the salt to the flour no matter what kind of flour you use. And I found it works better if your mashed potatoes are a little on the dry side to begin with.

Cool, I'm gonna try this.
All we have is regular flour, but we also have cornmeal.
I'll get HFLS to make the mashed potatoes for me - his are way better than mine, and they're a little drier, too.
just like in a dream

Bella

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on February 17, 2010, 06:23:28 AM
mt friend's mama makes this (sorta) with seasoned meat inside the potatoes then floured and fried. she's espanish

That sounds like  what my former neighbor used to make. Only sometimes, she'd wrap the whole thing in a tortilla before eating it.
just like in a dream