News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Polar bears drowning due to melting ice

Started by Cain, February 15, 2010, 10:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I'm not sure how the two relate, or if the possible benefits of closing of the ozone hole are dwarfed by the CO2 output, or what.

Yeah, I just posted here to say "I dunno".  So sue me.

The Wizard

I remember reading somewhere that small numbers of polars were migrating south because of the melting ice, and were mating with grizzy's in Candada. Is this true or was it just bullshit? The idea of polar/grizzly hybrids makes me smile.
Insanity we trust.

The Wizard

Forgive the spelling errors. Wrote that a bit fast.
Insanity we trust.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on February 17, 2010, 09:06:01 PM
I remember reading somewhere that small numbers of polars were migrating south because of the melting ice, and were mating with grizzy's in Candada. Is this true or was it just bullshit? The idea of polar/grizzly hybrids makes me smile.

If so, we need to capture them, put jagged steel caps on their teeth and claws, and release them.

In Tucson.
Molon Lube

hooplala

We need to move the polar bears to a free-floating magical island in the South Pacific and begin to perform experiments on them.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Wizard

If so, we need to capture them, put jagged steel caps on their teeth and claws, and release them.

Agreed, though I'm not sure they'll really need them. But when has that ever had anything to do with anything.
Insanity we trust.

Richter

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 17, 2010, 09:07:35 PM

In Tucson.

Is it wrong that I think living in a city like this would give life more savor?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on February 17, 2010, 09:13:45 PM

Agreed, though I'm not sure they'll really need them. But when has that ever had anything to do with anything.

Not everything has to be about NEED.  Sometimes WANT and JUST FOR CHEAP KICKS are okay.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Richter on February 17, 2010, 09:19:27 PM

In Tucson.

Fuck yes.  Morning stars for EVERYBODY!
Molon Lube

The Wizard

QuoteNot everything has to be about NEED.  Sometimes WANT and JUST FOR CHEAP KICKS are okay.

As I keep having to remind myself.
Insanity we trust.

Richter

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 17, 2010, 09:39:09 PM
Quote from: Richter on February 17, 2010, 09:19:27 PM

In Tucson.

Fuck yes.  Morning stars for EVERYBODY!

Flail and a motherfucker of a sword.  Goddammit, I want the most dangerous thing to humans in a city to NOT be the other humans.

Although a bush pilot gun, like a snubnosed .50 would be FUN, it would be too easy.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jasper

We must be the ONLY species crazy and scary enough to actually WANT more natural predators.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 17, 2010, 07:37:05 PM
Is it coincidence that polar ice melts faster when the ozone hole is closed?

No, at least, it was theorized that the reason the antarctic interior was getting colder was because of the ozone hole screwing with air currents.  I haven't kept up but if that theory was correct then the ozone holes closing would cause more icemelt.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on February 17, 2010, 03:39:11 PM
Quote from: Kai on February 17, 2010, 12:52:48 PM
I'm more worried about the 20 insect species that go extinct every day due to deforestation in the tropics than I am about one species of mammal.

If polar bears were a bug the public wouldn't give a shit.

Not that I'm saying "Yeah, fuck polar bears". Rather, this is an illustration of sexy megafauna syndrome in endangered species conservation.

It appears the only solution is to make bugs as big as polar bears.

Get to work on that, Kai.

I'm serious here. EO Wilson calls it the Biodiversity Crisis. We can repair the ozone layer, we can reduce emmissions and eventually bring down the CO2 levels, we will find new energy sources and populations will be forced to regulate.

But when those lineages are lost, they're lost forever. No backsies. Wilson said this was the thing future generations would be least likely to forgive us for.

What is that cheesy environmental movement slogan? Oh right, "extinction means forever". Doesn't feel so cheesy to me.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Even though extinction does happen in the natural course of evolution, we must take into account that these are extinctions that would not otherwise be happening if not for us, presumably the most dangerous species for light years in any direction.