News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Polar bears drowning due to melting ice

Started by Cain, February 15, 2010, 10:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article767459.ece

QuoteSCIENTISTS have for the first time found evidence that polar bears are drowning because climate change is melting the Arctic ice shelf.

The researchers were startled to find bears having to swim up to 60 miles across open sea to find food. They are being forced into the long voyages because the ice floes from which they feed are melting, becoming smaller and drifting farther apart.

Although polar bears are strong swimmers, they are adapted for swimming close to the shore. Their sea journeys leave them them vulnerable to exhaustion, hypothermia or being swamped by waves.

According to the new research, four bear carcases were found floating in one month in a single patch of sea off the north coast of Alaska, where average summer temperatures have increased by 2-3C degrees since 1950s.

The scientists believe such drownings are becoming widespread across the Arctic, an inevitable consequence of the doubling in the past 20 years of the proportion of polar bears having to swim in open seas.

Which sucks.

More info about Arctic sea ice is available here http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/index.html

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Polar bears have been known to eat people, so it saddens me to watch them die like this.
Molon Lube

Jenne

Yeah, that Discovery series that looks ubercool on HD has a segment where you watch this poor polar bear hunt seals, but he's so exhausted and famished he fails and ends up dying in a stretch not far from his prey.

It's really pathetic.  :(

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Old news is old. I can't be bothered with this, the Olympics are on!

Remington

Is it plugged in?

Kai

I'm more worried about the 20 insect species that go extinct every day due to deforestation in the tropics than I am about one species of mammal.

If polar bears were a bug the public wouldn't give a shit.

Not that I'm saying "Yeah, fuck polar bears". Rather, this is an illustration of sexy megafauna syndrome in endangered species conservation.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Reginald Ret

All is fair in the war on stupid.
Whatever works.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

Quote from: Kai on February 17, 2010, 12:52:48 PM
I'm more worried about the 20 insect species that go extinct every day due to deforestation in the tropics than I am about one species of mammal.

If polar bears were a bug the public wouldn't give a shit.

Not that I'm saying "Yeah, fuck polar bears". Rather, this is an illustration of sexy megafauna syndrome in endangered species conservation.

It appears the only solution is to make bugs as big as polar bears.

Get to work on that, Kai.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on February 15, 2010, 06:25:02 PM
Yeah, that Discovery series that looks ubercool on HD has a segment where you watch this poor polar bear hunt seals, but he's so exhausted and famished he fails and ends up dying in a stretch not far from his prey.

It's really pathetic.  :(

Unless you're the seal.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 17, 2010, 08:38:03 AM
you know you are all wondering what polar bear would taste like, and if they all drown would we miss out on tasty steak? and by 'you all' I mean me and we I mean 'I'

My understanding is that they taste strongly of fish.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

It is sad, but we need to remember that over 99% of ALL the life that has ever existed on this planet is now extinct.  It happens.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Is it coincidence that polar ice melts faster when the ozone hole is closed?

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on February 17, 2010, 07:41:06 PM
Does it?

I was reading an article a while back that talked about the correlation, but I wasn't really left with a conclusion one way or another. I figured someone here might know.