News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Polar bears drowning due to melting ice

Started by Cain, February 15, 2010, 10:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Our CO2, our nukes, or anything else we've done is a kitten fart compared to just about every other object for several light years though.

irreverant brain "Extinction means WAFFLES!"
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on February 18, 2010, 03:53:41 AM
But when those lineages are lost, they're lost forever. No backsies. Wilson said this was the thing future generations would be least likely to forgive us for.

I CAN TOP IT!
Molon Lube

Richter

I refuse to alter my behavior based on the hypothetical stern looks and dissapointed shake of the head from millions of our progeny.  They can retroactively damn us if they like, and they will be assholes smug in their perfect hindsight.  I'm confident I won't be around to see it. 

Dropping everything, life, job, savings and resources into saving a few polar bears would be about as useless as purposely tracking down and killing one so I can produce pictures of my flipping off the high and mighty enlightened future while munching on a polar bear steak.     
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Jasper

Quote from: Richter on February 18, 2010, 12:49:20 PM
Our CO2, our nukes, or anything else we've done is a kitten fart compared to just about every other object for several light years though.

irreverant brain "Extinction means WAFFLES!"

Not bad for what amount to cosmic seamonkeys though.

Kai

Quote from: Richter on February 18, 2010, 03:23:56 PM
I refuse to alter my behavior based on the hypothetical stern looks and dissapointed shake of the head from millions of our progeny.  They can retroactively damn us if they like, and they will be assholes smug in their perfect hindsight.  I'm confident I won't be around to see it. 

Dropping everything, life, job, savings and resources into saving a few polar bears would be about as useless as purposely tracking down and killing one so I can produce pictures of my flipping off the high and mighty enlightened future while munching on a polar bear steak.     

You know, I really respect you, but I really fucking hate that mentality.

Really. Fucking hate it.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 17, 2010, 08:08:34 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on February 17, 2010, 07:41:06 PM
Does it?

I was reading an article a while back that talked about the correlation, but I wasn't really left with a conclusion one way or another. I figured someone here might know.

well, Ozone is a greenhouse gas.....
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

E.O.T.

WELL

The ONE kind of 'polar bear' which I'm familiar with is that from my home town in Wisconsin. During January it is customary to head down to the shore and collectively jump in through the ice and earn yer stripes as 'polar bear' Now, those folks are mostly wasted out of their gourds so there's more amazement at the survival rate.

AND

as much as I'd like to avoid the 'official' "bear" definition of 'polar bear', which is basically a 'silver haired/ elderly' fat man, I'd venture the amazement at survival rating is equal if their credit card isn't a factor and their boy isn't about.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Richter

Quote from: Kai on February 20, 2010, 02:01:29 AM

Really. Fucking hate it.

Was hoping that came across extreme enough the other direction to be satire :|

I see the problem as a more large scale case of humanity needing to stop doing things short term and sloppy.   Save a habitat, a species, stop use of a pesticide or pass legislation to reduce emission of a pollutant, it's all striking me as sticking a finger in the dike.

While we're there with our fingers in, someone else looking for a quick solution drills a hole to use it like a water fountain, and walks away leaving their hole open.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Richter on February 21, 2010, 02:44:32 PM
While we're there with our fingers in, someone else looking for a quick solution drills a hole to use it like a water fountain, and walks away leaving their hole open.

And this will be their downfall. Never walk away from Richter without tightening one's sphincter.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Kai

Really. Fucking hate it.

I see the problem as a more large scale case of humanity needing to stop doing things short term and sloppy.   Save a habitat, a species, stop use of a pesticide or pass legislation to reduce emission of a pollutant, it's all striking me as sticking a finger in the dike.

Poe's law, my friend. Poe's law.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Really. Fucking hate it.

We passed laws against using DDT, and what did we get back? Oh, that's right, bald eagles and a number of other raptor species from the brink of extinction.

Yeah, that shit is just like sticking a finger in the dike.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

President Television

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on February 17, 2010, 09:06:01 PM
Candada

Just wanted to drop in and say that this is the awesomest misspelling since GirClock accidentally called himself GirlCock.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Rumckle

What if we were to give the polar bears jet skis?

Like the old saying, give a polar bear a fish and he eats for one day, give him a jet ski and- OFUK that polar bear has a fucking jet ski!
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Richter

Quote from: Kai on February 21, 2010, 05:39:08 PM

Really. Fucking hate it.

Poe's law, my friend. Poe's law.

Valid. 
Both with you and Nigel, I respect your passion and point of view on this, and i've told you mine. 
I'll try to remember to nudge nudge wink wink when I'm having fun satirical prose.

Kai

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 22, 2010, 09:38:24 AM
QuoteWe passed laws against using DDT, and what did we get back? Oh, that's right, bald eagles and a number of other raptor species from the brink of extinction.

& malaria.

INSTEAD OF

DDT

TRY

transgenic mosquitoes

~Kai,

Knows that pesticides are a v. strong selective pressure.