News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Sketches, figments, dreams...

Started by Telarus, February 01, 2010, 06:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

This is a sketchbook thread. Post your drawings and doodles here.

These first few pages are from a creature design project for class. Keywords were eldritch, aboreal, cephalopod, and I'm scanning them now.

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cramulus

those are awesome! What kind of class is it?

Telarus

I'm taking a "Quick Sketch" (OR, "So you're a Concept Artist? Prepare to Draw for 2-3 hours EVERY DAY") class. It's really helping me integrate all of these disparate techniques I've picked up @ this school.

We had a week of copying animated movie/comic/other characters, and a week of drawing animals, this week is Creature ReDesign, then Perspective, Props, Vehicles, Landscapes (I know I'm forgetting a week of something). It's a good overview course, and the instructor is excellent!

Lee White -  http://web.me.com/leewhite3/Lee_White_Illustration/Gallery.html & http://leewhiteillustration.bigcartel.com/ (those are finished for-sale pieces, he's also done concept work on animations and games)

These are still halfway through the design process (I have to take the last design, and do 2 'variations' on it by changing body structure or the parts I used.. I'm going to try one that blends the body more, aka not 'hermit crab scavenger' to see how that looks).

Then a 'lighting study' of just the geometry, shaded. Then with tracing paper over the lighting study, the final detailed piece. Scan everything, and it's due this Thursday.

The story for this thing is slowly coming together. It's going to be a Wood Elemental, specifically the Flying Rowan Spirit (Celtic and Norse people would see small Rowan saplings growing in the boughs of scotch-pine and other big trees and were convinced that the Rowan spirit had the power of flight). This Elemental will use the 'Ballooning' method that most young spiders (and a few larger breeds) do to get around (I toyed with a cuttle-fish inspired buoyant breed in a few of the concepts, but went with the spider.). The larger ballooning spider breeds will release up to a hundred threads of gossamer up to a meter long, which spread out in a rough triangle shape to catch the wind. That's what that last one is doing, getting ready to take off (note the tentacles are anchoring him there until he gets enough lift).
-----------------------------------

I've got to scan all my sketched from the first 4 weeks to turn in as well (character and animal studies). I'll throw them up here later.

Note for the Stoat: I may color in the final sketch when it's done (I suppose that's what you were asking) ^__^
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Telarus

Here's the black and white rendering of the Final Design:

Telarus, KSC,

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Telarus on February 05, 2010, 01:43:35 AM
Here's the black and white rendering of the Final Design:

SPITREETOPUS!!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Jasper

<3 This thread.

I plan to sketch more and post them here.

Nast

Aaaaah, I can't believe I didn't see this thread before! It's amazing. I wish I could be at least half as good at drawing as you are!

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."