Richter, Who is Going to Keep the Nazis Away, now?

Started by Doktor Howl, February 17, 2010, 05:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Well, after two years of serious illnesses, my great-uncle Bill has passed away.

Uncle Bill was a 5'5" giant of a man, who wasn't afraid of anything, and never - to my knowledge - ever made a shitty compromise in his whole life.  He spent his youth destroying Nazis in Africa and Europe, including the horrible Falaise Pocket battle, in which his artillery unit spent a night in a circular formation, direct-firing their 25 pounders into hordes of Germans, to keep them from escaping.

When I was a kid, he would only tell me that he was a cook.  He didn't tell me the whole story until I had enlisted in the infantry...He knew that war is blood and shit and death, not the lie they call "glory", and he didn't want to put ideas in my head, until after I had failed to heed his advice, and the advice of his brothers (ie, don't go in the military).

He later told me about the men he fought with, and he also explained that the Nazis actually won WWII...just not the German Nazis.  He was referring to people like Curtiss Lemay and "Tailgunner Joe" McCarthy and Ronald Reagan (he offered some Canadian names, too, like Big Joe Clark and his bunch, but most people in the states have never heard of them).  People who slithered into power while we weren't looking.

When I last saw him in person, about a year ago, he was having a chuckle at what America is doing to itself these days, and I asked him what he thought should be done about it.

"First you tell them 'No'", he said, "Then if they keep doing it, you make them hurt really bad, and repeat your answer."

I firmly believe that if he'd been here, and maybe a little younger, he'd have been doing just that.  He wasn't afraid of police (He and his brothers had the scars and the police records to prove it), and he wasn't afraid of what they could do to him. 

We used to have people like that, and if you make the mistake of reading what those people had to say, you'll spend the next year seething with hatred at the complacent shits all around you...and maybe even at yourself, because you know what's going on, and still you do nothing.

No, his kind are a vanishing breed, and I have this weird feeling that when they're gone, the Nazis will be back.  They may not wear black uniforms (maybe), but they're Nazis all the same.  Nazis don't ever actually leave, they just wait in the wings until the hard men and women are all gone.  It happened in Germany in the 1920s, and it's going to happen here, mark my words.

So goodbye, Bill, you ornery old son of a bitch, and I hope that you're now giving God a red ass about the state of affairs in heaven.  We'll try to muddle along here without you, and I hope you get a good laugh about it all.

- Dok

Molon Lube

Richter

You're right on about all that Dok.
The German Nazis, they just made it overt.  They took it a solution too far a step too soon, and so as much as decent people decided they had to be put back in the box, maybe the other, less bombastic Nazis decided they were playing their cards a little too fast.   

Makes me sick to think of slime like that slinking back in afterwards.  Actual men, your Uncle, my Grandfathers, shouldn't have had to see the same tricks pop up at home. 

Tell them no, make them hurt and repeat as necessary if they test. Makes as much sense as any other approach I've heard for dealing with that kind of animal.  They'll turn lies, reasons, and appeasements against you, compromise demanding halfway meetings until they're got the whole thing, not a wise way to work. 
Catching shit doing this is INEVITABLE, required.  Anyone who asks why they have to catch it, or for soemone else to do it first is missing the point, though.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Requia ☣

But *how* do i fight them Doktor?  The Nazi's made it so damned easy, they put on nice black uniforms and carried guns, made themselves targets that anybody who had a rifle could help fight.

But these new people?  If I tried to shoot them I'd be labeled a terrorist and stuck in a dark hole somewhere before I even managed to get a handful of them,

So I yell at anyone who listens.  Hell I've been yelling at my parents for 5 years now, but when you try to tell people Bad Things, the just clam up and refuse to hear it.  Even after the birthers and the bailouts and Sarah Palin my dad is still convinced that the republican party is about small government.  My mother just changes the channel every time the news mentions anything bad going on in the world.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 17, 2010, 06:59:02 PM
But *how* do i fight them Doktor?  The Nazi's made it so damned easy, they put on nice black uniforms and carried guns, made themselves targets that anybody who had a rifle could help fight.

But these new people?  If I tried to shoot them I'd be labeled a terrorist and stuck in a dark hole somewhere before I even managed to get a handful of them,

So I yell at anyone who listens.  Hell I've been yelling at my parents for 5 years now, but when you try to tell people Bad Things, the just clam up and refuse to hear it.  Even after the birthers and the bailouts and Sarah Palin my dad is still convinced that the republican party is about small government.  My mother just changes the channel every time the news mentions anything bad going on in the world.

You can't save anyone, Requiem, except maybe yourself.  Eventually, the Nazis get overconfident and put on those snappy uniforms.  Until then, the best you can do is try to convince people...and say "no", when the situation demands it.
Molon Lube

Richter

Would you rather be put at risk by your freedoms or restricted by things designed to keep you "Safe[/tm]"?
This is what it is, now.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Requia ☣

The new nazis are smart though, they use the same words like freedom, and talk about not giving it up to the feds for the sake of safety.  Then they turn around and back the PARTIOT act, and you and you dig until you find out the 'restriction' they chafe under is really Brown v. Board of Education.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 17, 2010, 07:18:06 PM
and you dig until you find out the 'restriction' they chafe under is really Brown v. Board of Education.

THIS.
Molon Lube

The Wizard

My grandfather was like this. Toughest bastard I've ever known. Sorry about your Uncle, Doc. Sounds like a good guy.

QuoteEven after the birthers and the bailouts and Sarah Palin my dad is still convinced that the republican party is about small government.  My mother just changes the channel every time the news mentions anything bad going on in the world.

This is the big problem. This is why the Nazi's are still around, the reason we can't just kill the fuckers on sight.They've fooled the entire world that they're either needed or unbeatable. Most of the adults I know are the former, convinced that the Nazi's are at worst a necessary Evil, that we couldn't get by without them. And there are plenty more convinced that the Nazi's are the good guys. Monkeys, every last one of them.

The younger crowd are just as bad, if not worse. I should know, since I'm one of them, at least in the age sense. The ones that aren't just itching for the chance to bend at the knees and suck dirt are convinced that the world is shit and that can't change. Which is just cowardice. Even good old cynicism is used as an excuse to not do anything by upper middle class jackasses who don't have a single reason to be cynical.

What the entire species needs is an ass-kicking. And that's we're here for. To provide the oh so needed boot, that maybe, just maybe, will get some of them to see the Nazi's. Probably not, but maybe. Or at least, that's what I think.
Insanity we trust.

NotPublished

Damn Dok, that was a beautiful eulogy.

Alot of things are messed, but is it hopeless? Who knows. Aren't things done well in a mob?
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Dr. Paes

Doktor Howl

Quote from: NotPublished on February 17, 2010, 09:22:33 PM
Damn Dok, that was a beautiful eulogy.

Alot of things are messed, but is it hopeless? Who knows. Aren't things done well in a mob?

Sure.  Find me a mob.

I've so had it with the complaceny of people in general that it pleases me to contemplate that we're finally getting the government we deserve.
Molon Lube

The Wizard

The satisfaction only lasts as long as it takes the secret police to find you.
Insanity we trust.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on February 17, 2010, 09:42:36 PM
The satisfaction only lasts as long as it takes the secret police to find you.

Judging from history, I'm not too worried.
Molon Lube

NotPublished

Finding people who care is rare at all. Weren't we called 'Generation Don't Care' for a reason?
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: NotPublished on February 17, 2010, 09:45:28 PM
Finding people who care is rare at all. Weren't we called 'Generation Don't Care' for a reason?

No, it's Generation FUCK YOU, I DON'T CARE AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME.

Aggressive apathy, if you will.
Molon Lube