News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Whats That Bug? with Kai.

Started by Kai, February 18, 2010, 03:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on February 19, 2010, 10:35:16 AM
I already know the species, Kai, but if you know how I could get some larvae, that would be just great.

You can use them to make biodiesel from compost.

Yay, Stratiomyidae!

Best place to get larvae is to put down compost and let them come to you. I've found them in cow pastures under hay rather extensively. Also, there are many aquatic species. The larvae are very very leathery.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

Quote from: Kai on February 19, 2010, 02:46:45 AM
Quote from: Triple Zero on February 19, 2010, 12:01:45 AM
It's one of the more common types of spider found here, at least, I've seen spiders like it quite often, so I guess it's this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegenaria_domestica

Only mine is darker.

Also I haven't seen him in a couple of days .. Maybe he was just visiting?

Sure its not T. agrestis? I wouldn't screw with that species, given their potency.

Dutch spiders are not dangerous. Especially not the ones that live around the house :) Maybe the ones on the heath or something, you got some weird bugs out there. But as you say, just don't screw with them :)

So I don't screw with them. The most I would do is to take a cup and a piece of paper to put it outside, but that's about it.

Their fangs aren't made to poke in humans anyway.

According to Dutch Wikipedia, T. Agrestis' bite is more painful and is said to be more agressive than T. Domestica, however there have been exactly zero reports of people bitten by it in Europe, only reports are from the US.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 19, 2010, 05:42:38 AM
so hobo spiders are dangerous? sh*t, im having unfun with this insects can hurt you bit D:

what's a hobo spider?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Kai

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 19, 2010, 01:02:36 PM
so hobo spiders are dangerous? sh*t, im having unfun with this insects can hurt you bit D:

what's a hobo spider?

Tegenaria agrestis is often called the hobo spider.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

hobo spider? it's a good thing I'm no homophonophobic homophobe, or I'd be scared shitless now.

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 19, 2010, 05:10:05 PM
hobo spider? it's a good thing I'm no homophonophobic homophobe, or I'd be scared shitless now.
:lulz:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jasper

They can make your flesh necrotize.

Don't click.

http://declubz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/spider-bite.jpg

Triple Zero

um, will it always look that bad, or just because the guy didn't treat it?

Freeky

That looks like a day 10 of no treatment thing. Because wouldn't they just cut off the dead flesh?

Suu

If you would just kill the fucking spiders before they bite you that wouldn't happen.  :argh!:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jasper

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 19, 2010, 06:35:31 PM

*research research research*

Turns out that's a brown recluse bite I showed you.  Hobo spider bites are similar, but of lesser magnitude.

Freeky

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 19, 2010, 06:55:57 PM

Turns out that's a brown recluse bite I showed you.  Hobo spider bites are similar, but of lesser magnitude.

FUCK BROWN RECLUSES. KILL THEM WITH FIRE.  :x

Jasper

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on February 19, 2010, 06:57:39 PM

Turns out that's a brown recluse bite I showed you.  Hobo spider bites are similar, but of lesser magnitude.

They're evil. 

Freeky

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 19, 2010, 07:02:26 PM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky on February 19, 2010, 06:57:39 PM

Turns out that's a brown recluse bite I showed you.  Hobo spider bites are similar, but of lesser magnitude.

They're evil. 

They're heeeere. :x

Triple Zero

Okay, yeah I knew about brown recluses. Afaik, they're the main reason Suu is frightened of spiders.

Thankfully we don't get those.

When I imagesearch for "hobo spider bite" images, however, they seem like big red bumps that will turn ugly if you leave them untreated for more than a week.

Okay, the creepiest bug here is just the common black yellow stripy wasp (european wasp?), but if they sting, and they don't too quickly, it gets up to the big red bump stage and then goes away. unless you're allergic in which case you're fucked. and if you got a nest of those fuckers near your house you should probably get rid of that because you can't eat outside anymore without those fuckers bugging you.