News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

HOLY FUCKING PRIVACY RAPE!

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, February 18, 2010, 05:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

All I know is that if my kids' school tries to issue laptops I will be informing them that they can stick their laptops up their asses.

What bothers me especially is that the laptops were MANDATORY and that using one you yourself owned was FORBIDDEN.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 26, 2010, 10:41:52 PM
For anyone interested, this blog post (and also the comments somewhat) seems to give the facts about this incident:

http://strydehax.blogspot.com/2010/02/spy-at-harrington-high.html

on the one hand's it's not literally as bad as some of the media make it out to be, but on the other hand, it's still pretty bad. in short, the capability has been there, but it's not proven that any shots of kids in their homes have been taken, or something.
The original story said that a student was disciplined for "improper behavior in his home" which is horrible whether or not the school did take pictures. Also, I never saw any stories that mentioned this yet but would the student be disciplined for covering the webcam up with tape/post-its so it couldn't be used? Because that would be bullshit too.

Also also, fuck that guy for making his blog white text on black background.  :argh!:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jason Wabash on February 27, 2010, 07:45:39 AM
Quote from: Triple Zero on February 26, 2010, 10:41:52 PM
For anyone interested, this blog post (and also the comments somewhat) seems to give the facts about this incident:

http://strydehax.blogspot.com/2010/02/spy-at-harrington-high.html

on the one hand's it's not literally as bad as some of the media make it out to be, but on the other hand, it's still pretty bad. in short, the capability has been there, but it's not proven that any shots of kids in their homes have been taken, or something.
The original story said that a student was disciplined for "improper behavior in his home" which is horrible whether or not the school did take pictures. Also, I never saw any stories that mentioned this yet but would the student be disciplined for covering the webcam up with tape/post-its so it couldn't be used? Because that would be bullshit too.

Also also, fuck that guy for making his blog white text on black background.  :argh!:

Yeah, disabling the camera was apparently grounds for expulsion. And yeah, the blog was good but made my eyes go crazy like Sol Rosenberg!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

As far as I understand, disabling the camera by software means was grounds for expulsion, basically because they didn't want students to mess with the software/system on the laptops. But covering the camera with a piece of tape was not, as long as it did not damage the laptop. In fact in one of the comments I read some students did in fact just that, but were considered "paranoids" :)

As for problems with black background, you can fix that easily, works great for a lot of sites. In Firefox you select View > Page Style > No Style or in Opera it's View > Style > User mode (or shortcut Shift-G, though in the Style menu you can also pick other styles, you might like High contrast B/W too, as it keeps most of the page layout but just changes the colours to black text white background). If you use Safari, I don't know but try looking for some menu option mentioning "Style" or "Stylesheet". It also works great for websites that try to prevent you from saving images, such as Flickr, because it messes up something in the right-click prevention code.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

I don't mind white text on black background. Shoot, I'm using that theme on here.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Freeky

:lulz: That guy sounds like the dude who did whoever that other kid was in Dexter's Laboratory. The tall one with black hair, was in love with Deedee.

Bruno

Formerly something else...

Rumckle

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 27, 2010, 11:50:19 AM
As far as I understand, disabling the camera by software means was grounds for expulsion, basically because they didn't want students to mess with the software/system on the laptops. But covering the camera with a piece of tape was not, as long as it did not damage the laptop. In fact in one of the comments I read some students did in fact just that, but were considered "paranoids" :)

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Also, I wonder if my sisters laptop has a camera, something I may need to investigate. (I know it has a GPS chip)
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Freeky

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on February 27, 2010, 11:20:12 PM
Mandark

Yes, thank you, Mandark.

I disappointed that Cartoon Network got rid of a lot of their shows a while back and replaced them with anime-esque stuff that all looks the same.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!
AHAHA!
HAHAHA HAH HAH!

Triple Zero

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on February 28, 2010, 12:04:45 AM
I disappointed that Cartoon Network got rid of a lot of their shows a while back and replaced them with anime-esque stuff that all looks the same.

So, download the old stuff you loved so much and watch it with your monkey?

No need to wait around for reruns in these days anymore.

I personally loved Samurai Jack, was that on Cartoon Network? It seemed like the same artists that did Dexter. I mostly loved the deadpan humour in it :) And the stylishness of Jack, and the fact that he made *swish* sounds, even when just lifting a finger :lol:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

rygD

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 27, 2010, 11:50:19 AM

I still cover the camera on my laptop unless I have phyically disconnected from all network cables, disabled the wireless adapter and am not doing around.  I also usually try to disable the built in microphone, and I am usually booted into something other than the windows shit that it came installed with, so while the chances are very small that any of it will be used without my knowledge, I still try to take precautions.

I rarely turn off or reboot my computers unless they auto-hibernate or I am relocating them, or if I have installed something or for some other reason NEED to reboot.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Freeky

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 28, 2010, 06:12:51 PM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky on February 28, 2010, 12:04:45 AM

So, download the old stuff you loved so much and watch it with your monkey?

No need to wait around for reruns in these days anymore.

I personally loved Samurai Jack, was that on Cartoon Network? It seemed like the same artists that did Dexter. I mostly loved the deadpan humour in it :) And the stylishness of Jack, and the fact that he made *swish* sounds, even when just lifting a finger :lol:

SAMURAI JACK! :D Yes it was.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Samurai Jack was the shit. The Star Wars Clone Wars 5 minute shorts were badass too. I think the same guy (Genndy Tartakovsky? Too lazy to google) did those too.