News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

My life is really sad, guys.

Started by Dr. Paes, February 16, 2010, 12:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roaring Biscuit!

because getting kicks out of other peoples actual real misery* is shit.

*none of that comedy shit.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Roaring Biscuit! on February 22, 2010, 01:50:24 AM

In terms of our first world problems i think it's fair game.  Today i banged my eye (and glasses) pretty hard on the corner of a table.  I hope you feel fucking amazing that THAT didn't happen to you.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Paesior on February 22, 2010, 01:36:18 AM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 22, 2010, 01:26:30 AM
Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 18, 2010, 05:38:52 PM
the worst part of that buzzard / dying kid picture is the photographer did flip all about it. wandered off and carried on snapping other shit.

won a Pulitzer and then promptly suicide out of horror.

One of the suck parts about journalism is that the reason journalists are granted a sort of immunity is because they are not supposed to interfere... only to observe and report. Which also creates a horrible ethical dilemma.
Yeah. Journalists are like time travellers. If they have any hand in how events unfold, HORRIBLE THINGS HAPPEN.
They have to be basically invisible. If a journalist witnesses a crime in progress, they have to write a story about it rather than calling the police. It'd be hard to be a journalist because you have to stop being a person.

No, I don't mean like that. I mean that one of the reasons journalists are allowed into countries where all kinds of bad shit is happening, and why they are not generally shot at (though obviously that happens from time to time), is because of the concept of impartiality and non-interference. Which they don't always adhere to, but I can imagine the sense of helplessness, watching how many dozens of little kids starve to death, taking pictures of them, knowing that even if you did try to help that it wouldn't really change anything because of the politics by which these people are imprisoned in a famined region. So you send the tragic, terrible pictures to the paper and hope that somehow by shedding light on what's happening that help will come, by whatever method it's delivered. And, sometimes, what you've seen is too much, and you put a gun in your mouth.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, I think there definitely is something to the "well, it could be a lot worse" aspect of feeling better about your own life. One time I was driving and feeling bad about my life for whatever reason and I rounded a bend and the sun was slanting down on my car in that late-afternoon, early-fall way, leaves all orange and shit, and the thought occurred to me that my house could catch on fire and my kids could die. And then whatever was bothering me really didn't seem that important, and I felt, momentarily, lucky.

I try to remember that when I'm steeping in self-pity over whoever broke my heart last.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dr. Paes

Quote from: Roaring Biscuit! on February 22, 2010, 01:50:24 AM

Do you see no difference between getting kicks out of other people's misery and seeing this misery, feeling for them, and realising that the things you consider to be important dramas aren't really all that bad in comparison?

Y'know, unless by your saying you get the point/joke you are saying that you understand this.

Roaring Biscuit!

Okay, i thought of a good way to get across what I mean, I'm gonna edit Nigel's post to demonstrate:

Quote from: Calamity Nigel (edited for illustrative purposes) on February 22, 2010, 04:23:05 AM
Also, I think there definitely is something to the "well, it could be a lot worse" aspect of feeling better about your own life. One time I was driving and feeling bad about my life for whatever reason and I rounded a bend and the sun was slanting down on my car in that late-afternoon, early-fall way, leaves all orange and shit, and then I saw a defensless man getting the shit kicked out of him. And then whatever was bothering me really didn't seem that important, and I felt, momentarily, lucky.

I try to remember that when I'm steeping in self-pity over whoever broke my heart last.

Ok, I know this is in reality a very different scenario from the first one (mostly due to the real/imaginary bad thing), but they both follow the same pattern:  Feeling bad, worse thing, bad thing seems better.  In my opinion, the edited version is downright sick, and I hope you agree.  Which is why I took issue with the post earlier, because that style of attaining perspective is like my example, not Nigel's.

Also:

QuoteDo you see no difference between getting kicks out of other people's misery and seeing this misery, feeling for them, and realising that the things you consider to be important dramas aren't really all that bad in comparison?

Y'know, unless by your saying you get the point/joke you are saying that you understand this.

Ok, yes, having perspective is different, I'll try it with pictures:

oooo <this is your shit, you think it is the worst shit ever.       THEN:

xxxx  <this is someone else's shit, it is worse than yours. (that's why its further down)

your shit is still as bad as it was, its just that now you are aware of the scale of shittiness, and that yours is not at the bottom.  Now, you could say that yours is better now, in relation to what it was previously, but then you're being evil illustrative Nigel.  Plus, that line of thought partially negates the value of personal experience.

x

edd

NotPublished

I think I get what roaring biscuit is getting at, shit happens in life - you shouldn't have a reason to make it lighter by saying "Oh but this other person has it worse maybe I can live with it" ... depends on the severity of course.

I have more to add but I am way too lazy
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NotPublished on February 22, 2010, 09:08:12 PM
I think I get what roaring biscuit is getting at, shit happens in life - you shouldn't have a reason to make it lighter by saying "Oh but this other person has it worse maybe I can live with it" ... depends on the severity of course.

I have more to add but I am way too lazy

I see that point of view as well, and there's no sense in trivializing anyone's difficulties by making comparisons, but sometimes you might see a defenseless man getting the shit kicked out of him and have how shitty that is make you realize that whatever problem you just thought was a big deal actually isn't one at all.

Sort of like, I might complain about not being able to afford a pair of boots I want, but then talk to a friend whose house is getting foreclosed on, and I'd get a whole new perspective on my trivial self-pity.

NotPublished

Yeah, as always depends on the severity, I would think that by making my own problems the same level as someone elses who is obviously quite worse off is just selfish.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Salty

The intense shock is an important part of it. Especially when addressing what, in comparison, really is pathetic self-indulgent moping.

Not only are there people out there who have it WAY WAY worse than I ever could, but I should feel like an ungrateful, whiny dick for not realizing it on my own. And I do.

*shrug*
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.