News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

In Awe of Con-Fusion

Started by Bebek Sincap Ratatosk, February 22, 2010, 04:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

"When these two metals are combined, we say that they are 'con-fused'." - Eliza, "The Confusion" (The Baroque Cycle)

What does it mean to be confused? Most often we likely consider it to mean that someone is bewildered or dealing with conflicting information that brings about a negative state of mind. However, this sort of confusion is only one aspect to the word. Confusion, in fact, may well be useful, beneficial and even desirable... in some sense.

In cryptography we use the term confusion to describe an important operation of a secure cipher. Confusion is the relationship between the encryption 'key' and the 'ciphertext' (the encrypted message). Particularly, good cryptography requires strong Confusion... or a strong, complex relationship between these two elements of the cipher. In fact, the more complex the relationship, the better the cipher. We 'confuse' the key and the data, so that the entire key is used to encrypt every part of the message AND that specific parts of the key are used on specific parts of the message as well. The goal is to create non-uniformity throughout the ciphertext, so that if an attacker has several samples of 'plaintext' they still cannot guess the correct key that was used. In a properly 'confused' algorithm changing one bit in the key, or changing one bit in the plaintext should result in a completely different output. Thus we can say that online banking, credit cards, debit cards, health records, sensitive business documents and secret cabal discussions are all secure, because of Confusion.

Confusion may also make things stronger. If we take metal along with other compounds and liquefy them with heat, we can con-fuse them together to create a metal alloy. If this is done correctly, the compounds become completely intermingled AND if the correct compounds are used, the resulting metal may be far more valuable than the original metals. For example, we may place Iron Ore, Charcoal (carbon) and glass (sillica) into a crucible, seal it and heat it in a furnace. This process takes three useful elements and transforms them into the 'wootz steel', a harder, better steel that holds its edge and exhibits a toughness beyond most other steel alloys of its time. "Damascus Steel" is still a sought after product today... the product of 'confusion'.

Confusion often gets a bum rap, as does Chaos, Discord, Bureaucracy and Aftermath. Yet, these are not always, or necessarily negative things. Chaos can be creative. Discord can force confrontation and resolution. Without Bureaucracy the Internet, hospitals, government, your place of employment and most of reality as we know it couldn't exist. But, Confusion, marvelous, wondrous, alchemical Con-Fusion can take many disparate things and combine them into something new, something better, something more valuable than the sum of its parts.

How better to describe the ideas, debates, metaphors and models discussed by Discordians, than a 'con-fusion' of ideas. The new concepts that come out of our discussions are products of multiple sources; the sciences from those of us who have studied science, the philosophies from those who have studied that. Political science, psychology, personal experiences and absurdity all placed in the crucible of PD.com, heated, combined, forged and Con-Fused into O:MF's, Rants, GASMS, parables and whatever else happens to come out of the fire.

So I exhort all Discordians; Steal ideas, steal metaphors, steal it all and Con-fuse it together, because that is truly the way to Think For Yourself, Schmuck!

Hail Eris, All Hail Discordia!

Ratatosk, Squirrel of Discord
Chatterer of the Words of Eris
Muncher of the ChaoAcorn
POEE of the Great Googlie Mooglie Cabal
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Fujikoma

I REALLY enjoyed the Baroque Cycle, so much that I read it twice...

I must admit, however, I didn't really understand it as well as I would have liked to.

Nice post, btw.

Phox

BadBeast

So Con Fu really can be a Martial Art then. And all these years, I thought I was just fucking with peoples heads, to comply- kata  them.
sending ripples of erroneous options out on the chaos matrix wavelengths, and picking up on solid discord anchorage points, with my Fu-Dar.  Hah!  I'll give them "smelly hippy"!  I'm a Master of Con-Jitsu. 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Fujikoma

Your Con-fu is no match for my E-ghoul Claw!

BadBeast

Quote from: Fujikoma on January 01, 2011, 11:38:52 AM
Your E-ghoul Claw may serve you well in scratching around the general carrion that litters the interwebs, but it will find no chink in the shini, adamantine armour of Con-Jitsu. No purchase for the scrabbling deadness of Ghoulish
Talons here, Grasshopper. Seek some other, softer underbelly to rend, lest your Zomby Raptor's pointy claw become no more than a blunted, nubbin of toenail.   
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Phox

Fujikoma

Quote from: BadBeast on January 01, 2011, 12:34:02 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on January 01, 2011, 11:38:52 AM
Your E-ghoul Claw may serve you well in scratching around the general carrion that litters the interwebs, but it will find no chink in the shini, adamantine armour of Con-Jitsu. No purchase for the scrabbling deadness of Ghoulish
Talons here, Grasshopper. Seek some other, softer underbelly to rend, lest your Zomby Raptor's pointy claw become no more than a blunted, nubbin of toenail.   

Nice! My really bad joke was a bit of a stretch, and I really don't know where to go from there. I guess Con-Jitsu does work.