News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Kallisti sticker

Started by whatnotery, February 22, 2010, 08:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

The OP wanted input, net gave it, quit rolling your eyes and dredging up OLDDDDD drama. If you've ever designed a pamphlet or sticker, you know how hard it is to get good design feedback. No reason to get your panties all preemptively twisted.  :lol:

Suu

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on February 23, 2010, 09:06:36 AM
Quote from: Suu on February 23, 2010, 04:50:16 AM
Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on February 23, 2010, 12:23:01 AM
Quote from: Jason Wabash on February 22, 2010, 11:58:37 PM
I don't like the colors, but what do I know about designing stuff?

I don't like the colors because there's not enough contrast. Due to the inevitable variation between printing devices it's best to err on the side of a bit too much contrast rather than not enough.

I do like the yellow tone and grey-purple in theory, but I think the yellow needs more electricity.

Stickers are supposed to catch your eye, right? Amidst all the other images competing for your attention, I think this color scheme could easily be missed. And maybe that's okay, making it all the more exclusive for the few who do notice it, or it could just be placed more carefully so it stands out nonetheless.

There's other issues IMO, but I'll hold off on those unless whatnotery REALLY wants HORRIBLE, CRITICAL feedback.

Well, at least he didn't use Arial, right?  :roll:

The colors don't bother me on-screen, but with an inkjet chances are the purple would bleed into the gold. Not a huge deal though. I highly doubt the OP is a graphic designer.

You know, I really think the whole Arial thing was a rude lesson that I needed to learn. I was too bogged down with other shit at the time to properly absorb it.

I quite like the on-screen colors too, it's just that on-screen colors are purely hypothetical for a printed piece unless your screen is regularly calibrated to your printer or if you're using a color matching system. I doubt any two of us are looking at the same colors. The more subtle the distinctions between the colors, the more likely they are to print out difficult to read or just plain illegible. On-screen yellows and greens often fall outside the printing color gamut which wastes peoples time and money, something I imagine most people cannot afford at the moment. With just a bit more distinction between the values, the problem is completely avoided.

It's simple to adjust with fancy software but could be a huge pain in the ass for those without.

If he used Photoshop we can easily walk him through the process. It's not hard. But I don't think it's necessary. He gave us a gift and we like him for it.

He also just linked it as is at 72dpi, so naturally it's not going to be perfect anyway even for the most high-end machine.

So! I just gave it a test print as-is, linked from the site without pulling it into Photoshop or another image editor, on my HP all-in-one, and it's clear. The colors are off, but it's not bleeding.

Voila!

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

whatnotery

Quote from: Suu on February 23, 2010, 04:50:16 AM
The colors don't bother me on-screen, but with an inkjet chances are the purple would bleed into the gold. Not a huge deal though. I highly doubt the OP is a graphic designer.

I'm not a graphic designer and I used Gimp not Photoshop (I'm one of those weird GNU/Linux people) and I can redesign it with different colors if anyone has suggestions

fogukaup

I love it,  time to buy some stickies

Telarus

Differences in RGB vs/ CMYK color ranges for 2 value sets:

Design in CMYK if your program supports that color space (it should), then covert a copy to RGB to upload (and also upload a CMYK version so people can print that).

You should be able to switch the color-space into CMYK, then pull these images into your editor and use the eyedroppper tool to pick colors, and tweak from there. Go through a couple of different yellow/purple combos.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Dimocritus

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

E.O.T.

I THINK

the layout is muddley

AND

the colours too.

"a good fight justifies any cause"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The OP did not, actually, ask for input. He did, however, give permission for people to tweak it if THEY want to.

Quote from: whatnotery on February 22, 2010, 08:11:50 PM
Well I designed a sticker that I'm going to put up around my city and thought I'd share
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn143/wotswazilandchulavakia/kallististicker.png
it was designed for use with avery 8163 mailing label sheets but feel free to resize it or really do anything you want with it
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on February 26, 2010, 02:31:43 PM
Quote from: whatnotery on February 22, 2010, 11:29:45 PM
Thanks for all the input everybody :D

Thanking people for unsolicited critique is not the same as asking for it. I think it's called "being polite instead of telling people with unasked-for critique to sod off".

Dude has grace.

Anyway, my point was that the way the sticker was presented was as something he was sharing for anyone to use and/or modify as they wish. So if you don't like the colors, change them; he gave permission.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

It's interesting that for art, merely stating a few things you don't like about it is considered a "critique," while in just about any other subject you'd have to demonstrate a more comprehensive level of analysis than a few comments.

Why should only visual art be above negative feedback? And why should a few statements that express displeasure pass for a critique?

People post rants, poetry and music that receive negative feedback, yet no one tries to place it on this untouchable pedestal that society usually reserves for religion.

But for some reason, visual art often gets this same unwarranted, oversensitive coddling that the religious whine about upon the slightest amount of negativity towards their views.

I have to say I do enjoy the utterly incompatible idea that absurd and distasteful religious views can be ruthlessly mocked, yet no matter how absurd or distasteful some might find a visual creative expression suddenly tact and politeness comes into play.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Only with the person who created it. Third-party presentation of bad art is always open to mockery, and I would go so far as to say that's a matter of personal tact. You'd probably want to be delicate around the subject of a religion with the person who created it.

There is also the practical implication of being polite to people who offer you to use their work for free, because if they don't like you they might not share anymore (you, in particular, must be very familiar with that impulse). In fact, just one person being a dick about an original creation that was offered for free might ruin it in the future for everyone else who was polite and appreciative.

I was simply pointing out to Cram that, contrary to his statement, the OP did NOT ask for feedback, nor was he merely showing off his work, but was offering his sticker to anyone who wanted to use or modify it. Which means, thanks to his generosity, if you don't like an aspect of his design you are welcome to modify it yourself. Telling him that he should make changes, when he's already given permission for anyone to do it if they feel like it, just strikes me as nitpicky, lazy and entitled.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 27, 2010, 02:22:35 AM

I was simply pointing out to Cram that, contrary to his statement, the OP did NOT ask for feedback, nor was he merely showing off his work, but was offering his sticker to anyone who wanted to use or modify it. Which means, thanks to his generosity, if you don't like an aspect of his design you are welcome to modify it yourself. Telling him that he should make changes, when he's already given permission for anyone to do it if they feel like it, just strikes me as nitpicky, lazy and entitled.

The act of posting an item on a public message board assumes you're looking for feedback. If you weren't, you wouldn't post it. Only a drug addled hippie could possibly conceive of posting things on the internet and expect ONLY rainbows and unicorn farts in response. That said, I don't think anyone was rude towards whatnotery in this thread.

This sticker also represents the website so it isn't just a personal artistic expression. We shouldn't be the ones walking on eggshells and biting our tongues so whatnotery will continue to supply us with free art. That strikes me as disingenuous and manipulative. The community should be more than encouraged to tell the OP what they think of the sticker especially if they don't like it and think it does not represent the website. It's better than blowing smoke up an artist's ass until they realize they were only given positive comments so they can continue being used for free work.

It's also an interesting disconnect between abusing people for saying "fnord" or otherwise quoting the PD, but as soon as it's a matter of visual art it's absolutely fantastic and negativity should be squashed!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm really just talking about personal tact and social courtesy. Neither of which I claim to exemplify. You, like everyone, are free to behave as you wish, but if you offend someone, then like everyone else you also have to live with the consequences. Being douchey about design faggotry is but one of many possible ways to offend and/or alienate people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And, seriously, the URL to this website is on probably hundreds, if not thousands, of flyers, cards and other documents, some probably hideously designed, which have never been run by a design "expert", the MGT, or even by other members of this website.

I'm sure that if Faust and ECH have a problem with this, they'll say so.