News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Kallisti sticker

Started by whatnotery, February 22, 2010, 08:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Before we go any further, is Whatnotery an IRL friend of yours?

You just seem to be speaking for them awfully loudly, is all.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on February 27, 2010, 04:02:25 AM
Before we go any further, is Whatnotery an IRL friend of yours?

You just seem to be speaking for them awfully loudly, is all.

I am quite certain it's no one I know, and I'm not speaking for them. Cram stated that the OP had asked for feedback, and I just stated, factually, that they had not.

And then it became a discussion on the social politics of critiquing postings wherein feedback has not been requested. I personally think it depends on a lot of factors, including such elements as the douchebaggery of the critique and whether the OP has said the original article is public domain and may be changed freely, in which case, IMO, critique, instead of just changing the damn thing and posting a revised version, is douchey wankery by default.

This blanket statement also covers EOT, who made a douchey wanker statement in this thread and cannot even back it up.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Yeah, I'm through here. Goodnight.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 27, 2010, 04:14:00 AM

...Instead of just changing the damn thing and posting a revised version, is douchey wankery by default.

If you knew a bit more about digital graphics you'd know there are some things you can't change without a lot of difficulty, however, they can be changed easily by the person with the original file.

Layout and resolution problems especially apply here.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on February 27, 2010, 04:24:05 AM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 27, 2010, 04:14:00 AM

...Instead of just changing the damn thing and posting a revised version, is douchey wankery by default.

If you knew a bit more about digital graphics you'd know there are some things you can't change without a lot of difficulty, however, they can be changed easily by the person with the original file.

Layout and resolution problems especially apply here.

I know a bare minimum about digital graphics; just enough to do my own magazine ads, posters, business cards and the like, and to help some of my neophyte business peers with theirs.

I bet, since he made the offer, he'd email you the file.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

You guyz, I think it's not an issue of being nice/not nice but rather, as Nigel pointed out, that the OP didn't explicitly ask for input on the design but accepted it anyway because that's the generally decent thing to do.

Now let's all kiss and make up.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks, Nast. Yeah, basically I thought the OP handled unasked-for critique with grace and aplomb.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Whatnotery, do you feel like anyone's comments in this thread were rude and if so why?

And for established PD.com denizens, I reiterate my earlier observation:

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on February 27, 2010, 03:29:22 AM
It's also an interesting disconnect between abusing people for saying "fnord" or otherwise quoting the PD, but as soon as it's a matter of visual art it's absolutely fantastic and negativity should be squashed!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on February 27, 2010, 03:29:22 AM
It's also an interesting disconnect between abusing people for saying "fnord" or otherwise quoting the PD, but as soon as it's a matter of visual art it's absolutely fantastic and negativity should be squashed!

I kinda suspect it's different individuals engaging in those different actions. Also, quoting the PD or saying "fnord" is not art,

whereas original poetry, paintings, design, essays, fiction, etc is, and if it's posted in Bring & Brag or MM without invitation to critique, I assume it is not being posted for C&C but simply to share it. That's simply a longstanding social convention I observed in various creative communities starting 20 years ago, and I try to observe it.

whatnotery

Quote from: Telarus on February 24, 2010, 12:35:05 AM
Design in CMYK if your program supports that color space (it should), then covert a copy to RGB to upload (and also upload a CMYK version so people can print that).
I tried to convert to cmyk but gimp doesn't seem to support anything beyond srgb.

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on February 27, 2010, 05:52:20 AM
Whatnotery, do you feel like anyone's comments in this thread were rude and if so why?
Not really but I also was not looking for input, I do however Appreciate most of what was said as it will improve my future designs

Telarus

This is an app that converts .tiff images:

http://www.smokingun.co.uk/sg/freestuff.htm
(last one on the page)
QuoteRgb2Cmyk is a freeware utility program for converting Xara X Pantone CMYK images exported as RGB TIFF files back to accurate Pantone CMYK format Tiff files.

Here's some image editors that support CMYK (look for the freeware):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_raster_graphics_editors#Color_spaces
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

whatnotery

Quote from: Telarus on February 28, 2010, 08:35:53 PM
This is an app that converts .tiff images:

http://www.smokingun.co.uk/sg/freestuff.htm
(last one on the page)
QuoteRgb2Cmyk is a freeware utility program for converting Xara X Pantone CMYK images exported as RGB TIFF files back to accurate Pantone CMYK format Tiff files.

Here's some image editors that support CMYK (look for the freeware):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_raster_graphics_editors#Color_spaces

thanks for the info   :D

Triple Zero

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 27, 2010, 06:42:52 AMwhereas original poetry, paintings, design, essays, fiction, etc is, and if it's posted in Bring & Brag or MM without invitation to critique, I assume it is not being posted for C&C but simply to share it. That's simply a longstanding social convention I observed in various creative communities starting 20 years ago, and I try to observe it.

I'm pretty much the other way around. Unless I'm explicitly saying "this is probably not very good and I'm not looking for critique", I wouldn't "simply share" anything without expecting and looking for critique.

IMO it's the same side of a different coin. When you post something awesome, you don't explicitly invite people to praise it, do you? But we still do. I think it's kind of weird if simply sharing something would imply "it's okay to praise this but not critique".

However, it is never an invitation to be douchy about it. But to be fair, all critique ITT has been constructive, and therefore not douchy. Well maybe EOT's remark was not very constructive, but it's nothing really worth jacking a thread over, is it?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Will all respect, I consider an artwork much like an idea, or an opinion.

We criticize each other's ideas and opinions all the time.  It's one of our biggest pasttimes.

So, if I have a comment about someone's art, I feel I should be allowed to say it. 

Sure, being a douche about it isn't cool (unless it's really funny), but being a douche is kind of this boards other biggest pasttimes.

I mean, Nigel posted a poem here a few months ago that I though was really good, up until the last line.  And I said so.  And she took the comment in good grace, and we talked about it.

I really hope those kinds of things aren't frowned upon these days.  That would suck.