News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

The Eris Look

Started by hooplala, February 22, 2010, 08:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Telarus

Eris is linked to the Graiai[~Graiae] through her aspect as Enyo and Bellona (Pephredo, Enyo, and Dino, the 3 hags that helped Perseus kill Medusa, who oddly enough was a member of the Gorgons triplicate Stheno, Eurayle, and Medusa, which were "sisters" to the Graiai,).

You've got to keep in mind tho, that Enyo was commonly known in certain areas as Ma-Enyo, or just Ma. Ma was also known as Ma-Cybele, or Rhea. This layering of masks figures through all of Eris' mythos, from pre-Classical to Current.

CHAOS -> Nyx -> Eris -> Ma-Enyo/Pephredo/Dino -> Ma-Cybele(Kybele) -> Rhea (who, with Kronos, birthed Zeus).

The family tree gets even more tangled when some authors claim that Eris/Enyo was Zeus' daughter and Ares' sister, making her her own Grand-Ma. This I think was a later obfuscation to protect the mysteries. Oddly enough, if you look up Roman temples and art related to these figures, they usually don't have any public service, or publicly recognized clergy until you get to the more "common" deities of Rhea/Ma-Cybele/Bonna-Dea (the Great Mother, who incidentally the Scythians called the Great Crone and said birthed the Hemp plant/angel...... incidentally, did you know that Buddha Gautama was from a noble Scythian clan?).  The Bellona temple was used to meet with ambassadors and formally declare war, and this Bureaucracy element has been artistically represented as recently as the civil war.

Enyo/Bellona would most likely be pictured in war regalia as she was the Roman goddess who's temple hosted all of the War Planning sessions. Enyo (~destroyer of cities)/Bellona have some historical artistic representations:

This is a bronze by Rodin!

More:

Greg and Kerry knew more mythology than they let on.

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Quintus Smyrnaeus
"To one place Eris (Strife incarnate) drew them all, the fearful Battle-queen, beheld of none, but cloaked in clouds blood-raining: on she stalked swelling the mighty roar of battle, now rushed through Troy's squadrons, through Akhaia's now; Phobos (Panic) and Deimos (Fear) still waited on her steps to make their father's [Ares'] sister glorious. From small to huge that Fury's stature grew; her arms of adamant were blood-besprent, the deadly lance she brandished reached the sky. Earth quaked beneath her feet: dread blasts of fire flamed from her mouth: her voice pealed thunder-like kindling strong men. Swift closed the fronts of fight drawn by a dread Power to the mighty work."

Sounds like she definitely wasn't dainty.

[Edit: posted at the same time as Telarus.]

Great post Telarus, interesting stuff!  Funny how we can reach opposite conclusions from the same material though, because you said:

Quote from: TelarusGreg and Kerry knew more mythology than they let on.

I personally was thinking that Eris was a bad choice for what they seemed to be going for.  Much more of a war goddess, the embodiment of hate not chaos, and hardly a prankster.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Regardless, the question is really how to turn all this to our advantage via propaganda.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Here's some links to ancient coinage:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25089.msg165794#msg165794

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25089.msg169438#msg169438

And holy shit, that leads me to find Her dagger:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=bellona
QuoteBellona - A goddess created to share the fatigues and sanguinary glories of Mars; but whether as wife, sister, or companion, is not said. The figure of this female tutelary of warriors is considered by some to appear on a large brass of Gordian III, bearing on its reverse  the legend  of VIRTVS AVGG (Virtus Augustorum); standing with a spear in one hand, and resting the other on a shield  upon the ground. The galeated Amazon is generally distiguished from Minerva  by holding a parazonium; and from Roma, by not bearing an idol of Victory; and, excepting the right breast and the left foot, her limbs are covered with drapery. Captain Smyth, p 247  Dictionary of Roman Coins

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Parazonium
QuoteParazonium - A weapon similar to a dagger but longer (about 35 to 50 cm in length), and semi-triagular in shape; always carried in a sheath which is usually attached mid-body.

Parazonium - Numismatic antiquaries are not agreed as to the proper signification of the word, when applied to an object seen on several Roman coins of the Imperial series. Patin, also referring to its Greek etymology, says the parazonium was a weapon so called because it was worn suspended by a belt or chain from the zona, or girdle; but that it had no point, because a general ought not to be cruel towards his own people. Spanheim speaks of parazonia as swords attached to the thigh, or hanging from a girdle. "But," says Jobert, "Its very form, and the manner in which it is held, is opposed to this opinion." And then he alludes to the medal of Honos et Virtus, struck under Galba, in which Virtus holds what is called the parazonium upright, one end resting on his knee. He also adduces instances, on coins of Titus and Domitian, in both which it rests on the side, not attached to the girdle. And he quotes a reverse of Antoninus Pius, in which this parazonium, which Patin calls scipio, is across both shoulders in the form of a quiver. These exceptional cases of the manner in which it appears upon coins to have been carried, do not, however, interfere with the more usual acceptation of the word as signifying a short sheathed sword, worn at the girdle. The circular termination does not shew that the sword had no point, for it is merely the metallic end of the sheath.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=Parazonium&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Salty

Those really ought to be standard issue for any and all Discordians.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Telarus

Here's a statue showing the parazonium scabbard worn over the left breast. Women, of course, would have to shift the scabbard belt to between their breasts.

Quote from: Guy Incognito on February 22, 2010, 11:52:15 PM
Great post Telarus, interesting stuff!  Funny how we can reach opposite conclusions from the same material though, because you said:

Quote from: TelarusGreg and Kerry knew more mythology than they let on.

I personally was thinking that Eris was a bad choice for what they seemed to be going for.  Much more of a war goddess, the embodiment of hate not chaos, and hardly a prankster.

Guy, I encourage you to meditate on the opening line of the PD, "Or, How I Found the Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her.".
Telarus, KSC,

Requia ☣

I personally was thinking that Eris was a bad choice for what they seemed to be going for.  Much more of a war goddess, the embodiment of hate not chaos, and hardly a prankster.

She was that too.  Thats the good and bad chaos thing.

Quote from: HesiodSo, after all, there was not one kind of Strife alone, but all over the earth there are two. As for the one, a man would praise her when he came to understand her; but the other is blameworthy: and they are wholly different in nature.
    For one fosters evil war and battle, being cruel: her no man loves; but perforce, through the will of the deathless gods, men pay harsh Strife her honour due.
    But the other is the elder daughter of dark Night (Nyx), and the son of Cronus who sits above and dwells in the aether, set her in the roots of the earth: and she is far kinder to men. She stirs up even the shiftless to toil; for a man grows eager to work when he considers his neighbour, a rich man who hastens to plough and plant and put his house in good order; and neighbour vies with his neighbour as he hurries after wealth. This Strife is wholesome for men. And potter is angry with potter, and craftsman with craftsman, and beggar is jealous of beggar, and minstrel of minstrel.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Telarus on February 23, 2010, 12:31:40 AM
Guy, I encourage you to meditate on the opening line of the PD, "Or, How I Found the Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her.".

Uh oh, do I have to do penance for blaspheming Eris? :D

By the way, which opening line are you referring to?

This one?

GREATER POOP: Are you really serious or what?
MAL-2: Sometimes I take humor seriously. Sometimes I take seriousness humorously. Either way it is irrelevant.

NotPublished

One ofthe later editions thats the title
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 23, 2010, 01:38:10 AM

She was that too.  Thats the good and bad chaos thing.

Quote from: HesiodSo, after all, there was not one kind of Strife alone, but all over the earth there are two. As for the one, a man would praise her when he came to understand her; but the other is blameworthy: and they are wholly different in nature.
   For one fosters evil war and battle, being cruel: her no man loves; but perforce, through the will of the deathless gods, men pay harsh Strife her honour due.
   But the other is the elder daughter of dark Night (Nyx), and the son of Cronus who sits above and dwells in the aether, set her in the roots of the earth: and she is far kinder to men. She stirs up even the shiftless to toil; for a man grows eager to work when he considers his neighbour, a rich man who hastens to plough and plant and put his house in good order; and neighbour vies with his neighbour as he hurries after wealth. This Strife is wholesome for men. And potter is angry with potter, and craftsman with craftsman, and beggar is jealous of beggar, and minstrel of minstrel.

I just don't see it.  Not that it's a big deal, it's just my personal interpretation, and I understand that there were multiple aspects to the Greek goddess Strife.  But I see her as humorless and wrathful-- even in her positive aspects-- particularly in her connection with Ares and her being almost indistinguishable from Enyo.

I've always thought Ananke (Necessity) would have been a better fit in terms of her classical domain, but I suppose her name doesn't have the same ring to it.

NotPublished

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Guy Incognito on February 23, 2010, 03:47:46 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 23, 2010, 01:38:10 AM

She was that too.  Thats the good and bad chaos thing.

I just don't see it.  Not that it's a big deal, it's just my personal interpretation, and I understand that there were multiple aspects to the Greek goddess Strife.  But I see her as humorless and wrathful-- even in her positive aspects-- particularly in her connection with Ares and her being almost indistinguishable from Enyo.

I've always thought Ananke (Necessity) would have been a better fit in terms of her classical domain, but I suppose her name doesn't have the same ring to it.

Isn't there a bit in the PD about how the Greeks got her all wrong?

Also, many Discordians think that Eris is a crazy, vindictive bitch who will fuck with you just to see you suffer, should you be so unfortunate as to catch her attention. She's not the merry prankster with the absurd sense of humor; we are, for being so silly as to worship Our Lady of Confusion.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

NotPublished

... theres always Eric the Transexual?  :lol: :lol:

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: NotPublished on February 22, 2010, 09:32:09 PM
I think Eris should look like a Proper Lady, but with a million cats
Eris, the Herder of Cats!
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘