News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

one person one set of hands

Started by -Kel-, February 22, 2010, 10:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Kel-

I took a pay cut of three dollars for a receptionist gig at which they said  "you just answer the phone and greet people and there is some "light filing." and you can do homework at your desk. we dont mind"
upon starting here i find out the girl that worked here before me didn't do any of the filing at all. now the filing also encompasses making the files. so i have to take the paper work and proofs out of these plastic holders, move them into a file, lable them, and file them in the back room.
sounds easy right?
 NOT WHEN THERE IS A BACK LOG OF OVER 1000 FILES. i got caught up on the stuff the girl got done, but in that process i am now behind. I'm also chained to my desk, in theory, so i have to run back to the file room and put files away and run back to my desk and hope noone called.
yes i still attempt to study at my desk as im taking 20 credit hours. but i do my work and get done what i can. also my desk is metal so i get shocked all day by it. the customer service reps get upset if they dont have the plastic things or can't find a file quickly. i try to keep them in order but its difficult when people keep taking them and then just throwing them back into a giant pile. also the back filing room i was just barely told is my responisbility to move old files into the back storage. if i am away from my desk i get yelled at!!! if the csr's dont have they're plasicic bins i get yelled at, if they can't find a file i get yelled at. if the back room isn't in order i get yelled at. if a client calls in and a csr wont answer their phone i get yelled at by the client then the csr yells at me for paging them as requested by the client. and all for under paid what im worth. and all cause i was told "light filing" and needed to survive.
</rant>

Dr. Paes

Quote from: -Kel- on February 22, 2010, 10:12:50 PM
I took a pay cut of three dollars for a receptionist gig at which they said  "you just answer the phone and greet people and there is some "light filing." and you can do homework at your desk. we dont mind"
upon starting here i find out the girl that worked here before me didn't do any of the filing at all. now the filing also encompasses making the files. so i have to take the paper work and proofs out of these plastic holders, move them into a file, lable them, and file them in the back room.
sounds easy right?
 NOT WHEN THERE IS A BACK LOG OF OVER 1000 FILES. i got caught up on the stuff the girl got done, but in that process i am now behind. I'm also chained to my desk, in theory, so i have to run back to the file room and put files away and run back to my desk and hope noone called.
yes i still attempt to study at my desk as im taking 20 credit hours. but i do my work and get done what i can. also my desk is metal so i get shocked all day by it. the customer service reps get upset if they dont have the plastic things or can't find a file quickly. i try to keep them in order but its difficult when people keep taking them and then just throwing them back into a giant pile. also the back filing room i was just barely told is my responisbility to move old files into the back storage. if i am away from my desk i get yelled at!!! if the csr's dont have they're plasicic bins i get yelled at, if they can't find a file i get yelled at. if the back room isn't in order i get yelled at. if a client calls in and a csr wont answer their phone i get yelled at by the client then the csr yells at me for paging them as requested by the client. and all for under paid what im worth. and all cause i was told "light filing" and needed to survive.
</rant>

Ouch. Light filing NEVAR means light filing.
I got a job doing "light filing" at an optometrists, among other tasks I had to do there. When I went for the job they gave showed me a small inbox which they were to put files in. Seemed easy enough.
First day of work comes and I when I ask where the files need filing TO, I'm told they have shelves for them in a tiny fire-proof box of a room but no filing system and boxes and boxes of records for all the patients they've had over the last seven years and would I mind tidying up in there a bit and putting things in order?

:argh!:

Cramulus

add extra files

add a file for "good ideas"

Insert a map of the office, mark off a "blast radius" with a big red circle.

add a file for "stupid mistakes"

in that folder, insert your boss's resume.

hopefully, these will not be found until after you leave

-Kel-

Quote from: Cramulus on February 23, 2010, 04:12:39 PM
add extra files

ill do it!

[/quote]
my boss is one of the only pro's of working here, ill put the head of IT's resume in there.

[/quote]

hope so too, im applying everywhere i can.

Freeky

add extra files

:lulz:

cavehamster

It always seems that the most horrible part of any job is the bit that during the interview they say, 'oh, and by the way, you will need to do <something that sounds minor>'.

I took a job at one point where the guy asked me if I knew how to mop... I ended up having to double sweep and mop 5000 square foot every morning.  Gah.

Cramulus

:lulz: I hear that loud and clear

In December 2008, my boss asked me if I could fill out a spreadsheet for him. Sounded real simple.

14 months later, I am still working on the same fucking spreadsheet. It is my only job duty.

Freeky

Christ, what goes in that spreadsheet?

Jenne

add extra files

:mittens:  Cram, you are truly awesomeness, in a can, wiff cheese!!!!

I am passing off these godawful binders for PTA folks at 2 levels in June.  I think I'll have a "cartoon" file or something random in them.  Fer shits n giggles...

Cramulus

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on February 24, 2010, 08:06:37 PM
Christ, what goes in that spreadsheet?

it organizes the metadata for this online testing software we're launching.

so really, they're asking me to launch this software platform.

Up until last month, the only people who could help me were these idiots in New Mexico, whose English is worse than the kids this software is for.

Sales reps keep dropping by to see how it's coming. I hate to explain to them that I'm just an assistant hired part time, and am uncomfortable with being the only point-man on an expensive software launch.

"soooo.... when's it gonna be done?" they ask.

"It'll be done when I can get some resources and support from the company. If you'd like to see a copy of my resume, you'll note that software development is notoriously absent."

"So.... are we talking one month? two months?"

:kingmeh:

Freeky

Sounds like you work around idiots, Cram. :lulz:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on February 24, 2010, 08:05:06 PM

In December 2008, my boss asked me if I could fill out a spreadsheet for him. Sounded real simple.

14 months later, I am still working on the same fucking spreadsheet. It is my only job duty.

Um, that is fucking win of epic proportions.  With any luck at all, you can milk it for years to come.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2010, 09:25:40 PM

Um, that is fucking win of epic proportions.  With any luck at all, you can milk it for years to come.

It has pros and cons.

Pros: On Tuesday I left work three hours early. I told my boss "uhhh yeah so I've gotta decompress these images, re-encode them, and then recompress them or they won't display properly. My home computer can do that faster than my work computer. Can I take off?" he looked at me blankly, blinked about six times, and said, "yes definitely, go for it." Nobody has any fucking clue what I do at this company.

Cons: This company is never going to hire me for real until this interminable project is done. They keep tempting me with job opportunities, but then they realize that this project is "too important" to take anybody off of it. And if I wasn't working on it, it'd be dead in the water. So they're stringing me along with three days a week of employment FOREVER. It's lots of sticks and no carrots.

I don't really want this job anymore - I don't feel like I'm learning anything or becoming better networked.  My involvement in this project has put me on an island where I'm not involved with anything else the company is doing, so I'm perpetually out of the loop. I often hear things like, "Oh, you still work here?"

But at this point I've been working towards a promotion for so long (3 years), if I quit I'll feel like I'll have wasted all that time.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on February 24, 2010, 09:54:44 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2010, 09:25:40 PM

Um, that is fucking win of epic proportions.  With any luck at all, you can milk it for years to come.

It has pros and cons.

Pros: On Tuesday I left work three hours early. I told my boss "uhhh yeah so I've gotta decompress these images, re-encode them, and then recompress them or they won't display properly. My home computer can do that faster than my work computer. Can I take off?" he looked at me blankly, blinked about six times, and said, "yes definitely, go for it." Nobody has any fucking clue what I do at this company.

Cons: This company is never going to hire me for real until this interminable project is done. They keep tempting me with job opportunities, but then they realize that this project is "too important" to take anybody off of it. And if I wasn't working on it, it'd be dead in the water. So they're stringing me along with three days a week of employment FOREVER. It's lots of sticks and no carrots.

Um, sounds like you're the one holding the stick.  Just saying.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

you make a strong point. I just have to figure out how to use that stick as a lever. The sword of Damocles is suspended very precariously above my head. And this project is so late and overdue it's actually become a joke. (it was supposed to be launched in september)

If I tell them they can shove it and figure it out on their own, it's not that much of a stretch for them to say, "that's cool, we were gonna can the project anyway!"