News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

another stupid fucking thread in apple talk

Started by -Kel-, February 24, 2010, 11:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, no, I hate this thread too. Totally with you on that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

-Kel-

i make pointless thread to cheer myself and maybe other people up with junk food for the brain. it might stir other types of dialogue. I will stop and go back to my studies on how were all slowly dying and killing ourselves and can't even save anything because our replacement level is to low.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It really doesn't bother me, as long as it's not named Film Flam. Because that thread ruined my life.

I've just noticed a lot of complaints lately about the proliferation of pointless fluff threads, and my perspective is that the complaints are not only more annoying than the threads, but also they keep the threads going. If people are interested/having fun in a thread, it will survive. If they're not, it will die and sink to the bottom. The "ZOMG I hate this pointless fluff thread!" posts are every bit as pointless and fluffy as an "OMG I have a zit!" post or a "What's Stuck To The Bottom Of Your Shoe?" thread.

I hate a lot of threads, so don't take my hatred of this particular one personally. For example, I hate almost all the threads about music, games or television, and most of the threads in the politics subforum. But there's not really a point to trying to control what people feel like talking about when you can just mark it read and move on. Nobody's going to force me to talk about politics, but I like to talk about art. Nobody's going to force you to talk about games, but you like to talk about music. Seems fair to me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Whenever I see a thread I dislike/am uninterested in or see people complaining about threads they dislike/etc. my first impulse is to create some propaganda or write something to counterbalance.

However, I do also appreciate people bitching about shit they don't like as it keeps things interesting, IMO.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Kai

I like reading meaningless bullshit occasionally to balance the all too meaningful stuff I think about the rest of the time.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

Quote from: Kai on February 25, 2010, 04:26:13 AM
I like reading meaningless bullshit occasionally to balance the all too meaningful stuff I think about the rest of the time.

THIS.  I mean, I guess I could waste my time blogging on the blagosphere instead of hanging here.  My life is NOT sunshine and roses 169% of the time, sometimes yukking it up is just, yukking it up.

...and can someone PLEASE explain to me WTF Apple Talk is for, if not for pointless shit (sometimes)?  Isn't that in the description?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's too bad there isn't a way to choose/ignore which forums you want to have show on your newscan.

Jasper

Quote from: Kai on February 25, 2010, 04:26:13 AM

Very.

NotPublished

I quit thinking several months ago ... I only react based off of a series of liquid filled bladders.

I forget where I was going with this.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: -Kel- on February 24, 2010, 11:08:03 PM
i have had four stuck in my head today.....

David Bowie - Young Americian
That song does have some sweet sax playing in it. I have no idea what the lyrics are supposed to mean though.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO on February 25, 2010, 02:51:45 AM
Yeah, I know I'm in the minority here. Obviously.

not at all. this place is rapidly turning into a shitpile.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

I know it sounds funny but I just can't stand the pain.

Thread, I'm leaving you tomorrow!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

I think the thing that did it for me is that this thread could have easily been posted in the Bodega (aka Fecebook), as "OMG, I have the Monchichi jingle stuck in my head!" or something like that.  Something to be commented on in passing.  By making it a separate thread topic, you more-or-less designate it as something important enough to you that you need to announce it in a special way.

"OK LMNO," you say, "we get it.  You're a pedantic fuckhead who's obsessed with semantics and is overly territorial about a fucking internet forum."  Well, sure.  And I know that the easiest way to let something die is to ignore it and not post.

But not posting how you feel is unspoken permission for it to continue.  Let's say that I ignored this "earworm" thread.  Then I ignore the "tell us what's stuck to the bottom of your shoe" thread.  Then I ignore the "what's in your pocket?" thread (unless Richter is the only one posting.  The shit he carries around is usually pretty interesting).  Then I ignore the "what's the thread count of your sheets?" thread.

See, while ignoring a thread may make that individual thread drift down, it tacitly allows that kind of thread to propogate.  Which I find to be more of a problem, really.  A handful of fluff threads are fine, and usually have enough thread drift to keep it mildly entertaining.  But reams and reams of fluff threads means that thread drift doesn't happen as often; and what I like about a good fluff thread is the way the topic can wander all over the place, and may actually reveal something creative and interesting and new.

A good conversation can stretch to encompass all of human existence even if it starts out about what kind of tea you like.  But that conversation has to endure.  It can't just be a few back and forths, and then off to the next topic.  It needs to evolve, to develop it's own rhythms, and track out a meandering direction of it's own.  It has to rub shoulders internally against non-sequitors and gear shifts, and the sparks that come from the friction can birth new ideas.  If there are too many separate narratives to keep track of, the potential for creativity plunges.

Yeah. So.  I've said my piece, and I'll shut up for now...  But knowing me, I'll be commenting on this sort of thing again eventually.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on February 25, 2010, 01:46:14 PM
I think the thing that did it for me is that this thread could have easily been posted in the Bodega (aka Fecebook), as "OMG, I have the Monchichi jingle stuck in my head!" or something like that.  Something to be commented on in passing.  By making it a separate thread topic, you more-or-less designate it as something important enough to you that you need to announce it in a special way.

"OK LMNO," you say, "we get it.  You're a pedantic fuckhead who's obsessed with semantics and is overly territorial about a fucking internet forum."  Well, sure.  And I know that the easiest way to let something die is to ignore it and not post.

But not posting how you feel is unspoken permission for it to continue.  Let's say that I ignored this "earworm" thread.  Then I ignore the "tell us what's stuck to the bottom of your shoe" thread.  Then I ignore the "what's in your pocket?" thread (unless Richter is the only one posting.  The shit he carries around is usually pretty interesting).  Then I ignore the "what's the thread count of your sheets?" thread.

See, while ignoring a thread may make that individual thread drift down, it tacitly allows that kind of thread to propogate.  Which I find to be more of a problem, really.  A handful of fluff threads are fine, and usually have enough thread drift to keep it mildly entertaining.  But reams and reams of fluff threads means that thread drift doesn't happen as often; and what I like about a good fluff thread is the way the topic can wander all over the place, and may actually reveal something creative and interesting and new.

A good conversation can stretch to encompass all of human existence even if it starts out about what kind of tea you like.  But that conversation has to endure.  It can't just be a few back and forths, and then off to the next topic.  It needs to evolve, to develop it's own rhythms, and track out a meandering direction of it's own.  It has to rub shoulders internally against non-sequitors and gear shifts, and the sparks that come from the friction can birth new ideas.  If there are too many separate narratives to keep track of, the potential for creativity plunges.

Yeah. So.  I've said my piece, and I'll shut up for now...  But knowing me, I'll be commenting on this sort of thing again eventually.

Congratulations, you just made this thread interesting.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO