News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

another stupid fucking thread in apple talk

Started by -Kel-, February 24, 2010, 11:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Kel-

Quote from: LMNO on February 25, 2010, 01:46:14 PM
I think the thing that did it for me is that this thread could have easily been posted in the Bodega (aka Fecebook), as "OMG, I have the Monchichi jingle stuck in my head!" or something like that.  Something to be commented on in passing.  By making it a separate thread topic, you more-or-less designate it as something important enough to you that you need to announce it in a special way.

"OK LMNO," you say, "we get it.  You're a pedantic fuckhead who's obsessed with semantics and is overly territorial about a fucking internet forum."  Well, sure.  And I know that the easiest way to let something die is to ignore it and not post.

But not posting how you feel is unspoken permission for it to continue.  Let's say that I ignored this "earworm" thread.  Then I ignore the "tell us what's stuck to the bottom of your shoe" thread.  Then I ignore the "what's in your pocket?" thread (unless Richter is the only one posting.  The shit he carries around is usually pretty interesting).  Then I ignore the "what's the thread count of your sheets?" thread.

See, while ignoring a thread may make that individual thread drift down, it tacitly allows that kind of thread to propogate.  Which I find to be more of a problem, really.  A handful of fluff threads are fine, and usually have enough thread drift to keep it mildly entertaining.  But reams and reams of fluff threads means that thread drift doesn't happen as often; and what I like about a good fluff thread is the way the topic can wander all over the place, and may actually reveal something creative and interesting and new.

A good conversation can stretch to encompass all of human existence even if it starts out about what kind of tea you like.  But that conversation has to endure.  It can't just be a few back and forths, and then off to the next topic.  It needs to evolve, to develop it's own rhythms, and track out a meandering direction of it's own.  It has to rub shoulders internally against non-sequitors and gear shifts, and the sparks that come from the friction can birth new ideas.  If there are too many separate narratives to keep track of, the potential for creativity plunges.

Yeah. So.  I've said my piece, and I'll shut up for now...  But knowing me, I'll be commenting on this sort of thing again eventually.

noted

Iason Ouabache

I think the thing that did it for me is that this thread could have easily been posted in the Bodega (aka Fecebook), as "OMG, I have the Monchichi jingle stuck in my head!" or something like that.  Something to be commented on in passing.  By making it a separate thread topic, you more-or-less designate it as something important enough to you that you need to announce it in a special way.

"OK LMNO," you say, "we get it.  You're a pedantic fuckhead who's obsessed with semantics and is overly territorial about a fucking internet forum."  Well, sure.  And I know that the easiest way to let something die is to ignore it and not post.

But not posting how you feel is unspoken permission for it to continue.  Let's say that I ignored this "earworm" thread.  Then I ignore the "tell us what's stuck to the bottom of your shoe" thread.  Then I ignore the "what's in your pocket?" thread (unless Richter is the only one posting.  The shit he carries around is usually pretty interesting).  Then I ignore the "what's the thread count of your sheets?" thread.

See, while ignoring a thread may make that individual thread drift down, it tacitly allows that kind of thread to propogate.  Which I find to be more of a problem, really.  A handful of fluff threads are fine, and usually have enough thread drift to keep it mildly entertaining.  But reams and reams of fluff threads means that thread drift doesn't happen as often; and what I like about a good fluff thread is the way the topic can wander all over the place, and may actually reveal something creative and interesting and new.

A good conversation can stretch to encompass all of human existence even if it starts out about what kind of tea you like.  But that conversation has to endure.  It can't just be a few back and forths, and then off to the next topic.  It needs to evolve, to develop it's own rhythms, and track out a meandering direction of it's own.  It has to rub shoulders internally against non-sequitors and gear shifts, and the sparks that come from the friction can birth new ideas.  If there are too many separate narratives to keep track of, the potential for creativity plunges.

Yeah. So.  I've said my piece, and I'll shut up for now...  But knowing me, I'll be commenting on this sort of thing again eventually.
Apple Talk sucks. Apple Talk has always sucked. It will continue sucking for the foreseeable future. You will get over it.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Doktor Howl

Complaining about Apple Talk is like complaining about Tucson...everyone already knows, and you're just gonna get more powdered poop in your mouth while you're saying it.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have seen shit on this forum over the last couple of years that is way stupider than this thread.

And, take note if you give a shit; if there was less retarded fluff on this forum, I would probably not feel compelled to post any of my creative writing here, ever. Maybe fluff isn't such a terrible thing. Also, fuck you Kai.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Jason Wabash on February 25, 2010, 05:20:02 PM
Apple Talk sucks. Apple Talk has always sucked. It will continue sucking for the foreseeable future. You will get over it.

:cn:

The majority (if not entirety) of the "Letter Rants" were posted here.  WOMP began here.  The Scrid was born here.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 25, 2010, 05:44:58 PM

The majority (if not entirety) of the "Letter Rants" were posted here.  WOMP began here.  The Scrid was born here.

So start something.
Molon Lube

Jenne

Quote from: Hoopla on February 25, 2010, 01:54:20 PM

Congratulations, you just made this thread interesting.

:lulz:  :mittens:

I think I'd like to start collecting dimes everytime someone thinks this forum's turning into a shitpile.

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 25, 2010, 05:45:52 PM

So start something.

all my inspiration is going towards my music these days.  FOR SCIENCE!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on February 25, 2010, 05:48:01 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on February 25, 2010, 01:54:20 PM

Congratulations, you just made this thread interesting.

:lulz:  :mittens:

I think I'd like to start collecting dimes everytime someone thinks this forum's turning into a shitpile.

I have been distressed by this sort of shit dozens of times.  But I've come to learn that you can't force the good shit.  It will happen when it happens, and you need to just enjoy it while it's there.  

It occurs to me that this attitude applies outside of PD, as well.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on February 25, 2010, 05:48:25 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 25, 2010, 05:45:52 PM

So start something.

all my inspiration is going towards my music these days.  FOR SCIENCE!

Fair enough.  I'm busy trying to learn how to use FLstudio, myself.

My only beef is that the fluff threads should be confined to apple talk (with the exception of threads concerning food).
Molon Lube

Jenne

Advice to the mods/admins who are still bitching bout this (because you are REALLY not alone here, LMNO):

IF YOU WANT REALLY FOR REAL TOPIX ONLY IN APPLE TALK, then change the description of the subforum.

But blaming people for spooging it up with personal spam is just bludgeoning your head against the inevitable.  And I've also heard EVERYONE of you say--Hey, you don't like it, take a walk, Buddy.

-Kel-

Doktor Howl is right, all my threads turn into giant mushroom clouds. And that's just the bullshit to move my mind away from my work with my school which is DOOM DOOM DOOM.

now to go read an article called: WAR IS A FORCE THAT GIVES US MEANING.

oh joy, oh rapture

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I'm just going to point out that some of the people who have bitched about this being stupid have posted stuff that is equal to or greater than this thread in banality themselves and it's gone on for pages and pages.

LMNO

Shibboleet The Annihilator

It's not a real thread until GIGGLES posts in it.