News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

000's Digital Data-Driven Design Doodles

Started by Triple Zero, February 27, 2010, 02:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Wheeee check it out:

http://tr.im/datadrivendesigndoodles or http://elvicities.com/~ananames/swirl.svg

tested to work in Opera and Firefox (sorry IE users)

it's randomly generated swirly twirly doodles in retro-70s design :D you can either reload or click to get a new one!

enjoy! perhaps post screenshots of ones you really like or something :-P

(btw for those who run both Opera and FF, I would advice Opera because its SVG rendering engine gives higher quality images, sometimes the Firefox makes a littlebit ragged artifacts at the edges, taking IMO away from the smooth roundy curvy look of the whole thing)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Muir

I just spent 5 minutes clicking on it. o_o  Fun!!
Remember, there are no stupid questions - but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots...

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Triple Zero

haaaahahaha those are awesome Cramulus!!

Really interesting you did this, because my gf was also recognizing images, shapes and figures in the squiggles. Additionally she compared them to the work of Karel Appel:

http://www.cantonart.org/ArtGateway/collection/a/appel-jumping-fox.jpg
http://www.konstbolaget.se/images/product/large/Appel.Karel-6.Figurkomposit.gif.500
http://www.rogallery.com/_RG-Images/Appel/Appel-Floating_Red_Passion.jpg
http://www.rogallery.com/_RG-Images/Appel/Appel-The_Silver_Kiss.jpg

I'm no art historian, nor very familiar with Appel's work, but it seems to me he used a similar process for his paintings. Starting out with a rather random sketch or squiggle*, then squinting his eyes until he recognizes a familiar or meaningful shape or image in it, then painting the lines and colouring the areas to make this meaningful shape more apparent. Just like you did.

(* but made by hand, not a collection of randomly parametrized trig functions)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

I should get coding more generative graphics stuff, then.

I'll rummage through my old files too, I used to make loads of this stuff back in the days. Except back then I was more focused on complexity and technical skill. Like these things would be wayy too simple and boring, they should at least be moving, and in 3D, and more shiny and glitter :-P But then, I got a much better feel for simple techniques that make a design look good. I would have never came up making a rounded rectangle background as a canvas, and a lot of other tiny subtle design decisions that make for a polished look.

Roaring Biscuit!

could you make a sig sized version of this?  or would it not work as a signature?

Rococo Modem Basilisk

This is awesome.

I have a use for generative art that can be Lo5'd easily. If you write any more of these kinds of things, I'd be interested -- especially if you made a central site to load one of the generative art programs at random.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

NWC

I just tried that link with both Chrome and Firefox and it keeps telling me the link is broken.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Triple Zero

Quote from: Roaring Biscuit! on February 27, 2010, 07:24:18 PM
could you make a sig sized version of this?  or would it not work as a signature?

no the format is SVG, and you can't link those as signatures on forums, usually.

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on February 27, 2010, 08:14:44 PMThis is awesome.

I have a use for generative art that can be Lo5'd easily. If you write any more of these kinds of things, I'd be interested -- especially if you made a central site to load one of the generative art programs at random.

Thanks :) If I make more, I will certainly post them here. If you like, you can simply do "view source" (as SVG is just a dialect of XML) and check out the script that generates the path. It's just a bunch of sinus functions.

I did spend quite some time on cleverly tweaking the formulas and the random ranges for the parameters, though.

It's a pretty cool exercise in finding the balance between order and disorder, in fact :) If you clamp down the randomness on the parameters too much (order), you get images that all look alike. But on the other hand, if you allow a really big range on randomness (disorder), your images will simply look like chaotic sharpy scribbles, none of them equal, but they're all kind of the same in being a jumbled mess.

Quote from: NWC on February 27, 2010, 08:58:15 PM
I just tried that link with both Chrome and Firefox and it keeps telling me the link is broken.

Hm that sucks, how about this link, does it work for you? http://elvicities.com/~ananames/swirl.svg

Sir Squid Diddimus

All those links work in chrome and your doo dad is AWESOME

Triple Zero

Then possibly NWC is having a network problem with the tr.im URL shortener, in which case the direct elvicities link should work for him, hopefully.

Also, ENKI, in case you (or anyone) is interested, this is the formula used for the doodads:

this is the formula for one coordinate. for both x and y coords, the constants ai to fi are chosen randomly (see the source of the SVG for their ranges) and the path is drawn for phi from 0 to 2pi.

also i wanted to show off texify.com because it is awesome :-P you can write formulas in LaTeX and it gives you the forumcode to post! whee!

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 27, 2010, 10:30:39 PM
Then possibly NWC is having a network problem with the tr.im URL shortener, in which case the direct elvicities link should work for him, hopefully.

Also, ENKI, in case you (or anyone) is interested, this is the formula used for the doodads:

this is the formula for one coordinate. for both x and y coords, the constants ai to fi are chosen randomly (see the source of the SVG for their ranges) and the path is drawn for phi from 0 to 2pi.

also i wanted to show off texify.com because it is awesome :-P you can write formulas in LaTeX and it gives you the forumcode to post! whee!

Broken for me.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.