News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

(Warning: Fluff- personal stuff) Storebrand's career

Started by Storebrand, February 27, 2010, 08:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storebrand

Feel free to chime in if you have advice.

My shop is being dissolved so I have to figure out what I'm going to do for the rest of my enlistment since I'm losing my current position.  I can:

1.)  Go to which ever shop they send me to next and work a different mission (fingers are crossed for admin position) for a year and a half or so while saving up money. I'd be trying to fit in some college classes and randomly taking leave to decide where I want to go to college and live afterwards.

2.)  Go on the deployment I was already considering volunteering for and bank some money before getting out.  I'll still have time to fit in some college classes and travel.  The big plus with this one is I get to choose where I'm deploying to and there won't be enough time for them to send me on a surprise deployment afterwards.  This is a big deal since my deployment bin is 6 months long. 

3.)  Go to a military class for a year, but I'd have to extend my contract for 2 more years.  I'd have a better chance at getting a job I'd like but I could still end up in one I hate for 3 years.  I'd be getting more money every month, secure job during shit economy, opportunity to go for more free college.

4.)  Try to buy out the last two years of my contract.   :|  Surprisingly doable and I'd be happy but I'd have to go home where there aren't any good schools close by and jobs are scarce.

If I choose option #3 I have to turn in paperwork by the 3rd.  I think I'm going with #2.

Freeky

I suggest number 2, because it sounds like you're already leaning that direction.

East Coast Hustle

I'd say 2 or 3. I'd go with 3, but 2 seems reasonable as well.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'd probably go with 3 as well because it's a better long-term prospect, and 3 years isn't that long really.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I'd do 3. I'm assuming you're set up for the GI bill too.

rygD

I would go with 3, however if your sanity is at stake I would go with 2.  Depending on the amount of time you have left you may want to request a year deployment (I know a JTAC who is over for a year and he said he prefers it that way) which would give you more money, and you should be able to get in a few college courses while deployed.  I am not familiar with your reenlistment process, but if you decide to add a bit of extra time doing so while deployed should make the bonus tax free (so you get more money and more time to decide what to do long term, plus the college stuff).

Back to 3, I would avoid extending, as that is almost a reenlisment, but you get none of the extra stuff.  Education is always a plus, so no matter what route you take try to squeeze in as much as you can.

Keep 4 in mind, and if you still want benefits and a job you could look at AGR so you can be closer to the area you want to live.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

I'd go for 3 because you get to retire after only 20 years and you get half your base pay for the rest of your life. Not a bad retirement plan, provided you live long enough to retire.

Storebrand

Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 28, 2010, 05:05:29 PM
I'd do 3. I'm assuming you're set up for the GI bill too.
I am.  No matter what decision I make I get 4 years tuition, allowance for books, E-5 BAH, etc.  :D  So fucking happy about that. 
Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 28, 2010, 06:21:28 PM
I'd go for 3 because you get to retire after only 20 years and you get half your base pay for the rest of your life. Not a bad retirement plan, provided you live long enough to retire.
This IS pretty nice but I don't want to keep doing this job and they won't let me reclass.
Quote from: rygD on February 28, 2010, 05:52:00 PM
I would go with 3, however if your sanity is at stake I would go with 2.  Depending on the amount of time you have left you may want to request a year deployment (I know a JTAC who is over for a year and he said he prefers it that way) which would give you more money, and you should be able to get in a few college courses while deployed.  I am not familiar with your reenlistment process, but if you decide to add a bit of extra time doing so while deployed should make the bonus tax free (so you get more money and more time to decide what to do long term, plus the college stuff).

Back to 3, I would avoid extending, as that is almost a reenlisment, but you get none of the extra stuff.  Education is always a plus, so no matter what route you take try to squeeze in as much as you can.

Keep 4 in mind, and if you still want benefits and a job you could look at AGR so you can be closer to the area you want to live.

Sanity is a big issue.  I know me and I've seen what happened to some of my classmates who weren't so lucky when it came to job placement.  I wouldn't necessarily get one of those jobs but the prospect scares me a bit.
There aren't any year long deployments I want to volunteer for.  The deployment I'm looking at is only six months long but it's not uncommon to double up once you get out there.  This comes with a nice little bonus.
Extending and reenlisting are treated almost exactly the same including bonuses except there is a limit to the number of times you can extend.  The multiplier is determined by which zone I'm in.  Since I'm on a six year contract It would be better for me to extend by a year into zone B instead of taking the lower zone A multiplier for an entire reenlistment, assuming I even wanted to reenlist, and I don't. 
I hadn't considered ANG.  They do have a program in which you trade X number of years left on your active duty contract for X number of years in ANG.  I'll look into it on Monday.

Thanks

rygD

Quote from: StoreBrand on February 28, 2010, 08:40:41 PM
Sanity is a big issue.  I know me and I've seen what happened to some of my classmates who weren't so lucky when it came to job placement.  I wouldn't necessarily get one of those jobs but the prospect scares me a bit.
There aren't any year long deployments I want to volunteer for.  The deployment I'm looking at is only six months long but it's not uncommon to double up once you get out there.  This comes with a nice little bonus.
Extending and reenlisting are treated almost exactly the same including bonuses except there is a limit to the number of times you can extend.  The multiplier is determined by which zone I'm in.  Since I'm on a six year contract It would be better for me to extend by a year into zone B instead of taking the lower zone A multiplier for an entire reenlistment, assuming I even wanted to reenlist, and I don't. 
I hadn't considered ANG.  They do have a program in which you trade X number of years left on your active duty contract for X number of years in ANG.  I'll look into it on Monday.

Thanks

So you get extra money for doing a year deployment?  And for extending?  Fuck you and your Air Force.

If you want full benefits with ANG make sure you look into AGR (Active Guard/Reserve) as that counts as active duty, and for the Army I know it tends to be a lot less bullshit than regular active duty.  It is usually limited to certain jobs though (admin shit for us, maybe supply).  This will help you if you like the idea of some form of retirement check from the government at some point, even if not military.  (I just read something about Air Reserve Technicians, which is also "full time" and they work for the unit as civilians until their drill time comes up, so there is another idea.)

I keep forgetting about the new GI Bill, and that may be your best bet all around if you choose to completely separate from the AF.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Storebrand

I don't get extra money just for deploying for a year.  The money is for doubling up on a deployment.  I may be wrong about that one.  It may just be for certain deployments but I haven't talked to anyone who doubled up and didn't get a bonus.  I think it has to do with them not having to train someone else, pay to send you back, and send your replacement over.

Have you considered reserve while you study and then trying to become an officer after you get your degree?

Storebrand

I have no interest in going back in once I'm out.  I want to be an engineer.