News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

A Tool to Deceive and Slaughter

Started by LMNO, March 01, 2010, 04:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

If you plugged it in and it sold itself, there's no reason why you would have to ship it <_<

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on March 02, 2010, 08:39:45 PM
If you plugged it in and it sold itself, there's no reason why you would have to ship it <_<

It's in the purchase agreement.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

rong

i think he's from houghton (where i attended college drank copious amounts of beer)
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Bella

HFLS is too ill to get out of bed and post, so he asked me to say that if he bought it, he'd take a hammer and smash it. And at least that guy who glues diamonds onto skulls makes things you can keep!
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's concept art. What it does is part of the art! It doesn't even HAVE to sell. Being for auction is part of the art piece.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 04, 2010, 05:30:33 AM
It's concept art. What it does is part of the art! It doesn't even HAVE to sell. Being for auction is part of the art piece.

Agree.  I think that, even if it had no working components, the idea (or lie, call it what you will) would count as part of the exhibit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 04, 2010, 05:38:08 AM

Agree.  I think that, even if it had no working components, the idea (or lie, call it what you will) would count as part of the exhibit.

Absolutely.

Requia ☣

I think it doesn't, at least, it has no apparent power supply.  Without that any components would be rather useless.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 04, 2010, 05:49:44 AM

I think it doesn't, at least, it has no apparent power supply.  Without that any components would be rather useless.

That, yeah, but also look at the guy's other work.  Not what you would call challenging craftmanship.

Doesn't make the art less cool.  Just makes it less impressive to nerds.

Requia ☣

You can get power from a networking cable, more than enough for some smaller devices that are designed for it, but you need special equipment at the other end.

Also, the agreement says the software running the project is hosted elsewhere.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Liam Stoat on March 04, 2010, 06:02:26 AM
I thought about it for a while, and I just don't get it. OK, yeah, I can kinda understand the concept art thing, but, if I liked it, I'd want to buy it and keep it, like I do with all artworks I like, so I can look at em and shit. I'd not be happy to resell it at all like.

QuoteI think it doesn't, at least, it has no apparent power supply.

I dunno.

You can mooch power from a rs232 port, so I guess you could do the same thing with a network cable. My moneys on its a gutted Sheevaplug with mad powering if there is indeed any guts in the thing at all.

The art isn't the thing that's for sale, really. The thing that's for sale is one artistic element of the whole piece. When you looked at the auction and absorbed its purpose, you were looking at the completed art.

Art is kind of like trolling, really.

cavehamster

It's pretty cool, but I'd still make sure it was firewalled off from the rest of my network ;)

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 04, 2010, 06:51:31 AM

I'm actually not entirely clear, anymore, on the difference between art and trolling.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

LMNO

Triple Zero

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on March 04, 2010, 03:45:47 PM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 04, 2010, 06:51:31 AM

I'm actually not entirely clear, anymore, on the difference between art and trolling.

I tried finding a Non Sequitur cartoon by Wiley with the caption "Ned finally grasps the concept of performance art.", anyone?

Also, the used to call trolling "Usenet Performance Art", or UPA.

So yeah.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.