News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Please critique: Frost Heaves banner

Started by LMNO, March 08, 2010, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Juana

I'd change the background color to a light blue or green. Other than that, looks fine to me.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Triple Zero

it's a littlebit blurry and I recognize the weird font in the second line. which would not be so bad, except that it's a fairly unique font. as well as that the swirly curl bits of the 'n' and the 't' are repeating.

apart from that, I just think it's a bit boring.

there you wanted critique :)

positive note: I like the text
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Roaring Biscuit!

good fun in poor taste is pretty lulzy   :)

I think I prefer "Frost Heaves" to "The Frost Heaves", but that don't really matter.

Apart from that I pretty much agree with Trip, if you have some ideas imagery wise I could draw you something (for free an everything)

x

edd

Richter

Someone in marketing courss once told me how FAMOUS the "DAve Dinger For in Braintree...In Braintreeeeee." song was.  It clashed, it was dissonant, it cause pain that stuck with you

The combination of the sepia tone and the font in teh 2nd line is a bit pseudo victorian, and the first font screams TRON.  It's like someone steampunked an 80's electronica advert.  This clash affronts my headachy under- caffeinated state, but I have no doubt I'll remember this.

It works well, tweaking optional, IMHO.  
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

notathing

first off, gradients suck.  they'e boring and annoying.  and pretty much this whole banner is a big ugly gradient box with some blurry text.

the text should be bigger in relation to the entire size of the banner and sharper too.

LMNO

What's a gradient?

Also, fuzzy text due to horrible translations in graphic programs.

Original is sharper, promise.

Nast

A gradient's when one color blends into another.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

LMNO

Gotcha.

Lady Soul:  Willing to hear suggestions to pass on to those who created this thing.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

There's some visual competition between the name of the band and the slogan. One should clearly dominate—I'd suggest using the slogan as a headline.

I agree about the gradient, kill it. It doesn't really support the main idea because it's not tacky enough to read as "poor taste" and just looks like an afterthought.

Also, the space could be filled in a more dynamic way. Angling one line very approximately 10° might be more interesting. And finally, couldn't someone whip together some low-fi imagery to illustrate or suggest what kind of poor taste they're referring to? Or even a picture of the band/important band member?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

notathing

I would definitely make one of the lines of text the central focus, make it bigger in scale than the other.

either the band name or the slogan could be enlarged and it would work.  the slogan might be cooler. then the other bit of text would be kinda a little informative footnote explaining who's responsible for this good fun and poor taste.

I'd say make some really shitty and lewd WOMP and incorporate it into the banner. yeah.

no gradients, maybe some more special looking customized text would be good, the fonts for the two bits of text should be somewhat homogeneous.

if they have a logo maybe incorporate that.  if they don't have a logo, they should make one.

Pariah

I'm not a fan of the font on the second line.
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!