News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Looking fir salad recipes.

Started by Requia ☣, March 11, 2010, 11:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

In an effort to eat something remotely healthy that isn't steamed broccoli, I'd like to start making myself salads.

The thing is, pretty much all salad recipes I can find (except bizarre exotic things I'm not interested in) suck when you leave out tomato.,  and raw tomato tends to leave me doubled over in pain.

So, anyone here have any ideas?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Rumckle

Caesar Salad, though bacon and Caesar dressing isn't exactly healthy.

ETA:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=18015.msg652535#msg652535
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Richter

Stuff that's good in salad:
Lettuce - filler
spinach - full of iron, fiber and other good shit.  Use this a LOT.
Onion - if it's strong, cut it in half and let it sit in teh fridge to mellow for a day first.
cucumber
shedded carrot
green pepper.
canned tuna
cooked chicken (great way to  get rid of leftovers)
broccoli

hard boiled egg                             \
cheese (shredded or cubed)              >These three are less healthy bits.  Protein / calcium / fat if you need more of a MEAL though
Croutons                                     /
Bacon

Mix ideas
-citrus fruit + walnuts + sweet vinegar dressing on spinach
-tuna + a little mayo, over a bed of spinach + lettuce, lots of veggies, croutons, everything really.  You can make a serious meal of this.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

LMNO

I have a few salads lurking in the cooking with LMNO thread.  Only one has tomato, I think.

Bella

Here's one that makes a great meal all by itself.

Ingredients

Asparagus
fresh baby spinach
fresh or frozen peas
sliced almonds
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
cheese tortellini or mini cheese ravioli
fresh lemon juice
virgin olive oil

Preparation

Cook the pasta according to directions - I like it al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water until it cools.
Par boil the asparagus in barely simmering water for three minutes.  Drain and rinse with cold water.
Toss pea, almonds, spinach leave, pasta, and asparagus together in a large bowl.
Add olive oil and lemon juice to taste.
Grate cheese and add to the mix.
Salt and pepper if you like.

It's yummy.

just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Richter on March 11, 2010, 01:07:31 PM
Onion - if it's strong, cut it in half and let it sit in teh fridge to mellow for a day first.

Pretty sure this does the opposite?
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

maphdet

Ingredients:
2 quarts mixed salad greens
1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey or sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh blueberries, divided
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
a few grinds of pepper

Prep Notes:
Dress salad  just before serving:  spoon dressing over and scatter reserved blueberries on top

Instructions:
Mix together lime or lemon juice, honey and salt. Mash 1/2 cup blueberries into the juice and honey mixture. Stir in yogurt, pepper and oil. Taste for seasoning.

Oh and if you want a mild onion-Strawberry Onions are the way to go!!!

I usually just eat Romaine chopped/shredded real thin with finely chopped scallions-olive oil and vinegar for dressing-simple and yummy. Also the mixture of the scallions and romaine give it a cilantro kind of taste-so if you do not like cilantro do not use the scallions. (to make it hearty add what ever meat you have leftover-or beans)
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Bella

Quote from: EoC on March 12, 2010, 07:03:28 AM
One word:  Panzanella.

OMG.......that looks so good! Thank you. I'm always looking for salads that don't include lettuce because lettuce makes me very very sick.
just like in a dream

Triple Zero

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 12, 2010, 06:10:57 PM
Quote from: Richter on March 11, 2010, 01:07:31 PM

Pretty sure this does the opposite?

Chop it into tiny bits and soak it in lemon juice, is what I do to reduce the strongness.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Bella on March 12, 2010, 07:46:37 PM
Quote from: EoC on March 12, 2010, 07:03:28 AM
One word:  Panzanella.

OMG.......that looks so good! Thank you. I'm always looking for salads that don't include lettuce because lettuce makes me very very sick.

For those who won't google, I'll elaborate.  Pananella is made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, basil, and stale bread (peasant bread works well for this, or Italian semolina).  It varies hugely from there, but I like it with cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, parmesan, and black pepper.  Quality ingredients make a big difference.

I'll pretty much eat just that for a meal in late summer with tomatoes are garden ripe.  I'll also heat my apartment to 113 degrees to make the peasant bread to make it with.  Pan-za-fucking-nella.

Also, Requia, a fantastic salad can be made easily by just cooking and chopping up some beets, then tossing it with goat cheese and shredded cabbage.  I think vinegar can be used here, but I forget, and even if it can it's plenty flavorful without.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Bella

I'm so stoked, saw the images on google and decided to make this for lunch today - and we already had everything on hand.

But I'm not sure about the bread. We have thick sliced potato bread that's gone a bit stale. Do you think it will work all right? If not, I can run to the bakery.
just like in a dream

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Bella on March 12, 2010, 08:45:06 PM
I'm so stoked, we have everything we need to make this on hand.

But I'm not sure about the bread. We have thick sliced potato bread that's gone a bit stale. Do you think it will work all right? If not, I can run to the bakery.

Thick sliced is good, but I'm not that familiar with potato bread.  Is it prone to disintegrating when it absorbs liquid?  If so you could try either drying it out further in a low oven for a while or, yeah, go with the bakery option.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Bella

Bakery it is, then. Potato bread's a little crumbly.
just like in a dream

Eater of Clowns

Yeah, when I've made it the bread has been thick, so it absorbs but keeps its shape.  The oil/vinegar to bread ratio should leave the salad pretty dry (very little or no excess at the bottom) for having trapped it all in the chunks.

It tastes great leftover too, once all the flavors have melded.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.