Started by East Coast Hustle, March 12, 2010, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

ive never contributed and i sure as fuck wont start now!  :argh!:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: dimo on March 12, 2010, 10:16:35 PM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 12, 2010, 10:12:37 PM
Quote from: dimo on March 12, 2010, 09:35:31 PM
I came here to be active/learn how to be effective in action. The social aspect is a neccessary bi-product of that, and I don't think it can be avoided. If what you're planning goes through, I'll support it and participate, but I will not abandon this place in doing so.

the social aspect has always been present.

it has not, however, always been so overwhelmingly retarded.

Just so I can try to understand you better, what exactly do you see as the problem? Like I said, I'm willing to help and participate, but before I do I just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying properly.

I actually meant to not post in this thread after the OP until Roger had replied, so I'm gonna wait to say more until I get his take on it, either publicly or privately.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Dimocritus

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 12, 2010, 10:26:03 PM
Quote from: dimo on March 12, 2010, 10:16:35 PM
I came here to be active/learn how to be effective in action. The social aspect is a neccessary bi-product of that, and I don't think it can be avoided. If what you're planning goes through, I'll support it and participate, but I will not abandon this place in doing so.

Just so I can try to understand you better, what exactly do you see as the problem? Like I said, I'm willing to help and participate, but before I do I just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying properly.

I actually meant to not post in this thread after the OP until Roger had replied, so I'm gonna wait to say more until I get his take on it, either publicly or privately.

Ok.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Bella

Quote from: Fredamir Putin on March 12, 2010, 10:19:49 PM
ive never contributed and i sure as fuck wont start now!  :argh!:

Wrong...........I remember Noodle Fred for President. that's a contribution.

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 12, 2010, 10:10:38 PM
Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Liam Stoat on March 12, 2010, 09:42:50 PM
YEAH! LETS CLIMB IN THE IVORY TOWER AND SHIT ON THE PEASANTRY!

well. I did log in to make some constructive additions to my stuff here, and then I read this shite.

Laters, I'm out. All this 'certain kind of people' & 'our program' shit can go fuck off. tata. I'm offskis, count all my projects here on indefinite hold fo the duration.

Roger, you have our phone number, you are welcome to call us at any time mate :D Same goes for you Jenne.

Anyone else, you'll find me on facebook under my real fake name 'keith rolly'

umm, this IS the ivory tower. always has been. I hope you weren't laboring under a misimpression this whole time, but PD.com was never intended to be for everyone and anyone. You have one of the highest signal-to-noise ratios of any poster I've ever seen, so I'm not sure what your complaint is but I'd be happy to address it in any way that I can.

Too late. He's logged out and says he's not coming back. I'm probably not either. I thought an elitist attitude was the reason we all trolled the fuck out of MW and TCC in the first place? The phrase "certain kinds of people" is the very reason I left here in the first place four years ago, so I guess it's time to mosey on out again.

Bella,

Knows for sure she's not that certain kind of person you're looking for.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I kinda feel like HFLS.

During times of intense stress people usually have little energy for anything much beyond socializing and complaining, and this past few months has been a very trying one for many people here. The economy is shitting the bed in a massive way, most of us are unemployed or underemployed and have little spare energy for "action", or even for writing. I have essays I'd like to write, but I sit down and I can't. Can't fucking do it. Can barely stay awake, actually.

I've been online for about 20 years, and I've noticed that shit always gets stifling and people always seem to have more conflicts in February and March. Cabin fever, I think. Made worse this year by economic stress. Raise your hand if you are absolutely confident you'll have a roof over your head in six months...

I don't want to be part of an elite group, really.

That said, one of the things that I initially liked about this board is that it will fuck you up. It's not nice, it's not pineal, and people will call you on inanity... and then hold no hard feelings about it afterward. It's been soft lately, for sure. Maybe because of the winter, or maybe because we're all too tired and stressed to dish out the rafts of shit we used to. But I don't think that's either anything permanent, nor is it a hand that can be forced. It will change. When everyone isn't tired, stressed, or ill.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Bella on March 12, 2010, 10:34:23 PM
Quote from: Fredamir Putin on March 12, 2010, 10:19:49 PM
ive never contributed and i sure as fuck wont start now!  :argh!:

Wrong...........I remember Noodle Fred for President. that's a contribution.

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 12, 2010, 10:10:38 PM
Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Liam Stoat on March 12, 2010, 09:42:50 PM
YEAH! LETS CLIMB IN THE IVORY TOWER AND SHIT ON THE PEASANTRY!

well. I did log in to make some constructive additions to my stuff here, and then I read this shite.

Laters, I'm out. All this 'certain kind of people' & 'our program' shit can go fuck off. tata. I'm offskis, count all my projects here on indefinite hold fo the duration.

Roger, you have our phone number, you are welcome to call us at any time mate :D Same goes for you Jenne.

Anyone else, you'll find me on facebook under my real fake name 'keith rolly'

umm, this IS the ivory tower. always has been. I hope you weren't laboring under a misimpression this whole time, but PD.com was never intended to be for everyone and anyone. You have one of the highest signal-to-noise ratios of any poster I've ever seen, so I'm not sure what your complaint is but I'd be happy to address it in any way that I can.

Too late. He's logged out and says he's not coming back. I'm probably not either. I thought an elitist attitude was the reason we all trolled the fuck out of MW and TCC in the first place? The phrase "certain kinds of people" is the very reason I left here in the first place four years ago, so I guess it's time to mosey on out again.

Bella,

Knows for sure she's not that certain kind of person you're looking for.

Maybe not, but I think the rest of us would like to see you both stick around.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 12, 2010, 08:24:38 PM
Any and all ideas I had about restraining our impulses and being nice to people because as long as we got them to stick around here, they'd eventually smarten up and we wouldn't want so badly to choke them with toothpicks?

I was wrong. WAY wrong. Not only was I wrong, but my wrongness has jeopardized everything that once made this site special. PD.com is now just barely better than Mysticwicks/The Cellar/TCC/etc. Alot of people might not agree with that, but in my mind that's just one more glaring symptom of the problem. I am guilty of trying to impose massed-infantry tactics on what is clearly an arena suited for 5GW, and it worked in all the wrong ways, and I apologize for that. I don't know what to do about it, or if there's even anything effective that CAN be done about it, but I know one thing, and that is that I am absolutely through being nice to people just because they're here. We raised this place from the rubble with the intent of it becoming a hangout/resource/network for a certain kind of person, and there are too many people here who aren't interested in our program. Most of them probably don't even know we HAVE a program, and again, I take the blame for that. It may be too late to shove the toothpaste back in the tube, but it may not be too late to switch to brushing with lye. In short, I think we need to re-start the other site, and remind ourselves that no matter how far the screaming yahoos have penetrated into our inner sanctum, once we have found our resolve they will never be able to dig deep enough or fun far enough. In any such endeavor I will, of course, need Commander Ringmeat at my side, "inspiring" the troops in the usual way. This place may have run its course in terms of usefulness, but the ideas that started it are still good ones and I don't want to abandon them just yet. I have a little over a month to make plans before I thrust myself into another cross-country adventure, and I'd like to arm myself to the teeth (metaphorically speaking) before I go. I can't go "lone wolf", because anything with "wolf" in it is sucky, but I am sick to death of being the admin of "Facebook for Weirdos".

So...are you in?

Um, not sure I understand the problem.  The board has no more fluff on it than it ever did, and some damn good writing has been done over the last 6 months or so.  If anything, we just need to move threads once in a while, keep the fluff in Apple Talk.

If you need to take a break, take a break.  Board'll still be here when you get back.

Oh, and one last thing:  The fluff is the best defense we have.  The fact that many of us missed a classic prank in GASM is proof enough that our protective coating of Livejournal is working.
Molon Lube

Dimocritus

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Doktor Howl

Actually, it's always been retarded, and usually a lot worse than this.

There was 4 years of STABBITY STABBITY PIE PIE PIE TEQUILA FACE RAPING BATS everywhere on the board.  Now there's a few "me" threads in apple talk...Which LMNO, Richter, and I have had fun adding weirdness to, in a reverse psycho letter thing.

Like I said, as long as the livejournal stuff stays in Apple Talk, I'm happy.
Molon Lube

Dr. Paes

I am absolutely through being nice to people just because they're here.
Fair enough.

I think we need to re-start the other site, and remind ourselves that no matter how far the screaming yahoos have penetrated into our inner sanctum, once we have found our resolve they will never be able to dig deep enough or fun far enough.
This sounds an awful lot like "retreat to the sooper-sekrit elitist forum. Do you mean this one http://www.principiadiscordia.com/secretforums ?

I am sick to death of being the admin of "Facebook for Weirdos".
OH. WELL, THEN STOP.
Do you want this to be less of a community?
Or just a community of a different kind of person?

So...are you in?
Is the fluff overpowering the actual content?
I can definitely get behind any plan you have to cut the fluff and "inspire the troops" to be more creative... but it sounds like there's a right way and a wrong way for them to do that?
Do you mind if in your efforts to do this you lose members who are capable of producing quality content, but not fond of your "certain type of person" attitude?

Could you give a description of the forum you want to be running and how it differs from this one, so we have some idea what is expected of us?

Also, everything Dok Howl said.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Fuck I hope HFLS and Bella don't flounce too long.

Nigel made some coherent points about it being a long cold hard bitch of a winter.

I have a home I can't even live in at the moment, even though the rent gets paid and just right now my dad's place is feeling so tense its like I'm lost in the madness of myself and the monkeys around me.

Scousespag, Roger, Kai, Nigel, SPS and naturally, Payne amongst others that don't pop to the surface of my head right now have been a support network that has been indespensible, I thank fuck I have this phone that means I can access the boards, which I can afford to keep up, and am not stuck without some kind of exit from a situation that needs time to get fixed. This seems to be time I need accelerated.

The elitist bullshit is just bullshit wherever it resides.

Lmno has the correct motorcycle here. Shit or get off the pot. If there is a problem as you or anyone here sees it bitching about it is countreproductive. Be part of the solution.

Kai

And here I just wrote an "I love you" thread right before seeing this. Now that I've thought for a few minutes, here's my take.

So WHAT if it's like livejournal. It's freaking APPLE TALK. People won't be forced into making good content.

What I see more as the truth is this: When some people go out of their way to make good content, the rest of us quickly follow in inspiration. The letters are a prime example of this. Prime example. Someone leads and the rest follows. All it takes is one person.

So....I guess complaining about the lack of content is counterproductive. Making one good thread with content and getting other people to participate (IOW, like the Letters) is successful.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Wizard

I'm not really sure whether I would classify as one of EHC's ideal PD'ers. I mean, hell, I haven't even been here an entire year and I haven't really contributed much in the way of good writing. But for what it's worth, HFLS is right. This is elitism if I ever saw it. I hope this doesn't go through, because I really like it here, but if it does then I'm gone. Fluff isn't the only sign that a forum's gone downhill.
Insanity we trust.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on March 13, 2010, 12:05:47 AM
I'm not really sure whether I would classify as one of EHC's ideal PD'ers. I mean, hell, I haven't even been here an entire year and I haven't really contributed much in the way of good writing. But for what it's worth, HFLS is right. This is elitism if I ever saw it. I hope this doesn't go through, because I really like it here, but if it does then I'm gone. Fluff isn't the only sign that a forum's gone downhill.

The forum hasn't gone downhill.  There is, over the last 2 years, more content than there ever has been here.

Trust me.

You want to see what this forum looked like in 2003/2004?  Go here:  hxxp://wicca.com/forums/index.php?board=10.0

And not everyone's a writer, you know?  Hell, I've gotten more enjoyment out of WOMPs than reading, most times.  From each according to their abilities, to each according to the lulz.

Molon Lube

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I kinda see where Hustle is coming from. There's been a lot of stupid shit posted here and yes, there has always been stupid shit but we never seem to call anyone on it anymore. Maybe we're just mellowing with age.

Yeah, I post stupid shit but I'm just in this for the entertainment.

TTM,
doesn't have a TV.