News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

Roger, it turns out you were right all along

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 12, 2010, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 13, 2010, 12:17:10 AMFrom each according to their abilities, to each according to the lulz.

Newsfeed.

NEWS FUCKING FEED.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on March 13, 2010, 12:20:18 AM
I kinda see where Hustle is coming from. There's been a lot of stupid shit posted here and yes, there has always been stupid shit but we never seem to call anyone on it anymore. Maybe we're just mellowing with age.

Yeah, I post stupid shit but I'm just in this for the entertainment.

TTM,
doesn't have a TV.

Or maybe we're just not as prone to order the tide out.  If I get one good post to read per 20 posts made, I'm happy.

Dok,
Saves the King Canute act for the fucking monsoon season.
Molon Lube

The Wizard

QuoteThe forum hasn't gone downhill.  There is, over the last 2 years, more content than there ever has been here.

Trust me.

You want to see what this forum looked like in 2003/2004?  Go here:  hxxp://wicca.com/forums/index.php?board=10.0

And not everyone's a writer, you know?  Hell, I've gotten more enjoyment out of WOMPs than reading, most times.  From each according to their abilities, to each according to the lulz.

I'll take you word for it. Maybe I should post some of my fiction, it's about the only good shit I turn out.

Thanks, Dok. Appreciated.
Insanity we trust.

Doktor Howl

Here's the thing:  I bitched a LOT about fluff in the past, because I didn't understand that boards that don't allow fluff invariably dry up and blow away.

Deal is, most people can't be serious all the time, and who the hell wants that anyway?

Apple talk quarantines that, and I think getting rid of the bodega thread was counterproductive.  I mean, I get as pissed as the next guy when someone spags up OKM with fluff, or Techmology, etc, but Apple Talk exists so that people have a place to spew nonsense.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on March 13, 2010, 12:24:56 AM
QuoteThe forum hasn't gone downhill.  There is, over the last 2 years, more content than there ever has been here.

Trust me.

You want to see what this forum looked like in 2003/2004?  Go here:  hxxp://wicca.com/forums/index.php?board=10.0

And not everyone's a writer, you know?  Hell, I've gotten more enjoyment out of WOMPs than reading, most times.  From each according to their abilities, to each according to the lulz.

I'll take you word for it. Maybe I should post some of my fiction, it's about the only good shit I turn out.

Thanks, Dok. Appreciated.

I never post original shit at new forums.  Why?  Because I don't have any connection with them, so I cut & paste old shit, with a bit of editing.  Fluff builds connections between users.  People tend to write better content for people they feel a connection with.

No fluff = no content.

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What Dok said! In addition to that, I see fluff as a processing ground. It's not just fluff... it's raw material. Writers write, and fluff is part of that. Writing meaningless nothingness every day, until ideas coalesce out of it and are turned into essays or short stories or poetry.

I like having categories for fluff. For instance, my stupid love life is, clearly, a fluff concentration camp. However, almost all of my really good material comes directly from my stupid love life. If I wasn't churning it out and processing it here, I'd be doing it somewhere else, and it's not likely that I'd come back here to post the end results of all that processing.

Plus I Got Depression could have been a good raw material/processing/idea repository. Sure, it's random bitching, but over time patterns appear, and patterns lead to ideas, and ideas lead to... content. If you want content you have to put up with the fluff that surrounds and feeds into content. If you want content you have to encourage it. If you want content you have to write it. You cannot get content by discouraging posting. That simply leads to a dead board.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Hmm, so then...bullshit makes the flowers grow?  And that's beautiful?

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Dr. Paes

Quote from: EoC on March 13, 2010, 12:53:29 AM
Hmm, so then...bullshit makes the flowers grow?  And that's beautiful?
:|

:lol:
This.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on March 13, 2010, 12:54:06 AM
Heh, you remind me of The Wisdom Cube.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?  Also, habitually or just in this instance?

But seriously, I'd never considered the angle of fluff leading into content.  I like the concept and I can see how it would work.

ETA:  "The Wisdom Cube claims to hold all the known knowledge in the universe, but it seems he only possesses a knack for tiresome anecdotes."

Disregard previous questions I guess.  And fuck yourself.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

The Wizard

QuoteNo fluff = no content.

Very true. I'll try to keep that in mind. This place always manages to surprise me.
Insanity we trust.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: EoC on March 13, 2010, 01:06:24 AM

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?  Also, habitually or just in this instance?

But seriously, I'd never considered the angle of fluff leading into content.  I like the concept and I can see how it would work.

ETA:  "The Wisdom Cube claims to hold all the known knowledge in the universe, but it seems he only possesses a knack for tiresome anecdotes."

Heeeeeeeeere we go!
\
Molon Lube

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: EoC on March 13, 2010, 01:06:24 AM

:lulz:

More specifically, he quotes bumper stickers.

BADGE OF HONOR

Going back to SERIOUSPOST, awesome as The Wisdom Cube may be.

ECH, you seem to think that my frequent flouncing is some sort of character flaw, instead of examining exactly why I do it.  I do it for my mental health.  I am a human being, and to be human is to be social and sensitive to social environments.  Every time the drama and infighting get to be too much, I start getting irritable and surly and my depression flares up and it affects all of my relationships, irl included.  So I flounce.  Maybe I'm just a delicate flower, but I have to avoid negativity as much as possible or I will go crazy.  If it's Discordian to enjoy watching your friends turn ugly on each other, well, I never really identified as one anyway.  So yes, I am pro-fluff, and maybe you should think about taking a break if people being happy and productive sets your nerves on edge.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If people put as much energy into writing content or creating cool projects as they do into railing against fluff, the signal/noise ratio would go way up.

Just sayin'.

And I'm not exempting myself from that, either. I've leveled my share of snarky comments against fluff threads. Not to mention threads I hate.

Mostly I'm not entirely serious though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."