News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

HOW IS BRAIN FORMED? AKA Pixie's neurology/psychology/psychiatry research dump.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, March 15, 2010, 02:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

basically when I have really real net access and have found some interesting neurology research/talks imma post em here for easy access.

add moar if you want, or not.

I have found basic research to be personally helpful with the crazy thing in giving me bizarre ways to get my brain not to hear voices by using certain stimuli. other sp[ags may just find interesting neurology related stuffs and post..

My friend showed me this talk by a neuroscience lady, she goes a bit happy hippy but its basically the first hand experinece of someone having a stroke. http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

[Edited name of topic  for broader spectrum of research and related stuffs]

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Cain on March 11, 2010, 05:37:35 PM
http://www.journalsleep.org/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=27726

Basically, this guy's brain does not produce very much serotonin, due to a genetic defect.  Yet, he isn't depressed.

There is a more thorough writeup here http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.com/2010/03/life-without-serotonin.html

just collating stuff into one place.

Pope Pixie Pickle

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/vilayanur_ramachandran_on_your_mind.html

this talk discusses with different brain functions and what happens when damage occurs resulting in delusions/ abnormalities.

he also takes the piss out of Freud, talks about phantom limbs, a peculiar delusion in brain damaged patients and synaesthesia.

gets 1x :lulz: and a :mittens: from me.

Richter

You might enjoy textbooks on Neuroanatomy or psychotropics in therapy.  Basically a laundry list of "An injury here does X", or "Drug Y does Z, with side effects of ABC, and influence on conditions DEF."  They're fun.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Pope Pixie Pickle

cool I have some spare cash ATM and that's the angle I'm going for when it comes to my research.

Also more research on Dyslexia and how that works in a neuroanatomy sense is where I want to go next as seeing as my brain is wired differently to start with I want to see how this can co-exist and act as a variable with my mental illness.

Richter

Serious time at a university library might work best.  They should have copies of the text.  If they're like USA Uni. libraries too, you can usually just walk in and read, you just can't check anything out. 
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Pope Pixie Pickle

Well I probably could if I went with a student or I could check out the local library in the city centre here as it has quite the chunky reference section. Also maybe buying some second hand textbooks could be a plan.

Richter

My old uni's bookstore had a bin outside for "Zero value" textbooks.  (Ones that the store would not buy back due to new editions being printed.  The fuckers then sell them off.) 

IF you can find a UK occurence of this, they can hardly bitch if you sift through for a couple.  (R, has done this for extra books, or just when he needed blocky items to jack his bed another foot off the floor.)

Jasper

<3 Dr. Ramachandran.  I've got one of his books, and another one coming in the mail.  He's my favorite.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Yeah, Ramachandran is the shit.

And now a interesting bit of theory which has just been bolstered by evidence, how our brains are like piles of sand:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227141.200-disorderly-genius-how-chaos-drives-the-brain.html?full=true
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Jasper

DISCORDIA VINDICATED:  "Disorder is essential to the brain's ability to transmit information and solve problems"

Pope Pixie Pickle

The sections of the article with the theory about schitzophrenia and how epileptic fits are formed are really interesting and so imma give Net some :mittens:

I need to look at it again when I have access to a real pc for the video and diagrams that my phone will not support but I am pleased with the direction this thread is going.

Thanks.

LMNO

So, are you mainly looking for source material on how the physical brain functions, or more on how the mind constructs basic patterns of thought, or how we meta-process those basic patterns?

I'd suggest looking into the work of the famous neurologist and writer, Oliver Sacks. He's written a number of books, which are all very interesting, and you can find a number of videos of him speaking on neurology on youtube. I'm pretty sure he's the character basis for Prof. Raleigh St. Clair in the Royal Tenenbaums.

Anyway his books are fascinating, and fun reads, so I strongly suggest you check that out.

Pope Pixie Pickle

LMNO I'm looking for material on what parts of the brain do what, how abnormalities and damage cause issues.

Also various psychosis and epilepsy articles are of personal interest, for myself and my family as well as research on drugs of different kinds, legal and illicit,  also effects on the brain, although I'm not interested in drug reports that do not come from human tests as our complex brains do not respond like rats.

Currently I am attempting to find information on how the neuroanatomy of dyslexia differs from the standard, but general psychiatry and psychology threads on
PD I shall be linking into this one if the thread starter wants a seperate discussion or a discussion here warrants a fread split. 

I'm going at all of this with a broad spectrum view of how the big grey organ behind the eyes and between the ears does its stuff.