News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

The Long View

Started by Jasper, March 29, 2010, 06:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I think a lot about where we came from.  We all come from a very long line of organisms that have, by various means and methods, gotten their shit together at some point, at least long enough to make more of themselves.  Many of my ancestors were mutated in some way, if not most of them.  They were all lucky enough to have the right kind of mutations.  I don't have any pronounced mutations that you can see without a gene sequencer, but isn't every gene essentially an institutionalized version of some earlier mutation?  In a way we're each a culmination of untold billions of mutations.   That's kind of cool, huh?

Reginald Ret

"We are all stupendous badasses" ITT
Yeah, very cool.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

Actually, my ancestors were the mutations. I am the original, the culmination. They WISH. HA!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

I am planning to fix this.  I want to give it less of a 'stupendous badass' spin, and more of a 'demented Carl Sagan' feel.

BadBeast

When you think of the implications of this, and the billions of permutations that have already taken place, it
completely blows you away. In all those permutations, there may well have been a few people born, with an immortality gene, who just haven't died yet. (And are keeping quiet about it) And also that we are all at the pinnacle of evolutionary development. Even the recessive genes that we think are detrimental, when they are mixed with a certain other gene, might create an evolutionary jump forwards. And if we learned to resequence our own genetic patterns, think of the fun! How difficult can it be? After all, it's only numbers, and not that many of them!
On second thoughts, I may have got carried away, it does seem quite difficult, but surely not impossible?
Ok, it seems impossible, but so did flying, or going to the moon, not so long ago.     
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Jasper

Quote from: BadBeast on March 30, 2010, 03:25:02 AMAnd also that we are all at the pinnacle of evolutionary development.

Actually, I find that to be the depressing part.

BadBeast

Actually, I find that to be the depressing part.
[/quote]

But we are the cutting edge of carbon based life, the Jewel in the Crown of creation, and something  every other life form (including those aliens who do things to our bottoms, with probes) can only aspire to!
                                         **tongue planted firmly in cheek**
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Jasper

Yeah, I agree.  We're the most dangerous, intelligent life form Earth has to offer.  Granted, we're not bad.  But it doesn't take an imaginative person to see that we have our drawbacks.

BadBeast

Quote from: Sigmatic   But it doesn't take an imaginative person to see that we have our drawbacks.
/quote]

Then it's probably just as well that truly imaginative people are a bit thin on the ground. After all, the whole
of creation, all it ever contained, (and a good many things it didn't) can just about fit into one healthy imagination, and still leave room to fantasize about sexytime with the Pussycat Dolls, and Rhianna wrestling in a skip full of lime jelly. (How is that a drawback?)