News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Thai blood protests

Started by NWC, March 17, 2010, 05:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWC

So a bunch(tens and tens of thousands) of Thai protesters are having their blood drawn and then put into little plastic bags so that they can throw blood at government buildings. Apparently they don't like the prime minister/dictator-as-they-call-him dude.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g3j-vAVG1fg3kEfnogTiH8_4EXvwD9EGD4980

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/03/17/thailand.protests/

What do you guys think? I'm fascinated. And if so many people are doing this, there's probably something amiss. They say they're drawing around 1000 liters a day. That's enough to feed an average vampire family for a year!
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Cain

The Thai people are pretty good at protesting, it must be said.  Certainly much better than the wet blankets in most of Europe (France and Greece excluded) and north America, who think an orderly little march with some well designed banners will stop what are, essentially, psychopaths, from doing what they want to do.

However, they should totally shut down the airport again this summer.  Tourist money is the lifeblood (lol, blood) of the country, and it'll really hurt the government where they feel it - in their budgets.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 17, 2010, 05:19:18 PM
The Thai people are pretty good at protesting, it must be said.  Certainly much better than the wet blankets in most of Europe (France and Greece excluded) and north America, who think an orderly little march with some well designed banners will stop what are, essentially, psychopaths, from doing what they want to do.

THIS IS THE FUCKING CORRECT MOTORCYCLE.

Nobody in the Western hemisphere knows how to properly flip the fuck out anymore.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That is FABULOUS and disgusting!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

NICE.  GO SIAM.  That place has been fucked up for a while...I mean, long while.

If we tried this here in the US, they'd call the fucking CDC down on us for "assault with a deadly weapon."  Har.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on March 17, 2010, 05:30:38 PM
NICE.  GO SIAM.  That place has been fucked up for a while...I mean, long while.

If we tried this here in the US, they'd call the fucking CDC down on us for "assault with a deadly weapon."  Har.

Oh, yeah.  You'd be up on bioterrorism charges so fast your head would spin.
Molon Lube

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 17, 2010, 05:31:27 PM

I believe there has been conviction of AIDS patients who've thrown their blood in protest of just this same thing in the US...

Richter

Europe - people protest religious oppression, get burned at the stake.

Asia - people protest religious oppression by burning THMESELVES.

If that ain't hardcore, I don't know what is.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Elder Iptuous

So, does their gov't care, or do they secretly think it's funny that their opposition is slowly weakening themselves physically in protest.
i mean, how long will it be before they can simply haul off the passed out pissed off with little to no effort/resistance?

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 17, 2010, 05:24:32 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 17, 2010, 05:19:18 PM

THIS IS THE FUCKING CORRECT MOTORCYCLE.

Nobody in the Western hemisphere knows how to properly flip the fuck out anymore.

I suspect protestors in the western world actually fear a politician listening to them.  That would mean they'd have some responsibility for what happened next, and its much easier to simply whine from the sidelines than to actually attempt something.  Plus, you know, riot police look scary, and what if a picture of them out protesting vigorously was put on TV?

Cain

Quote from: Iptuous on March 17, 2010, 05:36:57 PM
So, does their gov't care, or do they secretly think it's funny that their opposition is slowly weakening themselves physically in protest.
i mean, how long will it be before they can simply haul off the passed out pissed off with little to no effort/resistance?

These guys have shut down the capital before, putting up checkpoints and invading government offices, and shut down the airport previously (costing the country millions in lost revenue), so chances are they are taken at least semi-seriously, if not so much in this particular case.

I think this is meant to be an awareness-raising activity though, anyway.  Something to get the international press paying attention, before they start the next round of srs bizness protests.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on March 17, 2010, 05:33:44 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 17, 2010, 05:31:27 PM

I believe there has been conviction of AIDS patients who've thrown their blood in protest of just this same thing in the US...

I've heard that, but never seen an actual news report.  I assumed it was urban legend.  The funny part here is that Thailand has a huge HIV positive population, so basically, they're throwing hundreds of gallons of AIDS-infected blood at their government.

Which is something that should be done here.  I'd settle for flung poop, to be honest.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I don't think they're actually going to exsanguinate themselves, Ippie.  Half a pint won't even slow you down.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 17, 2010, 05:37:33 PM
I suspect protestors in the western world actually fear a politician listening to them.  That would mean they'd have some responsibility for what happened next, and its much easier to simply whine from the sidelines than to actually attempt something.  Plus, you know, riot police look scary, and what if a picture of them out protesting vigorously was put on TV?

Too true.  You can't even get the fuckers to vote.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cain on March 17, 2010, 05:39:51 PM

These guys have shut down the capital before, putting up checkpoints and invading government offices, and shut down the airport previously (costing the country millions in lost revenue), so chances are they are taken at least semi-seriously, if not so much in this particular case.

I think this is meant to be an awareness-raising activity though, anyway.  Something to get the international press paying attention, before they start the next round of srs bizness protests.

yeah, but they weren't bleeding themselves out previously, were they?
i mean, how effective is someone going to be at invading offices or blocking passage when they're all missing several pints of blood? lol

i understand it's just a stunt, and they aren't planning on bleeding themselves out indefinitely unless they get what they want, but it just struck me as kinda funny.  same as the self immolation thing, but with less aghast.