News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Free Will

Started by Placid Dingo, March 19, 2010, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on March 22, 2010, 06:23:44 PM
I think a much more interesting question is:

DO PEOPLE MAKE EASILY PREDICTABLE DECISIONS?

BETTER QUESTION:  WHEN WILL DOK STOP POOMPING?

Hey, it beats the mental fappery in this fread.
Molon Lube

Richter

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on March 21, 2010, 10:05:46 PM
Quote from: Kai on March 21, 2010, 08:35:01 PM
I think there is something missing from this though.

The thing that's missing is the IMPLICATIONS either way. What does it MEAN? How does it effect my life?

For me, lack of free will seems like a strong argument for wu-wei.

for me, wu-wei seems like a complicated way of saying "Don't sweat it."
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

Quote from: Kai on March 23, 2010, 01:10:12 AM
WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS FUCKING USELESS MEANINGLESS CONCEPT??

No one in this thread has seriously explained to me the concept of free will and why it is meaningful. IT DOESN'T MEAN A DAMN THING! IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE!

:argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :crankey: :crankey: :crankey:

the presence or absence of free will impacts the degree of responsibility we have for all this

I think I am giving up on having rational discussions about stuff on this board because these threads get so emotional or judgmental at the drop of a hat

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cramulus on March 23, 2010, 01:16:43 PM

the presence or absence of free will impacts the degree of responsibility we have for all this

does it?
:?

i mean, i know what you're saying, but...  it seems to me that, just like the practical aspects of our lives are pretty well insulated from the question of whether or not we have free will, the degree of responsibility we bear for our actions is also unaffected by any implications of it.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: MMIX on March 23, 2010, 01:04:51 AM
PS why do so many of you seem to think that "smaller" decisions are more amenable to "free-will" than "big picture" decisions . . .

That's where this started; The idea that if we look at free will there are small things which as far as we are concerned we have free will in every practical sense (Eg, the conscious choice to ignore this thread or return to it to piss and moan). But then there's things that we have difficulty finding the ability to do becauser of our worldview/upbringing, whatever. For instance, a hetrosexual man, to sipmly choose to leave his wife for a gay lover, is not going to simply 'happen' if he hasn't the original inclination. Or a peaceful coward won't go on a killing spree, if you prefer. So there's degrees, really was the point.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Kai

No one in this thread has seriously explained to me the concept of free will and why it is meaningful. IT DOESN'T MEAN A DAMN THING! IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE!

:argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :crankey: :crankey: :crankey:

No, no it doesn't.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cramulus

while I'd like to respond to your well crafted point, I have better things to do than get screeched at

Elder Iptuous

what'm I, chopped liver?   :cry:
:lol:

Kai

Quote from: Cramulus on March 23, 2010, 01:56:28 PM
while I'd like to respond to your well crafted point, I have better things to do than get screeched at

:lulz: I think it's funny you think I'm screeching.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

ITS BECAUSE I HAVE NO SELF DETERMINATION, OKAY?!!!

:cry:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 23, 2010, 02:11:50 PM
ITS BECAUSE I HAVE NO SELF DETERMINATION, OKAY?!!!

:cry:

I'm still holding you responsible.  :evilmad:

MMIX

Quote from: Kai on March 23, 2010, 02:04:32 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on March 23, 2010, 01:56:28 PM

:lulz: I think it's funny you think I'm screeching.

Your post sounds like your screeching and  you obviously don't want to discuss why some of us feel that the classic free-will v :fnord: s predestination debate is still significant . . .  that would be because it underpins centuries of MEMESTM on which our contemporary values, beliefs, views etc etc depend. It is your history and probably in the medium term its your future. You don't like it - tough

but that's just how my programming works YMObviouslyD . . .

@Cram Yes!

@Iptuous I hear you man
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on March 22, 2010, 08:08:53 PM
I think that if you were to rewind this weekend, events would play out exactly like they did the first time, including your choice of flavor. Furthermore if you rewound your life until infancy and played it again, with the same exact set of stimuli and sequence of events, you'd produce the exact same person you are today.

Did you just say, "If things happened exactly the same as before, then things would happen exactly the same as before?"

CIRCULARREASONINGWORKSBECAUSECIRCULARREASONINGWORKSBECAUSECIRCULARREASONINGWORKSBECAUSECIRCULARREASONINGWORKSBECAUSECIRCULARREASONINGWORKSBECAUSECIRCULARREASONINGWORKSBECAUSECIRCULARREASONINGWORKS.

Enrico Salazar

I think I am giving up on having rational discussions about stuff on this board because these threads get so emotional or judgmental at the drop of a hat

Did someone say gorgeous?

Doktor Howl

Cram has a point.  If you're a determinist, it means you're just trying to duck out on responsibility.

Some here may view themselves as automatons just playing out a predetermined role.  That's pretty fucking sad, and no way for a biped to live.
Molon Lube