News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

Think Pieces

Started by MMIX, March 19, 2010, 06:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Gorgeous.

What's the medium?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

MMIX

Encaustic. Kind of like wax crayons for adults - smear it on with a hot iron . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's really nice. Reminds me of Wyoming in summertime.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MMIX

Its a great medium for evoking. Pretty shit hot for portraiture too but I haven't found/constructed the right surface to work yet. Its the medium they used for the Fayuum mummy portraits in Egypt.

Freeky

MMIX

I've been calling this one Kai time . That's because I've started calling my dog walking time Kai time because of that post about letting go of the irrelevant detail and really thinking on a regular basis.

I enjoy this one because its green and layered and complex and repays deeper attention

Freeky

It looks like Tucson's mountain ranges seen from above. Except with, you know, PRETTY COLORS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I see trees during an ice storm.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MMIX

I love to know what other people see - its  exciting in the 'woah shit now I've got four eyes' kind of way . . .

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

These are fucking outstanding.

The second one looks like ice crystals that form on windows, and also mountains from above like Freeky said.

For the third one, I see an ant in the top left as the main magenta area (looking at the viewer, even), and the rest of it is some sort of dead creature that the ant is eating.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

MMIX

Thanks, and yes, I can see the ant now. I love new interpretations, they give me that gut thrill like you get in the moment when a visual illusion "tips over" and you can actually watch as your world gets re-interpreted right in front of your eyes.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Professor Freeky on March 19, 2010, 08:13:24 PM
It looks like Tucson's mountain ranges seen from above. Except with, you know, PRETTY COLORS.
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 19, 2010, 11:32:27 PM

I see seaweed.  And people trapped inside of it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: EoC on March 20, 2010, 02:47:07 AM

That's creepy.  :x

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 20, 2010, 03:25:07 AM
Quote from: EoC on March 20, 2010, 02:47:07 AM

That's creepy.  :x

Everything is going to be okay, right Nigel?   :aww:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.