News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Why Norton?

Started by PopeTom, March 21, 2010, 11:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeTom

Has there ever been an explanation as to why Emperor Norton took on such a role as he has in Discordiaism?
Is it just because he was a West Coast eccentric and the whole shebang started up out there?

Within the past couple of years I had discovered the life of "Lord" Timothy Dexter.  I can't help but think he did more to upset the establishment of the day by being successful through sheer stupid luck.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: PopeTom on March 21, 2010, 11:20:31 PM
Has there ever been an explanation as to why Emperor Norton took on such a role as he has in Discordiaism?

Divine maniac.
Molon Lube

the last yatto

Our First Emperor could have prevented the Civilwar... well that is if the army actually arrested the president
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Elder Iptuous

That fellow has a pretty excellent wiki writeup.
thanks for pointing him out.  now i want to read his book....

Lies

Wow, I can't believe people are asking such questions here.

Go burn yourself at the stake, heathen, til you learn your lesson as to why you should not question ancient discordian wisdom.

So it is written, so shall it be, AND DONT ASK WHY OR YOU WON'T GET ANY SUPPER BEFORE BED
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Cain

Stupid luck, or AWESOME LUCK?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 22, 2010, 01:10:53 AM
Quote from: PopeTom on March 21, 2010, 11:20:31 PM

Divine maniac.

This.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Dexter was successful through weird success...

Norton was 'successful' (for varying definitions of the term) because he imposed his reality upon everyone else and got them to play along.

As far as I'm concerned, they're both great Discordian archetypes ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

MMIX

Neither of them would last five minutes around here - dumb hippies . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

PopeTom

Quote from: Cain on March 22, 2010, 04:02:59 PM
Stupid luck, or AWESOME LUCK?

The determination of if luck is 'stupid' or 'awesome' probably depends on what side of the luck you are on.

For Lord Dexter it was awesome luck.  For those society members with old money it was stupid luck.

I happen to really like the selling coal to Newcastle story.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Hail Eris!

PopeTom

Quote from: Lysergic on March 22, 2010, 03:28:22 PM
Wow, I can't believe people are asking such questions here.

Go burn yourself at the stake, heathen, til you learn your lesson as to why you should not question ancient discordian wisdom.

So it is written, so shall it be, AND DONT ASK WHY OR YOU WON'T GET ANY SUPPER BEFORE BED

Person, I'm only one guy.
-PopeTom

Hail Eris!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MMIX on March 22, 2010, 07:49:42 PM

Norton wouldn't bother with this place

for one thing, there was no such thing as computers when he was alive.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 22, 2010, 10:33:49 PM
Quote from: MMIX on March 22, 2010, 07:49:42 PM

Norton wouldn't bother with this place

for one thing, there was no such thing as computers when he was alive.

Also, he wouldn't have had the money to get online.

Although maybe he could have borrowed Mark Twain's net connection to post a few Proclamations.

"AS EMPEROR OF THESE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA I ORDER YOU TO STFU, POSTHASTE!"
                                     \
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Lord Quantum

I've always wondered what it would be like to actually meet the person with the best luck in the world. And now I know. Also, I hereby nominate Lord Dexter for Sainthood. All in agreement, say aye.
Quote from: Cain on March 28, 2010, 09:44:45 PM
Fuck it.  I'm going to get ordained as a Catholic priest and start robbing banks and mugging people.  I mean, apparently, you can be excused any crime if you're in with the Big V.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 28, 2008, 02:09:45 AM

Lets try it on an even simpler level:

1) There is a minimum energy/mass things can have, everything can be measured in a multiple of this minimum.

2) Objects at this size, or close to it, don't have an exact position or velocity, so they look like waves in most experiments.

3) If you try to measure the location, they act more like particles, just to fuck with you, but the velocity gets more uncertain, also just to fuck with you.

Conclusion: God hates physicists.

GASMs - PosterGASM (Calvinball edition), AbbyGASM

Pirate Pass Off Scorecard (5)

Iason Ouabache

Awesome man! The living embodiment of "Never attribute to intelligence that which can be adequately explained by sheer dumb luck."
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘