News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

Why Norton?

Started by PopeTom, March 21, 2010, 11:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

Well, for a start, he was English, (and as far as good starting points, for Emperors, England is a winner)
He was mad as a box of frogs, but in a good way. He knew stuff too, like right from wrong, and knew how to get his point across.And he didn't mind standing up, and pointing out any bullshit that needed pointing out, in a day when doing so didn't exactly make you popular. (Did it ever?)
Geographical fortuitousness. Well, he wouldn't have been quite so well received up the coast a ways, in Los Angeles for instance. And his name was the same as Fonzy's motorcycle. (British too)  :fnord:
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 22, 2010, 10:33:49 PM
Quote from: MMIX on March 22, 2010, 07:49:42 PM
Neither of them would last five minutes around here - dumb hippies . . .

Norton wouldn't bother with this place

for one thing, there was no such thing as computers when he was alive.

The emperor of the US has much more important things to do that dick around on an internet forum.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Number_6

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 22, 2010, 06:32:14 PM
Dexter was successful through weird success...

Norton was 'successful' (for varying definitions of the term) because he imposed his reality upon everyone else and got them to play along.

As far as I'm concerned, they're both great Discordian archetypes ;-)

This answer makes sense to me

BadBeast

Quote from: Number_6 on April 11, 2010, 05:18:02 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on March 22, 2010, 06:32:14 PM
Dexter was successful through weird success...

Norton was 'successful' (for varying definitions of the term) because he imposed his reality upon everyone else and got them to play along.

As far as I'm concerned, they're both great Discordian archetypes ;-)

This answer makes sense to me
Is that supposed to validate the veracity of this answer in some way? Because it doesn't.  :fap:
(now I just want to go and think about it some more, before I commit myself)
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: PopeTom on March 21, 2010, 11:20:31 PM
Has there ever been an explanation as to why Emperor Norton took on such a role as he has in Discordiaism?
Is it just because he was a West Coast eccentric and the whole shebang started up out there?

I'd say it was because he went crazy in a way that made him a human being on a level approaching Gandhi or MLK.
Molon Lube

Chairman Risus

Quote from: PopeTom on March 21, 2010, 11:20:31 PM
Has there ever been an explanation as to why Emperor Norton took on such a role as he has in Discordiaism?
Is it just because he was a West Coast eccentric and the whole shebang started up out there?

Within the past couple of years I had discovered the life of "Lord" Timothy Dexter.  I can't help but think he did more to upset the establishment of the day by being successful through sheer stupid luck.

Because he was the Goddamn Emperor. That's why.

malvarma

Follow me at http://twitter.com/normalioifyp and I'll follow you back. Let's totally be BFFs.

BadBeast

Quote from: malvarma on July 10, 2010, 11:40:54 PM
NOT MY EMPEROR!
Well, obviously not, seeing as he died in 1880!

Jasper

I don't understand the question. 

That Norton is a Discordian role model is axiomatic to me.  It's like asking why things exist.

LMNO

Fucking Things, why do they exist?

Cain

BadBeast

Quote from: LMNO on July 12, 2010, 12:45:33 PM
Steady on there, you Thingophobe, some of my best friends are 'Things'!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: malvarma on July 10, 2010, 11:40:54 PM
NOT MY EMPEROR!

Then go move to Cuba, you fucking communist.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: BadBeast on July 12, 2010, 08:05:30 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I really, really like fucking Things.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on July 12, 2010, 08:07:54 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on July 12, 2010, 08:05:30 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I really, really like fucking Things.

And that's why every tailpipe in Boston has that weird glaze.
Molon Lube